Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Difficulties w/ thrust

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

In the Posky 752, I find that when I'm configured for landing, ie. flaps 30, gear down, etc. etc. I try to maintain about 135-140 kts, but to do that, it takes thrust levels +70%. I wouldn't want to tamper with the thrust settings in the cfg, because when I descend, I find it very difficult to get below 250 kts, descending at a rate of 1700fpm. I'm using quite a bit of spoilers during my descent, which I don't think should always be necessary, but what about the landing. I don't think it should take the 752 that much thrust on landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I don't think it is anything out of the ordinary to have around 60-70% N1 to maintain speed, depending on your weight. Don't forget, that you are dealing with a lot of drag in landing, with 30 degrees of flaps on both wings, and a huge undercarriage.

Look at this picture:

http://photos.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/5/9/0969952.jpg

You can just make out, that the thrust N1 is at around 60-65%.

As for speed restrictions, I suggest you start your descent earlier so when passing FL100, you can keep your speed down to below 250 KIAS, because you will need a shallower descent rate if you have started your descent earlier.

In general, it sounds like you are carrying too much fuel, which would cause excessive thrust in landing and inability to reduce speed on descent.

Hope that helps a bit 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I agree with 99jolegg. Well put. 👍 Not much I could add, I'll just shut up. ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

Thanks for that Jon 😀 . I was only landing with about 20% fuel, which I think is acceptable, however if that kind of thrust sounds reasonable, then I have no complaints 😉 . As far as the 250 kts, I only descend when requested by the controller, but I think I've figured out a plan. When I begin my initial descent, ie. up to around 18000-20000 feet, I'll have a higher VSR, allowing me to reduce it as I approach 10000, to a rate which would allow the aircraft to slow down. I don't know if that is proper flight techniques, but until I find a more reasonable way, I'll stick with this.

PS: I can't descend earlier because I'm flying with IFR, and ATC determines my start of descent 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

but I think I've figured out a plan. When I begin my initial descent, ie. up to around 18000-20000 feet, I'll have a higher VSR, allowing me to reduce it as I approach 10000, to a rate which would allow the aircraft to slow down

Thats just what I was going to suggest. You can have a high descent rate (as long are you aren't pitching down more than 4-5 degrees) at the TOD and then lower it at around 15000ft to 1500-1200fpm to reduce speed.

👍