Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

More RAM?

JonnyKoala Guest

I have just bought FS2004 - triffic. I am running it on a Dell 2.66GHz with a 128MB graphics card and 512MB RAM. I want to increase my resolution of scenery and weather effects, but it's really slowing my frame rate down.

I was wondering whether slapping in another 256MB or even 512MB of RAM would make a substantial difference? Look forward to some advice from you experts!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

As long as your motherboard can take more, use it.
Bump it up as much as possible, 1 gig with that CPU would be great. I've seen many "home built" machines listed with 2 gig's of ram, that's pushing it but it's a cheap investment compared to others.
What 128mb card do you have.

Radar

JonnyKoala Guest

Thanks RadarMan.

Graphics card is a NVidia GeForce FX5200. Not sure if this is any good, but am hoping it's got enough power to handle FS2004.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Part of this and another post deal with that card.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1558/cockpit-view-not-visualizing-flight-instruments/

Radar

Thats me, I forgot to sign back in.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Turtle5x5 Trainee

That video card "fx 5200" is really poor. I had a geforce 4 4200Ti and replaced it with a 5200 thinking it would be better. It's not! It was slower! I then got a 5700 ultra which is faster than the 4200Ti. Now I have a ATI 9800 pro which I'm pretty happy with.

The point is, That card will give you poor frame rates no matter how much RAM you have.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😂 Before you bin the card have a read of this earlier post regarding a fx5200 ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/1121/video-card-question/

These exact settings may not work on your pc ......but try and start there and lower things bit by bit if its not right

I hope it helps(as it may save you $$$)

Pro Member Trainee
Scondy1 Trainee

JonnyKoala wrote:

I have just bought FS2004 - triffic. I am running it on a Dell 2.66GHz with a 128MB graphics card and 512MB RAM. I want to increase my resolution of scenery and weather effects, but it's really slowing my frame rate down.

I was wondering whether slapping in another 256MB or even 512MB of RAM would make a substantial difference? Look forward to some advice from you experts!

YES THAT should MAKE THE FRAME RATE BETTER BUT WHAT I DO IS WHENEVER I'M WORKING WITH WATER I MAKE THE WATER RES BETTER AND THE SAME WITH LAND.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

HI there - Guarantee you'll find a positive difference with 1024Mb ... My friend upgraded from 512 to 1024 DDR RAM and Flight Sim rund amazingly on his system