rotate?

Excelsis Guest

Can anyone explain to me what the term "rotate"means when referring to take-off? I am flying the Learjet for the first time and the instructions tell me I must apply VR ROTATE on take-off. What does VR mean as well?
Thanks in advance.

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Rotate is when you pull back on the yoke to lift the nose up and take off.

Doyley wrote:

Rotate is when you pull back on the yoke to lift the nose up and take off.

Thanks for the info. I take it I should I be reducing thrust slightly as well when I lift off?

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

That depends....
In a jet you shouldnt use full thrust ever as the engines would overheat... well in the real world.
In a prop im not 100% but I guess you would need to keep full power until you get to your desired climb speed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Full power(computed for conditions) for takeoff, engines won't overheat. Flight Simulator doesn't offer the option of computing takeoff power, so use full power (keep engine instruments out of the red). Maximum takeoff power limitation is normally at least 5 minutes and may be as much as 10 minutes(propeller or Jet). Power is normally reduced after reaching a safe altitude (aprox. 1000-1500 ft. AGL). There are reduced power settings that can be used in real life to reduce wear and tear on the engines when full power is not needed for performance. I personally don't believe in reduced power takeoffs with maybe the exception of when the aircraft is empty. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Yup same here, full power all the way on FS 😀

BB27 Guest

Full power with one exception:

250 knots below 10,000 AGL.

A lear without a full load of fuel will hit 250 really quick after gear is retracted if you don't reduce thrust. A 747 will do the same.....

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Flight sim.....use full power you don't need to worry about engine life cycles! Real world of course in a jet nowadays full thrust TO is a rare thing as most are derated. Did have fun once in a 752 sim full power take off, low weight 6t of fuel followed by a v1 cut....gotta be quick with the rudder!

To get good takeoff thrust use TO/GA

Guest Ed Guest

I have gotten into the habit of using autothrottle on takeoff with the Lear. It prevents overspeed, while applying ample power to get your off the ground. I just set the A/T to 250 knots, and engage it when I get clearance to take off. I just leave it there until I'm over 10000 feet, then crank it up to 330 knots for the climb to cruising altitude.

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

god i jate spam but also when flying in a 747 once you pass around 300 330 its says overspeed even a crusing ALt and in the check book says i can go 500 or so knots can you help

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Thunderbirdman2 wrote:

god i jate spam but also when flying in a 747 once you pass around 300 330 its says overspeed even a crusing ALt and in the check book says i can go 500 or so knots can you help

You are combining two different measures of speed. The speed you are seeing on your speed indicator is measured in Knots Indicated Airspeed - the speed of 500 that you quote, is not knots, it is 500mph.

500 Miles Per Hour, roughly equals 300 Knots Indicated Airspeed at cruise altitude (I say roughly because it depends on the exact altitude).

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

ahhhhh seee its a good thing i became a member thanks 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...