Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

32 bit VS. 64 bit OS

WantFSX Guest

Ok, first, does anyone know what the advantages and disadvantages are between a 32 bit and 64 bit OS? Also, I ordered a new computer with 4gb of ram and have heard that not all of the ram will be used in it because of the limit on addresses in a 32 bit OS, is this true? Will a 64bit OS allow me to use all the RAM? Thanks!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
WantFSX Guest

Thanks RadarMan, words cant describe how much you've helped me the past few months!!!! Ok, heres another question...will my Pentium D 940 3.2 GHz (dual core) support a 64 bit system? Is Windows Vista 64 bit too?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Windows Vista is 64 bit that's the leap forward along with DirectX 10 that will "play" only with a video card built for it.
You can use any card but you won't be utilizing the latest technology in graphics.

As for your 3.2 (nice) it should but I'll leave the definite yes or no to someone who builds their own to answer.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

Well, a Pentium D cannot have 64-bit if it only supports 32-bit. To find out you can go to intel.com and see about your proccesor.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

WantFSX wrote:

Ok, heres another question...will my Pentium D 940 3.2 GHz (dual core) support a 64 bit system? Is Windows Vista 64 bit too?

Yes, that card will support 64-bit, see this article:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1988

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

rrr, Question answeared, thanks radar man

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

SamIntel wrote:

WantFSX wrote:

Ok, heres another question...will my Pentium D 940 3.2 GHz (dual core) support a 64 bit system? Is Windows Vista 64 bit too?

Yes, that card will support 64-bit, see this article:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1988

Well, one that supports 64 bit. I think most of them do now..... 😎 😎