SearchSearch 

Serious problem with spam

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

ok im on here at least 10 or more times a day.

and about every hour there is spam in the forums i realize serveral topics have been posted but its time somone stepped up to the plate and did something!

everyone says that we dont need more moderators just a diff. solution, well lets try and find something that will help. ❗

spam now has just gotten out of hand! with only 5 different moderators and over 83,000 MEMBERS ON HERE!!!! and technically there is only 4 moderators since TTT has been busy with personl life expeiriences of which i salute he stays away from this place.

but SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!

and more and more members are going to coplain especially CRASH.

with all do respect RadarMan, TTT, FlyAway, and all of the other members.

81 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Theres countless posts on the topic....all of which have ended to no avail.

Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain

thus something needs to be done!

Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

It's just my opinion,but the solution may be to make the forums for members only,as when you become a member you have to leave a valid e-mail address.Then if the spammers continue to polute the forums, the "mods" will know who they are. Idea Just my opinion .

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

The number of members is not the problem. It isn't the members doing it, but anonymous trash.

But, don't count on any solution soon. Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain

it just pisses me off because no one is making any effort to do anything.

Pro Member Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

it just pisses me off because no one is making any effort to do anything.

Believe me, nearly all active members have tried to find solutions and they have been put forward - its just that the one person that actually has the power to do it refuses to, and refuses to provide an explanation.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Because it takes 20 minutes out of counting all those $5.00 memberships?

Pro Member Chief Captain

And another 5 minutes out of posting links to the new commission based "shop"...

Pro Member Chief Captain

Which leads to the $64,000.00 question.

What FS forums exist that don't charge an annual fee and are free of spam?

Pro Member Chief Captain

then lets shut the site down for a few days or a day or to im really ticked off because everything revolves around money! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Pro Member Chief Captain

Actually, we were being a little sarcastic about that.

The real problem is that someone can't be bothered.

The sin is a deadly one, but it isn't greed. It is sloth.

Pro Member Chief Captain

but really shut the site down for a few days tell all the members to go to a backup site or something and chat about what to do now how hard is that?

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

I agree the sit should be shut down for a few days
these people need to stop and thats the only way i can stop it i dindt relize this was even a problem until now so lets try to stop them Angry Banned

Pro Member First Officer

Round 'em up,put them in a field, AND BOMB THE B Censored DS Devil Devil Devil

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I was wondering if the spam complaining posts are more than the spam ones... 😉

What else is needed in order the leaders of this site give a solution??? ❗ ❗ ❗

I'm ready to pay 1 more $ in order this guys (I'm not sure that its only flyaway behind it)secure this great site. 😉

Did i get attention now? ❓ ...No???I make it double... 😂

Pro Member First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

I'm ready to pay 1 more $ in order this guys (I'm not sure that its only flyaway behind it)secure this great site. 😉

If that is the case the sinario will be...."A new Bentley?","Certainly sir" 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

And what would the point of shutting the site down for a few days be, if it re-opened with the same dumb open door?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

I don't think rewarding incompetence with more money, is the answer.

Pro Member Chief Captain

IM TIRED OF MONEY ALWAYS BEING THE ANSWER!!!!!!

by shuting the site down FlyAway should be able to change some forums so that they are only for members. i think that sereral sites do this.... Avsim, Simviation, Hovercontrol they all have forums just for members......now why cant we

Pro Member Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

IM TIRED OF MONEY ALWAYS BEING THE ANSWER!!!!!!

Just because you're tired of it, it doesn't mean that the person that has the power to do something about it, is.

JarJarBinks wrote:

by shuting the site down FlyAway should be able to change some forums so that they are only for members. i think that sereral sites do this.... Avsim, Simviation, Hovercontrol they all have forums just for members......now why cant we

Thats the point - it won't be shut down as Admin is unwilling to anything about the problem. I know of several members who have PM'd flyaway with solutions and suggestions (including myself) with no result - even when asked to simply provide an explanation.

I think what GreekMan was suggesting, is that it is blatantly clear that the problem is not going to be solved any time soon, even with the amount of attention on the topic, so why bother with all the constant complaining? Yes its annoying, but what else can be done?

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Quote from the "Support Fly Away" bottom left box on the site...

It takes lots of hard work and money to keep one of the web's largest Flight Simulation sites running.

that's a joke....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Quote from the "Support Fly Away" bottom left box on the site...

It takes lots of hard work and money to keep one of the web's largest Flight Simulation sites running.

that's a joke....

god yeh 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

The problem is that the joke is on us.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

The only way to combat this is to start a forum of our own 🙂

I never download anything from this site and we all could still... but we don't have to post here do we?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

I never download anything from this site and we all could still... but we don't have to post here do we?

🤔 Idea Secret Whistle Let me check into something.

Pro Member First Officer
oreo005 First Officer

I pm'd flyaway about guests only being able to post in one forum... a guest forum! But I could still think of things going wrong... It's worth a shot.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

I think what GreekMan was suggesting, is that it is blatantly clear that the problem is not going to be solved any time soon, even with the amount of attention on the topic, so why bother with all the constant complaining? Yes its annoying, but what else can be done?

😉

Exactly 👍

Guest forum??????

NO...Its not a ghetto here my friend.If we have to have them i want them in all the forums.

Dont confuse the spammers with the guests.They are 100% different.
And we all know that most of guests are decent people.

Pro Member First Officer
oreo005 First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

😉

Exactly 👍

Guest forum??????

NO...Its not a ghetto here my friend.If we have to have them i want them in all the forums.

Dont confuse the spammers with the guests.They are 100% different.
And we all know that most of guests are decent people.

Well ya. That's why I said "But I could still think of things going wrong... ".

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Insight wrote:

I have web space and hosting stuff to put a forum on 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

Insight wrote:

I have web space and hosting stuff to put a forum on 😀

So do I. In fact, many of the forums at Omega-Air.org/community can be used by people who are not VA members, but I am trying not to compete with this site. I only wish flyaway would fix the site rather than improve a sim shop with overpriced stuff.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I am just thinking that as your comment rightfully points out - the joke is on us here...

I was thinking about a forum, not to compete with this site, all this site is interested in is making money and its web shop - he doesn't give a damn about his members.

Why not make a forum where we can talkand be protected from spam etc and guests (as it wont cost to register) etc?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, I suppose I could revamp simpatrol.com which is currrently in a coma. 😂

The idea of a forum where all the members are registered, but with no cost has crossed my mind before. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

would gladly help moderate

simplemachines is a good forum package with very editable permissions

Pro Member Chief Captain

then lets build on this....( The idea of our own forum )

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

I'm sure there's a good Shakespeare quote here.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Almost certainly..

Pro Member Chief Captain

Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war. 😂

Pro Member Trainee
HelpsJ Trainee

Evil or Very Mad ive been on browsing this forum for 5 minuites just now and more posts are spam than are not

Pro Member Chief Captain

Dear Flyaway,

This is to inform you that these forums are littered with spam that no amount of moderators can keep up with unless you have one moderator for each time zone in the world.

The forums of this site are the only things that are worthwhile as the download section really sucks, as so many have pointed out. The flight sim shop sells hardware for a price in excess of the manufacturer's. So what else is there? Pictures of Alan in the Screen Shot Gallery?

So if these forums are going to be constantly subjected to unwanted garbage, why should we stick around?

Note to membership: If I disappear, it will not be my own doing. Contact me at crashgordon<at>simpatrol<dot>com

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Dear Flyaway,

This is to inform you that these forums are littered with spam that no amount of moderators can keep up with unless you have one moderator for each time zone in the world.

The forums of this site are the only things that are worthwhile as the download section really sucks, as so many have pointed out. The flight sim shop sells hardware for a price in excess of the manufacturer's. So what else is there? Pictures of Alan in the Screen Shot Gallery?

So if these forums are going to be constantly subjected to unwanted garbage, why should we stick around?

Note to membership: If I disappear, it will not be my own doing. Contact me at crashgordon<at>simpatrol<dot>com

HERE HERE

That's what I've been saying all along about the modertors.

Pro Member Chief Captain

i wouldnt be surpirised if severl members left because of the poor d/load selection and also becasue of the poor seceraty for his members.

and i dought that this is one of the biggest FS sites around with the d/loads here you maybe have about 1,000 as Simviation as 1,000 PANELS ive only d/loaded 1 thing from here

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think Crash meant that he riskS to block from this site cause of his point not that he wants to leave from here.

Personally...neither spams neither bad downloads or anything else, would persuade me to leave the site which i have made some good friends in. ❗ ❗ ❗

If flyaway wants it dirty(i mean from spams)let it be.
I would never leave anyone to go away for that reason with every power i have... ❗

The forums are OURS ❗ ❗ ❗

HONK

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

HONK

😉

ROFL ROFL ...and breathe...

---

I agree - a new forum wouldn't be the same. I don't think anybody is here for the download section or the spam Umm...

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

What I am attempting to do, is to get flyaway to pay more attention to the quality of these forums and less to trying to sell yokes and pedals for substantially above list price.

Every synapse in my brain is telling me that I will fail in that attempt. I am not impressed by his lack of response to this problem. I am not impressed by the once-a-year updating of the download section. I am not impressed by the fact that he hasn't cleaned up the comments in the screenshot gallery.

I am amazed at how little has been done considering the approximately $419,395.00 he has supposedly taken in from membership fees.

Pro Member Chief Captain

sometimes i think why i paid 5$ for this Censored sh*t Censored

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

sometimes i think why i paid 5$ for this Censored sh*t Censored

Dont you think that your behavior are close to spammers one???

Chill out my friend 😀 .There are a load of reasons that this 5$ worth the price...At least for me. ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain

sorry

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

sorry

No need to JJB. 😀
I -we- understand the spammers problem but we have to give the best example and keep a high level (as we always do)in order to show them that they wont find here the customers for their rubbish... 😉

As far as concerns flyaway silence...Its not something new... ❗
Being a naturally hopeful man ,i believe that maybe he will notice it and respect our opinions(and $) by doing something. Umm...

But anyway ,just in case he wont,dont let all these stuppids bothering us.
Besides its not the only spamming site in the world... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

to be honest screw this.. why not start our own forum?

I get nothing out of this site other than the forums.

you starting anything CG?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Because if you build it, they might not come. People are very reluctant to leave familiar surroundings even if they are neck deep in poop.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Without meaning to offence anybody(and you know it very well)this idea for the new forum dont sounds very good at me...Besides i believe that no one or a few will come there... Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

possibly you are right

it is a shame because I find myself wanting to post here less and less every day FlyAway ignores his user base

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ignore how flyaway acts dear Doc.
We like you and we want you more here. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

to be honest screw this.. why not start our own forum?

I get nothing out of this site other than the forums.

you starting anything CG?

Because you don't post in the other forums that are FS9 related. You just post in the Off-Topic forum, which can easily be replicated elsewhere. For those of us that like the interaction with people in terms of Flight Simulator, there aren't many better forums. You probably notice it more, because nearly all of the spam resides in the Off-Topic forum, i.e. the only forum you visit.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

I've yet to comment on this issue, but some of the spam I've seen this weekend is downright disgusting.

I'm blaming nobody but the the top administrator of this site.

Despite the ugly appearance such an unchecked spam assault gives to a site like this, I fear even more for
anyone who may click on one of these bad links by pure mistake!

My $0.02

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Ever since I joined this has bugged me, and jeeze, look at the thread below this one. That just ain't right, we have KIDS coming here. If there parents saw that they'd be in for some serious trouble.

The website should be a members only site. To post, and then perhaps if you guys really NEED that 5 bucks from us members perhaps an upgraded membership should be required.

This site would be so much better without all the random guest posts and all the spam.

Its so easy to solve but no one does anything about it.

Pro Member First Officer

Well that last piece of spam junk didn't last too long. 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 ,nice use of the Evil or Very Mad Crash.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have had too many years doing security related work, to think this was a victory. Whether it is terrorists, burglars or spammers, there are three very important words:

Deny them access!

Anything less is locking the barn door after the horse is stolen.

9/11 could not have happened if the perpetrators where denied access to the US and/or were denied access to the aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

This is just getting out of hand. As of recent days I'm spending less and less time on here, why?

The amount of spam is getting out of hand. As of 07:56 BST there is 3 post below this and there times are 06:27, 07:33 & 07:35.

Where are the Mods. Either in bed or at work with no internet access. So by the time Radarman comes on this post's would be here for a few hours.

It is time Flyaway stood up and done something about it.

This site is going down hill big time. That is why I mainly post screenshots now. As the amount of SPAM is getting out of hand. I do go on other FS9 forum's and they don't have this problem, Why????????

Because you need to be a member.

FLYAWAY have a look around other sites and see how it's done properly. << I've got more chance of getting blood out of a stone or winning the lottery. What's the point of complaining here when nothing is getting done.

If this was a country there would be a public up rising and the government over thrown (whell in the old days anyway)

I can live without this site anyway.

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Liono,
I see the three posts your have mentioned, only because I couldn't get to sleep this evening. Just ignore them and don't give them the benefit of your discomfort. Your a valuable member, and we'd hate for such things to deter people from coming here. As long as the spammers see this long thread, and realize how much it p**ses us off, they will continue doing their work. As far as flyaway, well, I'm not going to speak ill of him, as its not in my interest to criticize. As long as we are all granted the opportunity to come here, we might aswell seize it, in spite of a few spams.

Don't let them get to you 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes its irritating, but I've never seen it a reason not to come here any more - does it really offend people that much?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

what offends me the most is that despite our frequent cries for something to be done about it the admin of this site who we have all paid $5 to cannot be bothered to do anything about it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

how hard is it to make these forums private?

Pro Member Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

Near impossible when you're dealing with flyaway...

Pro Member Chief Captain

point taken

Pro Member First Officer

Oh, come on mods. At 10:08 another spam post, which i may add is not for young eyes to see appeared.Such thing of explicit nature should be deleted immediatley,as i was once reminded that kids as young as 10 use this site.It's approaching 1/2 an hour and the post is still there. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

violentviolet wrote:

Oh, come on mods. At 10:08 another spam post, which i may add is not for young eyes to see appeared.Such thing of explicit nature should be deleted immediatley,as i was once reminded that kids as young as 10 use this site.It's approaching 1/2 an hour and the post is still there. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Dont blame the Mods,we have real lives to be getting on with 🙄

Follow these simple rules
DONT answer any spam topic
and DONT whatever you do click on any spam link
Just ignore them and,when Radarman or I spot them,we will ZAP them 😉

And as I go to bed Sleep the forums are spam free 👍
Radar alarm clock is about to go off

Pro Member First Officer

tomthetank wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

Dont blame the Mods,we have real lives to be getting on with 🙄

Follow these simple rules
DONT answer any spam topic
and DONT whatever you do click on any spam link
Just ignore them and,when Radarman or I spot them,we will ZAP them 😉

And as I go to bed Sleep the forums are spam free 👍
Radar alarm clock is about to go off

🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

It is very easy to require registration before getting posting privileges. Less than 5 minutes of time would do it.

But then maybe less people would come here to buy a CH Products yoke for a much higher price than even CH sells them. Horse

Pro Member Chief Captain

violentviolet wrote:

How can you expect just 2 moderators to roam the forums searching for spam for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

The only person to blame here is flyaway - oh and 1/2 an hour is nothing....spam is often on the forums for 3 hours or more.

Pilau Guest

❗ Attention: Critisism ahead! ❗

Look, you guys, you can complain here all day and night, all of us know what is the situation here, and all of us know that it is NOT going to be changed, definitely not in the near future.

Accept this, come on. We all know Flyaway is not really giving a damn about this site, this community, these people anymore than he used to.

Now, we had a point here - it is hard for people to move from a known and familiar environment to a new, different one. But, and I can definitely bet my internet connection on it, if the big names, most frequent posters, and key figures on this community MOVE to a new board, the mission is then accomplished.

And when I say move, I mean post only on the new board and stop browsing these forums.

Pilau Guest

* stop browsing FlyAway forums that is Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Yeah but most of us paid 5 bucks to be here. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

Yeah but most of us paid 5 bucks to be here. Wink

Exactly.That's the reason we should leave. We payed money,found out that these forums are worse than free ones, so why should we keep populating them and therefore having new member pay even MORE so that flyaway can keep getting profits by caring even less about this site?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Look who's online right now:

FLYAWAY, DO SOMETHING IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THIS SITE!

Pilau Guest

Well said Endeavour.

Besides, it's five bucks, man. FIVE BUCKS. You earn 5 bucks for an hour's worth of work. If you let such a tiny sum of money be the reason why YOU should remain a member of a forum where you find many problems, then so be it. But no offence, it's very odd.

Pro Member Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

Look who's online right now:

FLYAWAY, DO SOMETHING IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THIS SITE!

We still haven't heard anything. Mad

My attempt at creating a spam-free environment is now open for public beta testing.

Features include:

Automated free registration with built in email confirmation.

No anonymous posting.

Vigilant site administration that can kill misbehaving accounts faster than they can be created.

Built in filtering of foul language and spam-related terms.

The only drawback is that since the site is subject to US law, members must be 13 or older, at least until I determine the filters work well enough to avoid legal problems. After that, I'll review the policy.

Click on "CrashGordon" in my sig. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

The only drawback is that since the site is subject to US law, members must be 13 or older, at least until I determine the filters work well enough to avoid legal problems. After that, I'll review the policy.

awwwwww So i can't join until august 23rd?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I PM'd you. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Did I mention that there are no ads? 😀

Madbrit Guest

Secret 🍻