Planning to buy Flight simulator 2004...

X-rjs23 Guest

I read the comments, interviews, and reviews about flight simulator. It made me wanting to buy it and i am planning to buy it. I need to know what to buy like do i need a joystick to be able to fly planes or other necessary items.

And also, i am curious to know if this game has closed caption or subtile feature. I am a hard hearing person.

Let me know which my computers is best to run this game, I have two comptuers and the following specs are:

First computer:
Dell- 4700 model made in 2003
2.4GHz Pentium 4
512 DRam Bus 333mhz (i think)
256Mb ATI RADOEN X900 (AGP 4x or 8x)
Window XP SP2 with direct version 9c
Two extended monitors (i wonder if i can play with two monitor with different views?)

Second computer:
Dell- 4700 model made in 2005
2.8GHz Pentium 4 HT (hyperthreading)
512 DRAM bus 333mhz
128mb ATI Randoen X300 (AGP 2X)
Window XP SP2 wit hdirect version 9c
One monitor

I am sorry if i post in wrong forum.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

They are both good to use but both need more memory, bring it up to 1 gig or more if you can.
(I would go with #2)

If you use two monitors it will make the video card work harder and reduce your FPS (Frames Per Second) which will make the aircraft stutter, it can be done but you will have to turn down the other features to compensate for them.

As far as sound why not get a set of earphones that should be of some help, the sounds of the aircraft and the ATC are part of the enjoyment.

The joystick is a important part of flying, it can be done with a keyboard but it's much more difficult and you will get tired of doing it after a short while.

Radar

They are both good to use but both need more memory, bring it up to 1 gig or more if you can.
(I would go with #2)

Hm, i'll consider about this.

If you use two monitors it will make the video card work harder and reduce your FPS (Frames Per Second) which will make the aircraft stutter, it can be done but you will have to turn down the other features to compensate for them.

That is true. What is the mimium MB required? 64mb?

As far as sound why not get a set of earphones that should be of some help, the sounds of the aircraft and the ATC are part of the enjoyment.

Ill try that and see if i like it.

The joystick is a important part of flying, it can be done with a keyboard but it's much more difficult and you will get tired of doing it after a short while.

True but you still have to use keyboard for flaps/landing/ ect somethjing like that right?

One more thing, does this game has CC (closed caption) feature?

I think I know what you mean by closed caption, where people who are not good at hearing can see what is being said

You can see what ATC is saying because it is written and everything is written down that people say (such as if you have the add-in fspassengers)

x-rjs23 Guest

I think I know what you mean by closed caption, where people who are not good at hearing can see what is being said

Yes extactly

So this game does have this feature. Im glad to hear this 🙂

TimTim Guest

Here is a screenshot

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You ask about the minimum, I guess you mean the video card. Yes they say that's the minimum but it's fairly worthless, I had one and bought a 128 which I consider the minimum.

If you mean memory, XP needs 128mb, the programs in the background use more that leaves precious little for the sim.

Your much better off with a joystick but you can print out the keyboard commands, they do come in handy.
I did it long ago.

http://www.scenery.org/_downloads/fs2004keys.zip

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor (Flyboy92) First Officer

For your flaps question it all depends on the way you want it, for instance you can go into the setting and click on change assingment and click the button of the joystick you would prefer to use it for. Or like me you can use the default buttons (F5-F8 ) to adjust your flaps. i hope you get what i mean by this 😉

Flyboy92

Hm that screenshot looks nice.

You ask about the minimum, I guess you mean the video card. Yes they say that's the minimum but it's fairly worthless, I had one and bought a 128 which I consider the minimum.

If you mean memory, XP needs 128mb, the programs in the background use more that leaves precious little for the sim.

Your much better off with a joystick but you can print out the keyboard commands, they do come in handy.
I did it long ago.

Yes, i meant video card. So i guess im willing to see a good and smooth FPS rate in default graphic setup once i play it right or do i have to put everything in minimium or lowest?

The file you uploaded will be very helpful to me. Wow, i mean this commands and feature... it has more features than the old Warbird 2 games.

For your flaps question it all depends on the way you want it, for instance you can go into the setting and click on change assingment and click the button of the joystick you would prefer to use it for. Or like me you can use the default buttons (F5-F8 ) to adjust your flaps. i hope you get what i mean by this

Yea, i'd go for default buttons.

I have to wait till tommorrow to buy this game :/. Cant wait.

What is the best part u like abuot this game?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I dont know what you mean by Best Part.Its not like games which you can say i like this level and i dont like the other.

The best part of flights?All the flight.
Personally i like the fact that you can add so many things and make FS better and better and customise to what you like most.

😉

X-rjs23 Guest

I dont know what you mean by Best Part.Its not like games which you can say i like this level and i dont like the other.

The best part of flights?All the flight.
Personally i like the fact that you can add so many things and make FS better and better and customise to what you like most.

Like features, graphic, computer AI, anyhting..what impressive me the most about this game is that you can actually switch oin/off using mouse in cockpit view..

I need to get off.. My newphew is crying at loud

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your card should be able to handle it quite well, as I said you'll enjoy it more with more ram and later on you can get a better card if the $ holds out.
There are some nice add ones that add new life to the sim, like Ultimate Traffic.
http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FLT-UT-001

Don't worry about all of those keyboard commands the overwhelming majority of them will never be needed. Many will be handled quite well by a good joystick with a number of programmed buttons and a high hat. A twist handle is excellent for a rudder.

Radar

Your card should be able to handle it quite well, as I said you'll enjoy it more with more ram and later on you can get a better card if the $ holds out.
There are some nice add ones that add new life to the sim, like Ultimate Traffic.

Yea good. im thinking abuot tweaking it into the higher level of graphicing. The software i will be using for X300 (for my #2 computer) is RivaTuner. RiverTuner is great opmtizer software for ATI and NVIDA Cards.

Don't worry about all of those keyboard commands the overwhelming majority of them will never be needed. Many will be handled quite well by a good joystick with a number of programmed buttons and a high hat. A twist handle is excellent for a rudder.

lol, yea no worry, ill get used to it eventually.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

What is the best part u like abuot this game?

For me, its simple - you have the entire world to fly in. Even if you are
playing with minimum system specs and everything default, you still have an
amazingly accurate representation of the actual planet.

That said, fs9 is so wonderfully upgradable that you can transform your entire experience
of it each day through add-ons and system tweaks. The only limitation is time and
(in some cases) money!!

😎

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...