Glitch? Gremlins? UFO?

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

Something weird happened last night. I was flying in the Dreamfleet A36 from San Diego to Tucson at 7000 feet. It was overcast and I had an IFR flight plan.. Los Angeles had just handed me over to Yuma Approach when, in less than a second, the aircraft went from 7000 feet to over 12,000 feet and the engine quit. So, with ATC screaming at me I'm too high, I try to restart the engine only to have it turn over and die again. I thought maybe I'm out of gas so I check and have 3/4 of a tank. By now I've stalled a couple of times and am rapidly spiraling into the ground so I bailed out. I had saved the flight a few minutes before so I loaded it up again to see what would happen. Sure enough, in roughly the same place it went up again. This time I immediately put it in a shallow spiral dive and was able to get the engine started again. I got back to assigned altitude and back on course and continued on. So what happened here? It occurred to me that perhaps the engine stalled because the mixture that was right at 7000 was way too rich at 12,000. That would explain it stallng but not it taking off like a Patriot missile. Was it maybe an anti-gravity vortex in the wake of a passing UFO? Give me your thoughts.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Dont Know Just sounds like a glitch in a certain area or location of FS. The engine not re-starting, was probably as you say, down to the mixture control.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Were you using real world weather? By the way it is good practice to select mixture to rich when climbing or descending.

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

PH wrote:

Were you using real world weather? By the way it is good practice to select mixture to rich when climbing or descending.

Yes, it was real world weather and it did appear different after I got things under control. So maybe a change in barometric pressure but still 5000 feet seems like a lot. I usually climb out at full mixture and reduce to 50% at 5,000 feet and go to 40% at 10,000 then adjust with EGT after I'm straight and level at cruising altitude. I was in straight and level flight at 7,000 feet with the mixture set at 35% when this happened.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Maybe you flew into a CB

Madbrit Guest

If you suspect a big change in barometric pressure and have fsuipc there is a setting to make changes gradually over a period of time.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...