SearchSearch 

questions abt pitot static system??

I need help for all these questions...
Can any1 explain to me? or tell me which website could i find the infomation for all these questions?

1) the connection from pitot/static probe to the (Central) Air Data Computer (CADC or ADC) to the various indicating instruments.

2) how the system support the Captain and the First Officer (F/O).

3) how the system continue to give altitude indication when there is a failure in static air pressure from the captain or F/O static port.

6 Responses

sunny_uk0072002 Guest

Very interesting!!! u got me thinking now....i suppose the only one i really can answer at this time i think is Q3. Taking into consideration im only a trainee pilot whos just started his ATPL's so go easy on me if im wrong..lol

Aircraft that are used for instrument flight have an 'Alternate Static Source'. Apart from the main static sources for the captain and F/O there is an alternate static source which is there for redundency purposes in case the static port or static line freezes over. Generally, on non-pressurized aircraft, the alternate static source is in the cabin. When used, this source introduces some error in the instruments because the cabin air pressure is lower than outside air pressure due to airflow over the cabin. Airspeeds and altitudes read higher than normal. The vertical airspeed indicator shows a momentary climb as the alternate static source is opened, followed by stabilization and normal readings thereafter.

I dont know if thats any help to ya mate, if not, sorry i couldnt be of service...i tried...lol take it easy SUNNY

p.s a bit of that is cut and pasted off a website....lol

sunny_uk0072002 wrote:

Generally, on non-pressurized aircraft, the alternate static source is in the cabin. When used, this source introduces some error in the instruments because the cabin air pressure is lower than outside air pressure due to airflow over the cabin. Airspeeds and altitudes read higher than normal. The vertical airspeed indicator shows a momentary climb as the alternate static source is opened, followed by stabilization and normal readings thereafter.

please elaborate on this section? i don't realli understand it. if the alternate static source will give wrong readings, then y put it on the plane? to indicate that the static source is not workin?[/quote]

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Pitot-static system, FAA Instrument flying handbook

Chapter 3, page 38 (may take 30 seconds to load)
🙂

Pro Member Trainee
IHATENICKNAMES Trainee

If you're still stuck on this then feel free to email me. I'd be glad to help out. I'm a flight instructor in/near Toronto. I can answer, and/or find out, or direct you to the answer.

Good Luck

Dan
danarbour1@hotmail.com

Identify, on the subject line, "flight instruction question"

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Er, you might be a bit late 🙂 , check the dates on the last post! 😕

Pro Member Trainee
IHATENICKNAMES Trainee

That's why I said "IF You're STILL stuck"....

Besides, it was the KIND OFFER to help ( In my opinion ) that really mattered.

Thanks though, for pointing out the obvious🙂

Cheers