Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Southwest to test Assigned Seating

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Personally I hope that SWA does not do this. But, if it turns out to be more economical, I guess I can live with it. Here's the link to the story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060620/ap_on_bi_ge/southwest_seating

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

about time southwest got more organized

Pro Member Chief Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Chief Captain

That is news but i don´t now if good or bad.... 😕
Thanks for it ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think it's bad that the airlines assign seats, I've never understood the need. I don't even agree with boarding by seating zones. People should sit in whatever seat that they can arrive at before someone else. In a college classroom, restaurant or on a local bus, you can't choose the exact seat you want. In an office environment, you usually can't pick your office or cubicle. You can't choose your seat on a subway or commuter train. On a cruise or at a hotel pool, you can't choose the exact deck chair that you want. You also don't get to choose your seat in a movie theater. All the seats depart and arrive at the same time. IMHO 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I think it's bad that the airlines assign seats, I've never understood the need. I don't even agree with boarding by seating zones. People should sit in whatever seat that they can arrive at before someone else. In a college classroom, restaurant or on a local bus, you can't choose the exact seat you want. In an office environment, you usually can't pick your office or cubicle. You can't choose your seat on a subway or commuter train. On a cruise or at a hotel pool, you can't choose the exact deck chair that you want. You also don't get to choose your seat in a movie theater. All the seats depart and arrive at the same time. IMHO 🙂

in other words "First Come First Serve" 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I see what you mean CRJCaptain but in my expierience of easyjet...the lack of assigned seating for some reason makes everyone think there aren't enough seats on the plane 🙄 and so boarding is like hearding a pack of sheep 😂

Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

pilotwannabe wrote:

I see what you mean CRJCaptain but in my expierience of easyjet...the lack of assigned seating for some reason makes everyone think there aren't enough seats on the plane 🙄 and so boarding is like hearding a pack of sheep 😂

ROFL The herd mentality!!! To be honest, I haven't flown SW since 2000,
but I never really noticed too much of a bull rush. That was just from Kansas City
to New Orleans every so often - neither airport is very busy.

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

That's gonna be bad, real bad I think. Many of my flight experiences have began with a crappy seat, and ended with a seat next to an emergency door with plenty of leg room. I've even fallen asleep on the floor. With assigned seating, how would one go about asking a attendant for a different seat.

Besides, what are they going to do once they assign the seat anyway; roll call?