Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Autopilot strange behavior

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

A few times I've seen the autopilot do strange things when trying to use NAV hold. Most of the time, if I make a GPS flight plan, I get aligned on the path, set the nav/gps switch to gps, and it holds the course just fine, with the HSI needle centered. Other times (yesterday, for example) I am on course, the HSI needle is centered, and using the same procedure, it banks away from the course and gets the HSI needle way off, prompting a call from ATC to steer back on course! What gives? There was one other time it did the same thing flying VOR, but I can't tell why it's doing it. It's almost like it's trying to compensate for something (crosswinds?), even though it ends up with the HSI saying it's way off course. I've seen this on the 737 and Cessna Caravan, both the stock FS 2004 planes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

What are you trying to do?

Are you trying to follow the pink line in the GPS en route to your destination, or are you trying to use the Approach Hold button on the GPS to align you laterally with the runway? Or are you following the Vectors to Final using the AP in conjunction with the GPS?

Some more information about the phase of flight and what exactly you are doing might be useful Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

You probably have the the Nav-GPS switch in theh wrong spot, if you want to have auto hold the course on GPS make sure the switch indicates GPS. But if your flying an ILS or trying to track a VOR make sure the switch indicates NAV.
--or--
Maybe you missed a leg on the GPS for some reason and it's trying to turn back to the missed waypoint. Activate the next leg on the GPS.

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

All I'm trying to do is follow the GPS course which already shows up on the GPS screen (the pink line). I'm nowhere near approach or landing, this was just after I was given the instruction to "maintain own navigation" after takeoff. And Mypilot, I DID have the nav/gps switch set right if you read my post closely enough.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It sounds like you are missing the beginning of a waypoint which your aircraft is turning around to reach, before it carries on with the flight. Like mypilot suggests, activate the next waypoint on your GPS which your aircraft will fly to.

Wink

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

If you say so, I'll check it out. I didn't think I had set any waypoints in the GPS, and I'm puzzled why it mostly works fine and occasionally does this. Also, that doesn't quite account for why it did this once with the VOR.

Pro Member Chief Captain

crash_deplane wrote:

If you say so, I'll check it out. I didn't think I had set any waypoints in the GPS, and I'm puzzled why it mostly works fine and occasionally does this. Also, that doesn't quite account for why it did this once with the VOR.

Is it just mid-flight, or after you've just taken off and are engaging the AP?