Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Southwest to test Assigned Seating

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Personally I hope that SWA does not do this. But, if it turns out to be more economical, I guess I can live with it. Here's the link to the story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060620/ap_on_bi_ge/southwest_seating

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

about time southwest got more organized

Pro Member Chief Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Chief Captain

That is news but i don´t now if good or bad.... Confused
Thanks for it Exclamation

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think it's bad that the airlines assign seats, I've never understood the need. I don't even agree with boarding by seating zones. People should sit in whatever seat that they can arrive at before someone else. In a college classroom, restaurant or on a local bus, you can't choose the exact seat you want. In an office environment, you usually can't pick your office or cubicle. You can't choose your seat on a subway or commuter train. On a cruise or at a hotel pool, you can't choose the exact deck chair that you want. You also don't get to choose your seat in a movie theater. All the seats depart and arrive at the same time. IMHO Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I think it's bad that the airlines assign seats, I've never understood the need. I don't even agree with boarding by seating zones. People should sit in whatever seat that they can arrive at before someone else. In a college classroom, restaurant or on a local bus, you can't choose the exact seat you want. In an office environment, you usually can't pick your office or cubicle. You can't choose your seat on a subway or commuter train. On a cruise or at a hotel pool, you can't choose the exact deck chair that you want. You also don't get to choose your seat in a movie theater. All the seats depart and arrive at the same time. IMHO Smile

in other words "First Come First Serve" Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I see what you mean CRJCaptain but in my expierience of easyjet...the lack of assigned seating for some reason makes everyone think there aren't enough seats on the plane Rolling Eyes and so boarding is like hearding a pack of sheep Laughing

Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

I see what you mean CRJCaptain but in my expierience of easyjet...the lack of assigned seating for some reason makes everyone think there aren't enough seats on the plane Rolling Eyes and so boarding is like hearding a pack of sheep Laughing

ROFL The herd mentality!!! To be honest, I haven't flown SW since 2000,
but I never really noticed too much of a bull rush. That was just from Kansas City
to New Orleans every so often - neither airport is very busy.

Cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

That's gonna be bad, real bad I think. Many of my flight experiences have began with a crappy seat, and ended with a seat next to an emergency door with plenty of leg room. I've even fallen asleep on the floor. With assigned seating, how would one go about asking a attendant for a different seat.

Besides, what are they going to do once they assign the seat anyway; roll call?