Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Long trip, few questions

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Hello everyone -- Recently, I just arrived from the trans (southwest) asian, european, atlantic, and US flight from Bahrain to Dallas, via Amsterdam and Detroit -- What was supposed to be a 24 hours journey took me 38 hours due to delays, missed flights, lost baggage, etc etc. During the trip, however, a few questions came to mind.

In Bahrain, when I was sitting at the gate, I noticed that the aircraft took off and landed in all directions, using all r/ways, ie. 30L, 30R, 12L, 12R -- The winds weren't very strong that day, but even then, shouldn't they follow a specific pattern?

In all the aircraft, after an engine starts up, you hear a sort of "squeejy" sound coming from it, near the gear area. Sorry thats the only word I could use to describe it, but does anyone know what it is 🙄 --

Also, we departed Bahrain in KLM's a330-200, but a strange thing happened. The aircraft took off, turned into her pattern, started to climb, further, further, then finally, I heard the gear come up - why so late?

In detroit, we were held on the ground for about 1:30, even after our 4 hour delay at the gate, due to thunderstorms -- Lightening in the area caused all 13 aircraft waiting to depart, to just remain on the tarmac at the r/ways hold short. We were at the end of that line in NWA's a319, but couldn't they have just ignored the west departure, taken the north, then whipped around into the right direction after they departed and cleared the clouds?

THanks, and great to be back 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

As nobody else has replied, I'll give it a try...

crosscheck9 wrote:

In Bahrain, when I was sitting at the gate, I noticed that the aircraft took off and landed in all directions, using all r/ways, ie. 30L, 30R, 12L, 12R -- The winds weren't very strong that day, but even then, shouldn't they follow a specific pattern?

If it is a big airport, and wind is light, then there is no reason why they shouldn't use a few runways for takeoff / landing. The majority of commercial aircraft will be flying straight in or will be assigned a runway according to the general direction they are coming from. Helps with ease of flow of traffic.

crosscheck9 wrote:

In all the aircraft, after an engine starts up, you hear a sort of "squeejy" sound coming from it, near the gear area. Sorry thats the only word I could use to describe it, but does anyone know what it is 🙄 --

I don't really know what sound you are referring to Dont Know Has the engine actually started? Because they don't usually start engines until they've pushed back and turned.

crosscheck9 wrote:

Also, we departed Bahrain in KLM's a330-200, but a strange thing happened. The aircraft took off, turned into her pattern, started to climb, further, further, then finally, I heard the gear come up - why so late?

I'm not familiar with the airport, but if it was definitely the gear that you heard being retracted late then it could be a special departure procedure. If there is increasing height terrain i.e. start of a mountain or edge of a valley, then it means the aircraft won't be far from the ground, so in the event of a problem, they need to have the gear down. If they retract it and then have a problem, they might not have enough time to lower it again. The fact that you were doing a climbing turn suggests this aswell, as they are normally used for noise abatement or terrain obstructions. You could try and get hold of an approach plate or ground chart of the runway and airport you were at.

crosscheck9 wrote:

In detroit, we were held on the ground for about 1:30, even after our 4 hour delay at the gate, due to thunderstorms -- Lightening in the area caused all 13 aircraft waiting to depart, to just remain on the tarmac at the r/ways hold short. We were at the end of that line in NWA's a319, but couldn't they have just ignored the west departure, taken the north, then whipped around into the right direction after they departed and cleared the clouds?

Again, I'm not familiar with the airport, nor its departure procedures. If it was a thunderstorm causing problems, then the chances are it was quite serious. Serious thunderstorms are not usually localised to a small area, so taking off in another direction probably wouldn't have avoided the thunderstorm either. Plus, all aircraft have their FMC's programmed with the SIDs, runway numbers, runway headings, V speeds and they probably aren't carrying departure / approach plates for the other runways. Just a guess.

Hope it helps a bit 😉

Pro Member Captain

Thanks for taking the time to do that Jon 😉 Very much appreciated 😀

Guest Ed Guest

Maybe the pilot just forgot to raise the gear until later. I do that all the time. 😉

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Guest Ed wrote:

Maybe the pilot just forgot to raise the gear until later. I do that all the time. 😉

Ed

😂

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Regarding the gear down it could well be to let the brakes cool possibly was a long taxi out or a lot of turns and the OAT was fairly high. This happens quite frequently. May also have been a fairly quick turnaround again brakes needed cooling.

The noise would probably be the PTU (power transfer unit) - middle of the AC sounds like a barking dog or a donkey in the hold. Have also heard people say it sounds like someone sawing the wing off! On start there will be an imbalance between the pressure in the hydraulic systems I think on the "bus" it kicks in if there is 500psi difference. The PTU pumps until the no 2 eng starts and equalises pressure. Also the PTU does a self test during no 2 start.
Hope this helps

Pro Member Captain

PH wrote:

Hope this helps

It sure does -- Thanks 😂