Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

A few weather-related questions

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

I've noticed a few things when flying that are quite unrealistic which I'd like to resolve, and I also have one general question to ask, so here they go --

1) How come, if I have the weather set to display 8/8 Thunderstorms, and cloud coverage set to full, I still see patches in the sky? Also, when I get above the clouds, I can see below me -- I'd rather see just clouds if that is the way the weather is set.

2) I was landing in Orlando just a few minutes ago, with rain set to very heavy. I touched down, then all of a sudden, the rain just stopped. This happens when I'm below the clouds, i.e. rain comes and goes at its will, with no intermediate forms

3) It is my understanding that in meteorology, when someone says the winds are at 360, it means they are coming from 360, not going to 360. Is this also true in FS -- i.e. If it tells you winds 360/8, is the wind going to, or heading from 360.

I'd appreciate it if you could please answer my questions -- THanks for your help 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

I've noticed a few things when flying that are quite unrealistic which I'd like to resolve, and I also have one general question to ask, so here they go --

1) How come, if I have the weather set to display 8/8 Thunderstorms, and cloud coverage set to full, I still see patches in the sky? Also, when I get above the clouds, I can see below me -- I'd rather see just clouds if that is the way the weather is set.

2) I was landing in Orlando just a few minutes ago, with rain set to very heavy. I touched down, then all of a sudden, the rain just stopped. This happens when I'm below the clouds, i.e. rain comes and goes at its will, with no intermediate forms

3) It is my understanding that in meteorology, when someone says the winds are at 360, it means they are coming from 360, not going to 360. Is this also true in FS -- i.e. If it tells you winds 360/8, is the wind going to, or heading from 360.

I'd appreciate it if you could please answer my questions -- THanks for your help 😉

For questions 1 and 2, I believe you can stop the weather changing by lowering the slider that says 'Weather Change' or 'Dynamic Weather Change' in the weather settings.

As for question 3, when you receive weather information such as 360 at 8 then yes, the wind is coming from the North as opposed to going to the North.

1) Do you have 3D cloud percentage as far right as your graphic card can support??

2) This happens in Flight Sim to almost everyone. I do not think there is any way to stop it, but then I am not sure

3) As far as I know this means its coming from 360. So if you set the wind to 360 and your plane is facing north you are against the wind

Hope this helps