Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Spam

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Since this site is incapable or unwilling to do anything to keep spam from being posted in the first place, and relies only on after-the-fact moderation, can you at least publish the IP addresses (and time and date of posting) of the spammers so they may be dealt with?

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Here, here.

You can't say all the time Flyaway has reworld oblications. We all do, we all have jobs some more important than others. We're all able to log on more than 3 times a day.

This site is going down hill and fast with the amount of spam on this site. Grash I'm behind you 100%.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

Here, here.

You can't say all the time Flyaway has reworld oblications. We all do, we all have jobs some more important than others. We're all able to log on more than 3 times a day.

This site is going down hill and fast with the amount of spam on this site. Grash I'm behind you 100%.

I have nothing to add.I agre completley and we need to do something against spam.

Pro Member Captain
violentviolet Captain

Liono wrote:

Here, here.

I agree, something has to be done. THe situation is getting rather out of control.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

Here, here.

I see you in the mirror...just above the "Caution, objects may be closer than they appear", legend. 😂

I put more time and effort into a site used by a couple of dozen users than he does for a site allegedly having more than 80,000 members.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm here about 14-16 hours a day and since TTT has been busy with real life the past few weeks you seem to see it more.
Yes you do encourage them by clicking on them.
I get them as quickly as I can.
A site as busy as this cannot be policed 24 hours a day, nor can you have 20 moderators all moving posts to the correct forums.
I can't for the life of me see what anyone needs the IP's for, the overwhelming majority of then do change daily.

It would help us if some of the members ( a minority) would not post 30 times a day just to get a post count and a rank, it does cost us time reading every one.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I'm here about 14-16 hours a day and since TTT has been busy with real life the past few weeks you seem to see it more.
Yes you do encourage them by clicking on them.
I get them as quickly as I can.
A site as busy as this cannot be policed 24 hours a day, nor can you have 20 moderators all moving posts to the correct forums.
I can't for the life of me see what anyone needs the IP's for, the overwhelming majority of then do change daily.

It would help us if some of the members ( a minority) would not post 30 times a day just to get a post count and a rank, it does cost us time reading every one.

Radar

First, I have no quarrel with you or the other moderators. You are tasked to close the barn door after the horse leaves. That approach leaves the horse...err...umm..stuff to be shoveled out. Flyaway, for whatever reason, refuses to require (free) registration for forum posting.

You have no idea how much damage someone with the right tools can do to a spammer, if they have the IP address. But, even if you are uncomfortable with publishing the IP addresses, there should be a firewall on the site and the IPs added to its configuration so that any IP used to spam the site can never connect to it again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I know your quarrel is not with me or TTT we have no control over posting.

The IP's do change daily, if one is found to have an IP that remains constant they can be banned.

To ban IP's that change you run the risk of locking out a paid member if the next day with the same ISP has that random IP, yes it does happen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_IP

Many sites would like to lock out AOL entirely but that would hurt everyone, spammers and members also.
To contact a ISP at their "abuse" dot net address takes time that no one seems to have enough of.

Can some key words be put into the filter., yes but TTT and I don't have access to the control panel and truthfully don't want it.

With open posts such as this we are giving extra information to the problem makers.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Radarman let me get something across here. You live in the US correct? Which in turns is between 5-8hrs behind me in the UK?

So for example you goto bed at at 0500GMT + 1 (My time) Someone or something post's a spam message. That message is on this board for a good 5-6hrs. I have seen longer.

You can't have one guy moderating over 80,000+ members << That can't be true>>

You need more moderators end of story. Not all members are from the US.

The only thing that really bugs me is there most be at least 10 threads about this sort of thing. Not once has the man in question ever responed about this and about how long it takes to activate your account for this forum.

Pro Member Chief Captain

As long as anonymous posting is allowed, the problem will remain. The more roadblocks that spammers encounter, the less attractive the target becomes.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I see there is another round of spam from these illigitimate children of diseased parents.

I suppose if the owner of this site doesn't care, why should I. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Liono,
True, I'm in the US and live on the West Coast (California) which is 7-8 hours behind you.
TTT (New South Wales) and Flyaway (UK proper) live in your time zone.

Like right now, I was reading posts and had to take care of something personal, I stayed on the site so I wouldn't lose the posts I hadn't read, when I came back to the computer (2 hours) I deleted 3 out of 4 spams. I guess TTT or Flyaway deleted one as I was doing it, that's happened before.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

RM, you appear to be the person desperately trying to put buckets under all the leaks in the roof. Life would be better for everyone if someone would fix the roof, instead.

If your services cost flyaway money, maybe he'd fix the site.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

If your services cost flyaway money, maybe he'd fix the site.

😁 Probably right!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

if we have the IP time and date of the spamming, we can do lookup actions and report the incident to the ISP the IP belongs to - all ISP's have to have an abuse@ email address which is monitored.

I am happy to send mails off to the ISPs for this a couple of times a week..

Before i get the "but they are going through proxies" etc

This will (help) achieve one of the following things:

1. ISP knows who was using the IP at the time (this info will be logged for legal reasons) - suspends the spammer's account
2. ISP gets p*ssed off with people bouncing off their proxy servers and makes them secure so only their customers can use them due to the sheer weight of emails they are getting regarding spam activity

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

Crash im behind you 110% 😀

but there really we do need more moderators.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

We dont need more moderators. ❗

flyaway must secure the site and protect ,and RESPECT the 83593(x 5 = 417.965$ ❗ )members who has pay the 5$ to join.

Its a mater of professionalism and nothing more.
A manager with some basic knowledges about public relations has to do it from the first hours a site appears on the net. ❗

My opinion.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

We dont need more moderators. ❗

flyaway must secure the site and protect ,and RESPECT the 83593(x 5 = 417.965$ ❗ )members who has pay the 5$ to join.

Its a mater of professionalism and nothing more.
A manager with some basic knowledges about public relations has to do it from the first hours a site appears on the net. ❗

My opinion.

👍 what can i say?I think you're right.We could use more mod's,but not if flyaway secures the site. 🙄 😀 😀 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

true to true