Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Flight Sim X on intel iMac

darrensen Guest

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying an iMac and running Vista (when available on it). Will the hardware in a mac run Flight sim X at a faily high standard?

CPU 2.0ghz Core Duo
1GB DDR 2 RAM
500gb Hard Drive
X1600 256mb GPU

I might wait until the release the Core Duo 2 (64bit cpu) So i may have the 2.2GHZ cpu.

Thanks all

Darren

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Vista want's 1 gig of memory for itself so I would get 2 or 3 gigs to have smooth loading, texture rendering, flying etc.
A faster CPU is a good idea, good investment.

Be sure to come back and let us know how it runs on a Mac.

Radar

darresen Guest

Maybe i should just put 900 investment into my pc and think about getting a mac later on.

Flight sim comes before gettign a mac and if it wont run as well then maybe i should just stick to PC's for the moment.

I do have access to an Intel Imac so when flight sim X comes out i will try it out on that.

I will let all know the results of my test.

Many thanks for your help.

P.S Would be good to hear of anyone running FS2004 on a mac?

Pro Member Trainee
darrensen Trainee

But if i even want to think of putting it on full rates i'll need a Directx 10 GPU? I'm not sure when the iMacs will get this?

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

It's not a question of if. it's when. they need flight sim for mac. it would make a great profit for both. and plus we all know that the macs own the floor when it comes to graphics. it would be worth it, but it will take such a long time to develop that all they would be doing is trying to catch up and keep up.

"macs own the floor with graphics"....where the hell have you been Laughing With macs u are stuck with the Censored that comes with them and dont have the benefit of upgrading your graphics card, all im saying is macs are useless when it comes to games and im sure you will agree...however, I do agree that they are better for film editing, and rendering.but they just cant compared.

Censored By Radar

Pro Member Trainee
darrensen Trainee

When the new Intel Destops come out you'll be able to upgrade with ease!

well that just proves macs suck, now they are using things that originated from the pc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

well that just proves macs suck, now they are using things that originated from the pc.

If by suck, you mean they are stable, have an operating system that without the blue screen of death that isn't prone to viruses, trojans and other malware, you might be right. Until now the only thing a Mac couldn't do is run software written for Windows. Now it can!

I would consider a Mac. I'd run FS under windows and do everything else under the Mac OS.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

you might think im crazy but what is an imac????? Umm...

Pro Member Trainee
darrensen Trainee

JarJarBinks wrote:

you might think im crazy but what is an imac????? Umm...

go to http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/6194040/wo/qv6At62sEk9z3soC9w12v2SY5UZ/0.PSLID?mco=899BECBF&nclm=iMac

Thats a mac!

bocboc Guest

thats insane the amount of ram it requires to run the beast, im sure the program must have grown to a level of complexity the same number of fold since xp, probably in the intelligence behind the window facade (artificial that is). Some of the features probably less known have already a hint of that like voice sam that works much like ATC in FS, and handwriting recognition for asian language. Next step, probably microsoft will turn the thing into a real HAL with capabilty of facial recognition and spoken language that will take any command given to it through more like human interaction than the old mouse and keyboard. Laughing

Until now the only thing a Mac couldn't do is run software written for Windows. Now it can!

I doubt it will run vista,(I may be wrong) and this is just another example of how macs are always one step behind pc's and how they borrow from the pc until it is actually a pc itself.

have an operating system that without the blue screen of death that isn't prone to viruses, trojans and other malware

you will not be able to say that when vista comes out....(actually you probably will) but who knows...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Until now the only thing a Mac couldn't do is run software written for Windows. Now it can!

I doubt it will run vista,(I may be wrong) and this is just another example of how macs are always one step behind pc's and how they borrow from the pc until it is actually a pc itself.

have an operating system that without the blue screen of death that isn't prone to viruses, trojans and other malware

you will not be able to say that when vista comes out....(actually you probably will) but who knows...

The only thing that has held the Mac back was their stubborn reliance on Motorola/IBM chipsets...especially the IBM part.

Most software developers were unwilling to port their products to the Mac because there wasn't enough of a market to justify the cost.

OS X is a much better OS thatn Windows XP, and it is Vista that is playing catch-up. I mean how many years has it taken MS to learn that giving administrative privileges to accounts by default is just plain stupid.

You are confusing the functions of hardware and software. The hardware is the dumb part of the computer, the OS and softwarre is what5 really matters.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

We have just posted an article about running FSX on a Mac:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4665/