Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Control Mystery

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

I have had FS2004 for a couple of years now with no problem. Recently I built a new computer and transferred FS2004 to it. I went several days with no problem. I downloaded Dreamfleet's A36 and installed it. I then realized I did not have the 9.1 patch installed so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. The Dreamfleet/Flight One planes were still there so I uninstalled again and this time deleted all directories left by the uninstall. I reinstalled FS2004, used the 9.1 patch, and then reinstalled the A36 and the Flight One Cessna 152 and Piper Archer I had. Everything appears fine until I exit a flight to the Caribbean I am doing in the A36 to do some touch and gos at the local airport in the Cessna 152. I go to rotate and I have no controls. The ailerons are stuck in a left bank and the elevator barely moves. I calibrate my MS Precision 2 joystick (which didn't need it) and try again. Same thing happens. I exit FS2004 and calibrate the joystick from the Control Panel. Restart FS2004 and same thing happens. I try a default Cessna 172 and a diferent airport and still no control. I reboot my computer and try again and still no control. At this point it's after midnight and I said, "Screw it", and went to bed. This morning I fire it up to try and figure out the problem with coffee and a good night's sleep and everything works normally. Only thing I can come up with is maybe the processor was overheating. It's a P4 2.4 and normally is fine because I have a lot of air moving through the case but I didn't check the temperature before I shut it down. Anyone seen anything similar or have any ideas?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's very possible that it's heat. You have to keep the inside clean of dust and I would add an extra case fan on the (inside) back grid of the case to expel the hot air.
The sim is very graphic intensive and has a habit of pushing the computer as hard as it can.
I think you can use this monitor (read it over), I use it and it comes in very handy.
It was a big help to me last night in diagnosing a problem that came out of nowhere.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

It's very possible that it's heat. You have to keep the inside clean of dust and I would add an extra case fan on the (inside) back grid of the case to expel the hot air.
The sim is very graphic intensive and has a habit of pushing the computer as hard as it can.
I think you can use this monitor (read it over), I use it and it comes in very handy.
It was a big help to me last night in diagnosing a problem that came out of nowhere.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Radar

Thanks. I know about the P4 heating problems and installed beefed up cooling on the chip and a case fan in the side blowing on the heat exchanger. The computer is new using a processor out of non-working computer bought from my daughters boyfriend. It needed a new motherboard and rather than pay for that he bought a new Dell. Anyway I figured out what is happening. It's a little embarrassing but like I said it was late last night when the problem cropped up. If I start out flying the Dreamfleet Bonanza and exit that flight with the autopilot on, every subsequent flight also starts with the autopilot on. It's still not right, but it's easy enough to fix now that I know what to look for. By the way, this case also has a cut out in the rear for a fan and I think I'm going to put an exhaust fan in there. That should give me a gale going over the processor heat sink.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Glad to see you solved it.
Anytime you have a fan taking in cool air you have to have a fan to take the hot out or all your doing is circulating the hot air.
Good cooling can solve a multitude of problems, it's always difficult to convince someone of that.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

I keep my tower in the refrigerator.

Just kidding 😎