SearchSearch 

Out of control!!

Rich T Guest

I am beginning to hate FS9.

I have been flying along for over 6 hours in my RAF Lockheed Tristar from Brize Norton to Kabul, Afghanistan. Happily cruising along on auto-pilot at 31,000 and about to enjoy a beautiful sunset. Suddenly, the engines start winding up and the plane starts to pitch up. The altimeter is suddenly showing over 60,000 and going crazy, the AT no longer respondes so I disengage, but the slightest touch on the throttle makes the engines go crazy, and I have ATC screaming at me to expedite my climb to 31,000, even though the altimeter is showing 75,000!!!

I disengaged AP but still have no idea what height I am at or how to control the speed. I check everything is as it should be, but no longer have any idea what is happenning. I turn AP back on but still can't control it. I also saved it and rebooted my PC, but it was still the same when I returned.

What or why has this happenned? It has totally ruined several hours of enjoyment.

Rich

13 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

Are u using FSP, if yes so u are going over a fire zone, or war zone w/e its called, and the same in real or.. ofcaurse ur altimeter is always geting confused so press the button b, and it will get to the normal altitufe, or u just didnt c u probebly puted the AP to 60,000 ALT. try that with the B button it should help always.

jdf;ljksdfkl;jfafjdls Guest

Speaking of war zones, maybe in the next version of FS you'll have to dodge missiles when you fly over enemy territories. That would add an interesting element to gameplay.

The altitude is set at 31,000 and I pressed B a hundred times.

I was actually over Turkmenistan, and didn't think FS9 was that intelligent to have fire zones.

What is FSP and how do I get it to work?

Rich

FsPassengers

www.fspassengers.com

[quote="jdf;ljksdfkl;jfafjdls!]Speaking of war zones, maybe in the next version of FS you'll have to dodge missiles when you fly over enemy territories. That would add an interesting element to gameplay.[/quote]

Eh no, this is a flight simulator, not a game of dodgeball

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

The altitude is set at 31,000 and I pressed B a hundred times.

I was actually over Turkmenistan, and didn't think FS9 was that intelligent to have fire zones.

What is FSP and how do I get it to work?

Rich

Pressing B more than once when you are above transition altitude, does nothing.

What was your IAS when all of this was happening?

This has nothing to do with FSP, which is an addon.

Crash Gordon

My IAS was 240kts, about 20 below the indicated maximum. I had flown from England, over Europe and the Caspian Sea and just into Turkmenistan when the problems started.

When turning off the AT and then turning on again, the thottle wouldn't settle and kept revving up and own. I didn't have de-ice or pitot heat on, but surely this would have caused a problem a long time beforehand if it was this??

Rich

Pro Member Chief Captain

If the problem were pitot icing, your IAS would have dropped drastically. By any chance, did you have the GPS visible? If so, do you recall your ground speed?

My GPS was up. My IAS was showing 257 (although the AP was set to 240), but the ground speed was showing 129.

My heading was still OK though.

Rich

Pro Member Chief Captain

This is going to sound improbable, but I am going to guess you had one monster headwind.

Normally, when you are at that altitude, your ground speed will be substantially greater that IAS.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I had this happen once mid flight, everything was freaking out, altitude, speed, everything, just kept flying, and eventually it stopped after awhile, only had it happen one flight and that was it. NO idea what the hell happened.

It did happen to me before some time ago.

I guess I will open up the throttle and go by the ground speed on the GPS, and just see if the altimeter goes back to normal eventually.

I feel like those poor guys on Air Crash Investigation, when things start going wrong and they don't know why!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

It did happen to me before some time ago.

I guess I will open up the throttle and go by the ground speed on the GPS, and just see if the altimeter goes back to normal eventually.

I feel like those poor guys on Air Crash Investigation, when things start going wrong and they don't know why!!

If it happens again, hit Shift-Z 3 times and see what the wind speed is. Sometimes, the best way to deal with head winds is to change altitude.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Did you check your failures menu on the main flight screen?