SearchSearch 

A computer mystery.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Does anyone have an idea of why I am showing 9 to 10 % CPU useage on one computer, when there is nothing that shows any CPU utilization in the task manager processes window?

Any ideas on what tools I might need to track this down, would be appreciated. If this were Linux, it would be easy, but Windows was designed for idiots and doesn't supply the tools for monitoring things very well.

8 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Hey Crash,

This fantastic and free little tool from sysinternals sounds like what you need

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html

It shows a lot more detail than task manager - if it is picked up in the graph you can hover over the graph and it will tell you what is causing the CPU load.

There is even an option so you can have it replace task manager in the settings menu somewhere 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Muchas gracias, amigo. I will d/l it now.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It found the culprit. Deferred Proceedure Calls, (DPCs). Now, all I have to do is figure out why.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

What do you think of the tool?

I love it and it permanently replaces my task manager...

I like that you can right click on stuff and google for the item, have you tried that for the DPC's?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes, but I am still digesting the information I found.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Very useful utility.Much more detailed from windows Task Manager and indeed the google choice is very clever idea.

Thanks Insight. 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Hey Crash,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I haven't defeated the DPC's on my laptop at work yet and they are driving me bananas!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Flying around the world pushed it to the back burner. 😞

At some point, I am going to shut down different processes and try to identify the culprit.