Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

AHHH! Why can't I finish a FLIGHT! FS is trying to KILL ME!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

ARGH, so much stress, yet so much fun when it actually works. For awhile I didn't have any problems with this game, well except for the ATR being too much of a resource hog. I bought the Super 80. I love this plane, and I'm finally getting a hang of it. I've done probably about 7 flights. How many times have a got a chance to land? Oh, only TWICE!!!!!!!!! Everytime I try doing a long flight the damn game just shuts down right when I'm about to land, like 2 feet from the ground!!! Argh, one time it said I didn't have enough memory and to run disk clean up. Well now I have almost 30gb's free. And its still doing it, but at least now its not telling me that its running out. It just freezes up, screen goes back, sound is still there, plane actually continues to fly, and then eventually it just shuts down. It doesn't tell me what happens, just shuts down, tells me FS9 had to close because of a problem.

I can fly from Midway to Dallas Fort Worth without a problem. But when I try to from from Dallas up to Midway it always crashes on final. So I figured I'd do another flight. So I flew from Fort Myers Florida at KRSW, over to Dallas. This was probably the longest flight I've ever done. Then when turning onto final, whoop, there goes the game.

I just wish this game could work always. Its so much fun when everything goes right, when you fly a good route, land, and make money with FSPax. But everytime something like this happens it just annoys me to no end. When it happens I always put my joystick and throttle away. It just puts me off so much and makes me never want to fly again.

I'm not sure if this is a request for help or just a rant thread but I needed to get it off my back. I think I'm going to try another flight...again, but its so annoying when I spend 20 or so minutes JUST getting the plane started up, not to mention the 2+ hours of flying for nothing. Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Lower your screens resolution. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It also can be a scenery problem, stay away from those areas and go elsewhere.
Overheating? Have you cleaned out the case, all the fans and heatsink.
Post your system specs and do you have a temperature monitor, free.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

My res is 1600*1200, if I use anything less everything looks terrible, and I get zero improvement on frames if I change it ever.

I don't believe I'm over heating, the computer runs fine. Next time I'll check the temp.

I have no problem with any other game. I play games that are much more graphic intense and much higher settings without problems.

Like I've stated before I a 3.4ghz Pentium 4, dual core, Nvidia 6800 256mb card, 2gb of memory and what not. This is the first time I've ever really had this problem. The game runs fine and up until this point, no stutters, frame rates are normal and then just dies.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I point the screen resolution because i had this problem in past with my old GFX (6600LE 256) having 2GB ,and i had solve it with this way.
Your PC specs are more than enough to run FS in almost highest settings.
I also must point that sometimes you probably have notice that your System slows down close to airports cause of the ATC.You can try to Lower your sounds quality(anyway there is no difference between high and low Confused ).

If this problem starts suddenly could be caused by overheating cause of dust etc.
Or maybe you have something running on background that doesn't effects your flight but since on landing FS needs more power in order to bring textures,voice,ATC window etc maybe your run out from needed resources.

Just some thoughts.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well I use Radar Contact 4, I'm not sure the problem. Bah, I thought I had everything solved but I guess not. Smile I'll have to try again soon.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Let us know Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Mean while, you can save you flight progress by clicking the ; key every 15-20 minutes and enter a random flight name so if it does crash, you can load it from the last point that you saved.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well I wouldn't care as much if it wasn't for FSPassengers. So that doesn't work for me. Wink

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

Solotwo wrote:

I just wish this game could work always. Its so much fun when everything goes right, when you fly a good route, land, and make money with FSPax. But everytime something like this happens it just annoys me to no end. When it happens I always put my joystick and throttle away. It just puts me off so much and makes me never want to fly again.

I just wanted to add here that FS2004 as shipped by Microsoft is pretty stable. Most problems arise from the interaction between FS2004 and add-on software. If nothing else works you can try reinstalling the sim and check for stability as you add each additional software component. If it starts crashing again you know the last bit you added is probably the culprit

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Yeah I know, been there done that. Solved most of my problems

Well I did a shorter hour hop last night, no problems. Gonna try a longer one of about 500nm in a lil bit see how that all goes. Checked the temp of my card, its running at a cool 54 degrees, peak is around 137 or something like that.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well I did about 1000 miles today without any problems, two seperate flights, so I dunno. Sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

What you may consider doing is saving the flight every so often Wink

...just an idea Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

You failed to realize that someone already suggested that. Wink That doesn't really work too well because of FSPax, which is why I fly, and why I get so upset when I spend 2 hours flying and it crashes right before I land so I get no money out of it. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

OK sorry...i was only trying to help Confused

Jamie4590 Guest

I agree that quick saving although effective doesn't get to the root of your problem. When its unstable you're always worried that the flight will crash and this takes away the enjoyment and concentration needed to fly well. I'm currently experiencing a crisis in my simming through lack of motivation. I spend time preparing a flight plan then prepare for take off but will then usually abandon the flight as I know I will likely crash on landing. Obviously landing practice is called for.

solotwo, your system is even more powerful than mine and thankfully I've never had a problem with FS but I had many infuriating moments with the BeechJet in FU3 where the flight would crash to the desktop if I changed view in bad weather. When I altered the graphics settings and enabled the 3D facility on my graphics card (NVIDIA 5200 FX or something like that) the fault disappeared and I could zoom in and out during a thunderstorm to my hearts content! It became 100% reliable. My point is your system is powerful enough to handle almost anything thrown at it and a flight isn't much to handle. Tweak your video/audio settings for best results.

Jamie4590 Guest

I forgot to ask if your flight is monitored through your internet connection which if you are being paid/judged I suppose it is. I like the idea of FSPax but I have a long way to go! I always turn everything off before I even load FS. That includes everything in the tool bar and I unplug my internet cable. Your system can only then devote its full attention. Its part of my pre-flight checklist Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Argh, lovely how I've had this plane for almost 2 weeks and I have only finished 2 flights. Sad Flew from St Louis down to Dallas/Fort Worth, again unloading pax, and then a damn plane taxis into my gate. Awesome.

Then today I decided to fly a new route, Seattle down to San Fran, land, about to begin taxi, WHOOP, black screen, sound continues, game continues, screen goes black, and then eventually FS9 shuts down. Good stuff. Time to take a break for awhile.

Jamie4590 Guest

Thats heavy going. Maybe getting a computer engineer to fine tune your system will be money well spent. Being a computer engineer myself I would first ensure you have spare hard drive space on the drive FS9 is installed on. At least a few gigabytes. I find I experience software problems more often with programmes I've installed on my secondary hard drive instead of the C hard drive which contains all the system and Windows files and drivers. In theory software runs better on an operating system drive that contains the system files for that OS. If its not already, try transferring the FS9 files to the C drive. Before that though set all your graphics settings to minimum and see if the problem reoccurs. If it doesn't change the settings like resolution and frame rate one by one each time checking performance. I've never seen FS9 but like MSFS I imagine there are numerous performance settings that can be changed to eliminate lockups.

I've been experiencing all kinds of erratic behaviour like crashing and freezing from previously faultless software recently and I put it down to the abnormal high temperatures parts of the UK have been getting. Despite the onboard computer fans I think the room temperature has been affecting the CD ROM/DVD running quality. As a result I'm not trying any long distance flying on very hot days in case of a system failure.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well everything is in the same drive, and I have 24 free gb's. And my temps are in the 50's...so frustrating. Really is taking the fun out of flying. Sad