Me no fly for a few days

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

As you may have noticed from my thread a few posts down, I have recieved my version of Windows Beta 2. After installation I have some how managed to bugger my D: drive (Stupid idiot I am). So I'm going to install FS9 on both Vista and Windows XP SP 2. This should take me a few days as I have a load of add-ons to install.

This is going to be the process of installing FS9

FS9
FS9.1 Update

Scenery

FSGensis Worldwide Terrain - LOD4 / 5 / 6
Ultimate Night Environment Professional
World Environment Pro
FS Water
Flight Environment
Ground Environment
FS Terrain
FScence - Europe Winter textures
Fly Tampa Chicago Midway
ImageSim Detroit
London Airports

Aircraft

PMDG 737Ng
PMDG Beech 1900D
PIC 737-300/400/500
Aerosoft Bae 146-200/300
PSS A319/A320/A321
CLS A300-600R

Ulitities

FS Build 2.2
Active Sky 6 & ACtive sky Graphics
FS Traffic 2005
Walk & Follow
FS Passengers

After each installation I will start up the sim and take a quick flight to see if the products have installed correctly. Plus to make sure none clashes with the other.

Anyway wish me luck.

Liono.

P.S.

Sorry guys I won't be posting any screenshots untill everything is up and running correctly.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well I'm running fs9 with the VFR scenery, and a couple of extra birds. And it's sweet, so smooth and fps running slow I hope is a thing of the past.

I haven't bothered to use it with XP since installing Vista. It's Brill! Sadly tomorrow it all comes apart, as hopefully I shall have a new RaidMax Super gaming tower to put it in. Don't know if I'll like all the flashing LEDs, but the ability to control the inner fan(s) and their speed sounds useful. I think it comes with 7 fans fitted. Should be enough. 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hi KenTel,

A quick question if I may. Which drivers are you using for your graphics card. I have the latest from Nvidia but I can only set my AA to 2x and AF is set on Application Control. << that I can't change.

I have FS9 installed and the update but the grpahcis look totaly rubbish. Tonight I will be installing XP SP2 back onto my D:.

The stupid thing is the CD won't do a repair function as I think this would be the easyest option.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Hi Liono, you may not believe this, as I still don't understand. But I haven't installed any drivers, seems that Vista has taken care of that, whether it has built in drivers, or maybe has downloaded what was required I don't know. I haven't installed any update for fs9, but believe I already had the updated version. The only thing I did extra, was change the fs9.exe file to the one where you don't need to put a CD in to run. Have only installed a couple of planes, Flight 's Cessna152, and the Lancs. And they all run perfectly at present. Not tried any tuning yet, but the ATC is much improved, also the Traffic. neither now have any effect on fps.

I don't have much else to load, other than a few more planes. But till I have it all changed into my new case, (Still waiting!), I shall not do much else to it.

RE:
A quick question if I may. Which drivers are you using for your graphics card. I have the latest from Nvidia but I can only set my AA to 2x and AF is set on Application Control. << that I can't change

I'm a bit thick, what is "AA" and "AF", and Application Control? You've lost me!

Pro Member Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

I'm a bit thick, what is "AA" and "AF", and Application Control? You've lost me!

Antialiasing
Anisotropic Filtering

I see you have two hard drives on your rig. Did you have XP on one and Vista on another? I tried that and it will only boot into one of the operating system and not come to a screen and choose which operating system to choose.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Liono wrote:

KenTel wrote:

Antialiasing
Anisotropic Filtering

I see you have two hard drives on your rig. Did you have XP on one and Vista on another? I tried that and it will only boot into one of the operating system and not come to a screen and choose which operating system to choose.

Could it possibly be worth looking at the boot.ini file using MSConfig?

I know nothing about Vista, but that's where I'd start in XP.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Hi Liono, sorry I'm late but you will know why in a mo'

First off yes I have 2 HDs both 250Gb each, not in a RAID config. I have the Master set in 4 Partitions, approx 58Gb each. The first has XP Home on, and second has Vista 64, I do have a copy of XP 64 which has never been without problems, so that is on another computer now. And no problems I get the screen with time limit, if I touch no keys it boots to Vista, else I can choose XP. The Text on screen is different to previous, but only in style and font.

So no trouble with booting.

Now, after reading that you had installed the nVidia drivers, etc., and I hadn't, methinks, well with the correct drivers it will work better, and must remind you it was already better than on XP. This is the reason I'm late in replying. I downloaded the nV drivers for Vista 64, installed after disconnecting router, and stopping Virus checker and firewall. Went through the proceedure ending with the Install Successful, and now reboot.

That was OK, but couldn't find any nVidia Console to adjust settings. So getting a mite p'd off, I decided to give fs9 a run, bearing in mind it WAS working very nicely. Boom Boom, it was, no longer, graphics ppp poor, and fps down, basically (I hate that word) it is now a non-runner.

And I'm off to bed, with a frown plus 'edache. My grey cells are not very happy.

Update.
Following morning, up with the Lady Birds (Read Lazy Birds), new system case arrived, and wow some case (RaidMax) 8 fans some controlled by temp sensor, PSU with all leads, case has all leads labelled for ease in assembly, front USBs and Audio, this is going to be a fun build. Only items not included, power connectors for SATA drives, but I have plenty of adapters, so no prob. Now need to find time to use the ever useful kitchen table, 😂 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...