Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

a question for GA flyers

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i have been working hard on a new piece of kit for your singles: an all in one flightmaster thingy based on mgl's ultra horizon (http://www.mglavionics.co.za/ultrahxl.html)

i have been looking into this for a while and i am planning to make 2 varients. a freeware version with just the vfr1 screen and a payware* version (*small donation) with both screens and a config editor to choose items such as number of fuel tanks, max rpm etc to suit every craft from ultralight to stationair. anyway work is well underway but here is a list of features:

VFR1:

- barometer (hg kohlsman)
- altimeter
- radio altimeter (to 1000ft)
- airspeed
- vertical speed
- flight time
- local time
- trip length (nm)
- outside temp
- volts
- fuel left
- fuel right
- fuel centre
- exhaust gas temp
- cylinder head temp
- rpm tachometer
- oil pressure
- fuel flow

VFR2:

- barometer (hg kohlsman)
- range
- flight time
- fuel left
- fuel right
- fuel centre
- PFD (artificial horizon, speed, vertical speed and altimeter, radio altimeter [to 1000ft])
- wind direction
- outside temp
- rpm tachometer
- exhaust gas temp
- cylinder head temp
- oil pressure
- fuel flow

please let me know what you think and what is/isn't included that you would like to see or not see.

cheers.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

So what exactly will this do for us GA pilots in FS9?

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I guess I don't understand quite what it is. Is it an addon that you can pop up on your panel to get more info on your flight using gauges?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

in the real world it's a cheap version of an avindyne but also compact enough to fit in tiny little cockpits. i know in several planes there just enough room or uslessly un-ergonomic. this gauge removes clutter while also providing much more infomation (such as times, distances, wind etc) and an easy to read screen in the vc and at high resolutions. as it is also one gauge it would be easy to install on almost any plane. it turns a standard ga steam cockpit into glass cockpit on a budgetand provides many handy features (radio altitude, wind...)

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

The only thing that I can think of is for the speed readout to show you airspeed in MPH and KNTS, and same with ground speed.
Also, something that tells you your density altitude, or give you the stuff to figure it out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

density altitude? i don't think that's a term i've come across...*wikipedia* nope don;t understand...

ground speed and option to switch between knots/mph/kilometers is a good idea and certainly possible.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Density altitude is the altitude that the aicraft thinks that it is at. For example, say there is an airport with an elevation of 4,000. On a hotter than standard temperature (59 F) day, the aircraft will perform like it is at 5,000 instead of 4,000. If it is a colder day, it might perform like it is at 3,000. You can use desity altitude to calculate your T/O distance and stuff. But that may be too difficult to incorrporate into it.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Hinch, could you post a picture of what this would look like in a panel?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i could shop one! at the moment it isn't developed enough. i have many individual bits they just need piecing together very carefully.