Chopper Engine Failure

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Hi all,

A while back I started a discussion about engine failures in helicopters and learnt that it is possible to make the rotar blades act as a sort of parachute.
Now is this possible in FS? I climbed to 2000ft and cut the engines and the rotar stopped moving completely and I crashed.

Thanks!!

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

In the event of an engine failure the helicopter descends in controlled flight through a maneuver called “autorotation.” It is a maneuver requiring great pilot skills. Frequently the aircraft is landed without damage and many pilots would prefer to have an engine failure in a helicopter versus an airplane. Autorotations are less common as the fleet has evolved to twin engine helicopters.

Autorotation explained...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorotation

I would imagine that it is modelled within FS although I've never tried it
😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I've never been able to get the helicopters in Flight Simulator to autorotate properly. I haven't spent much time on it, could just be me. I have a feeling that it's a mistake in the program. Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Microsoft jacked-up the autorotation characteristics of the helicopters.

In a real helicopter, you measure the down-turns with the collective all the way down(This is sometimes refered to as 0* pitch, but it is in reality 4-5 degrees, this keeps the blades spinning... This is the speed that the rotor-blades spin based on air flowing against the positive pitch as the helicopter is pulled to the ground by gravity.

The down-turn percentage should be 100-107% of normal Rotor-Blade speed.

In a real helicopter, push the collective all the way down, then pull up when you get close to the ground.

In the stupid Microsoft helicopter, you have to adjust collective for the autorotation(it is the throttle control in MSFS, the engine speed is non-controllable in the FS helicopter(Well, you can choose idle(60%) or adjust the beeps(99%-102%)). The rotor blades in MSFS are not adjusted correctly, when you put the collective all the way down, they DO go to 0-degree pitch, which means there is no incentive for them to keep spinning, and the drag quickly stops them.

In MSFS, you have to adjust to a rotor pitch which will maintain 100% rotor speed, which is about 1/16-1/8 throttle.

Good luck.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...