Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

GPS vs NAV

Pro Member First Officer
mcmxl First Officer

I know how to use the NAV radio to do an ILS approach, and I know how to set in a flight in the GPS and a bit about the pocedures page on the GPS. I would like to know if I can put an approach in the GPS that will fly the approach like the NAV ILS approach? Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I believe that you can programme an approach into the GPS via the procedures page. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) Approach Guide
1) Open up the GPS.

2) Click the button on the right hand side at the top with "--->" on.

3) Click the right arrow on the inner knob on the bottom right hand side of the GPS once and enter the 4 digit ICAO code for the airport. For example, London Heathrow = EGLL.

4) Click "ENT" on the right hand side and then use the right arrow on the outer knob until the cursor reaches "Activate" and then click "ENT" again.

5) Now click "PROC" at the bottom of the GPS.

6) Click "ENT" when the cursor is over "Select Approach". Choose the approach you would like by moving the cursor by clicking the left or right arrow on the outer knob. For example, ILS 29L.

7) Click "ENT" and pick the waypoint from wich you would like the approach to your selected runway to start from. If you would like it to start in a straight line from the runway about 15nm's out, select Vectors (Recommended).

8) Click "ENT". Click on the right outer arrow so cursor is on "Activate" and click "ENT".

9) Your flight plan will then appear. Click "PROC" twice and the approach will be set up.

Captin Calvo Guest

mcmxl wrote:

I know how to use the NAV radio to do an ILS approach, and I know how to set in a flight in the GPS and a bit about the pocedures page on the GPS. I would like to know if I can put an approach in the GPS that will fly the approach like the NAV ILS approach? Confused

yes you can make sure your settings are right it should work sometimes it wont be a perfect landing iv seen a french airline pilot have auto pilot land the plane and it blew up so

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

For GPS approaches there are a few things to consider:

1. GPS approaches are not charted for all runways.

2. Some GPS approaches mirror the lateral course of other approaches such as ILS or LOC approaches, some are totally independent.

3. If the name of the approach has a letter in place of a runway number(VOR A or NDB A), these will not align you completely with a runway.

4. Approach minimums for GPS approaches is higher than ILS or LOC approaches, normally around MDA of 400 FT. AGL with a visibility of 1 mile, 1/2 mile visibility if appropriate approach lights are installed and terrain/obstacle clearance allows. LNAV/VNAV and GLS minimums are only for specially certified GPS receivers, more will gain approval with time.
www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0606/00107R6R.PDF

5. There is no vertical guidance(no Glideslope) using a GPS approach. Some real life GPS are capable of using LNAV/VNAV vertical guidance but not most, none in default FS. No autoland capability using the GPS Approach. They are very similar to VOR approaches but of course you don't need the VOR station nearby. That's the advantage of the GPS, it allows authorities to create an approach to most runways without expensive ground radio stations or at locations where the placement geometry of available radio station locations is unsuitable. Smile