Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Air Crash Investigation

Jamie4590 Guest

I've been watching a series commissioned by National Geographic called Air Crash Investigation. Each 60 minute episode is of course harrowing but at the same time very well made and informative. Some have left me with unanswered questions and I wonder if anyone here has seen this fascinating series?

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

ive seen one were the captain go sucked out of a bac 1-11 but was held in by the flight attendant while the co pilot landed luckuly he did not die he was at 28,000 ft he says he remembered seeing the engines spining

Pro Member Trainee
astraGTE Trainee

Karlw wrote:

ive seen one were the captain go sucked out of a bac 1-11 but was held in by the flight attendant while the co pilot landed luckuly he did not die he was at 28,000 ft he says he remembered seeing the engines spining

i saw it how did he survive i love air crash investigation brilliant programe also flight deck is good on discovery wings

Jamie4590 Guest

Wow he was lucky! I've not seen that one yet. Its incredible the details that all conspire together to make these disasters happen.

Last night I saw the 1977 runway collision between two 747's. The single worst air disaster to date resulting in a huge loss of life. Related to this tragedy I have a question for real-life pilots about radio communications if someone will give me the nod to go ahead.....

Pro Member Trainee
astraGTE Trainee

Jamie4590 wrote:

Wow he was lucky! I've not seen that one yet. Its incredible the details that all conspire together to make these disasters happen.

Last night I saw the 1977 runway collision between two 747's. The single worst air disaster to date resulting in a huge loss of life. Related to this tragedy I have a question for real-life pilots about radio communications if someone will give me the nod to go ahead.....

not seen that one, i saw kid in the cockpit when he turned the yoke and switch off the ap i also saw the one were he was hi jacked and had to land on water due to fuel. onyl 50 survied i saw loads and really liked them

A disaster that could have been averted if the ailerons being disconnected from the autopilot had an audio warning and not just an audio warning for complete autopilot disconnection.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I have followed the this TV series from the beginning,and yes it is an eye opener.
So far,the majority of accidents were caused by a mechaninical fault,but some of these were due to human,or lack of human intervention
If you have any interest in flying,and you must have to be here,try and catch some of this TV series

http://nationalgeographic.co.uk/watch/series_details.aspx?id_series=7

The link above is for the UK targeted channel,but Im sure where ever you live,this series will be shown

Jamie4590 you asked for the nod to ask questions,go ahead and ask.We have some real pilots who will come through with answers for any question

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I liked Air Crash Investigations until they took it off the standard 5 channels Crying or Very sad Like TTT says, ask any question you want - I'm sure somebody here will be able to answer it 😉

Pro Member Trainee
astraGTE Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

I liked Air Crash Investigations until they took it off the standard 5 channels Crying or Very sad Like TTT says, ask any question you want - I'm sure somebody here will be able to answer it 😉

i can't remeber it being on one of teh 5 chanels only ever saw it on discovery??

Pro Member Chief Captain

astraGTE wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

i can't remeber it being on one of teh 5 chanels only ever saw it on discovery??

It used to be on channel 5 at 9 O'clock a while back.

😉

Pro Member Trainee
astraGTE Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

astraGTE wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

It used to be on channel 5 at 9 O'clock a while back.

😉

wish i would ahve new that then lol! only got sky for months back!! 😞

Jamie4590 Guest

I recently watched a reconstruction of the events leading up to the Concorde crash in 2000. It affected me deeply. Seeing my favourite aircraft with a faultless safety record stricken like that deeply moved me.
I know the aircraft was well past V1 when the rear tyre hit the metal strip and started the chain of events but I cant stop thinking what might have been if the Crew decided to abort takeoff. Perhaps if ground control had been more verbal when advising flames were visible the captain might have better understood the situation and made the decision to abort takeoff. I think at that point the crew felt it was an engine fire and started the engine fire procedure but this was futile. Had they known the severity of the fire and aborted it may still have led to a disaster but not on the same scale. I know I'm no different to anyone else to still have these 'questions' in my mind and there has to be acceptance of what happened but I cant stop thinking about it. Even though it happened 6 years ago when I was 23 its only now since seeing the programme that the shock and difficulty in accepting it has taken hold.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamie,

After any incident like that, many people always ask the question of what if?. Theres always many different possible outcomes to a scenario, and the Captain, in terms of aviation law, took the correct one. V1 is there for a reason. It is calculated by working out the weight of the aircraft, thrust, flaps, weather conditions and length of the runway along with the braking power when set to maximum, so at that speed, you will have just enough runway to stop. If you are way above V1, then it is nearly certain, that there won't be enough runway to stop the aircraft on, so will over run, probably collapse the landing gear, which could possibly lead to an explosion and then death.

As far as I can remember, the ruptured tyre only pierced the fuel tank causing an explosion on rotation, so nothing could be done other than to continue the takeoff, which led to them losing control. In such a serious situation at high speed, there really isn't that much you can do with a ruptured tyre and an exploded fuel tank and structural damage.

If only the Concorde was a metre left / right of the centerline...

Jamie4590 Guest

Thank-you for your comments Jon. Something else I find confusing is why the CAA would not allow Virgin Atlantic to take over the running of Concorde. Richard Branson desperately wanted to take over the fleet regardless of initial profits/loss. Was he denied the chance to protect his airline from a financial blackhole or are there more issues than that on why the Concorde was permamently grounded instead of giving the opportunity to the highest bidder?

Will there once again be commercial supersonic flight in the next 20 years?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

Thank-you for your comments Jon. Something else I find confusing is why the CAA would not allow Virgin Atlantic to take over the running of Concorde. Richard Branson desperately wanted to take over the fleet regardless of initial profits/loss. Was he denied the chance to protect his airline from a financial blackhole or are there more issues than that on why the Concorde was permamently grounded instead of giving the opportunity to the highest bidder?

Will there once again be commercial supersonic flight in the next 20 years?

Jamie,

I didn't know about the CAA refusing Branson leadership of Concorde, but if this was after the accident at Charles De Gaulle, then it was probably because the Concorde was deemed to be unsafe in its current state. There was talk of upgrading the aircraft, i.e. making the fuel tanks stronger so they couldn't be pierced by debris, which would have come at great cost. Basically, the entire Concorde fleet would have had to been overhauled. At that time, the Concorde wasn't making that much profit as it had restricted duties, and it was losing its fascination.
I don't think that the CAA could care less about Branson's financial situation if they took on Concorde; their primary objective is to ensure the safety of passengers, something which Concorde had the potential to compromise. In short, Concorde was deemed unsafe, without extensive re-modelling (plus it was using 60s technology so any disaster was likely to be the downfall of Concorde) etc, which wouldn't have been of much use in relation to the profit they bring in.

As for further supersonic jets...

I don't think we will see another supersonic jet for a long time, due to the fact that in the 1960s, airliners were often fairly slow and flights took a long time. Now, jets are cruising faster with ticket prices being fairly low. The market for getting to your destination in half the time, for double the ticket price isn't particularly appealing to many people. The cost of running them is particularly high. Any airline would have to take a great risk to re-enter the commercial supersonic segment of the aviation industry - something which Branson isn't really considering at the moment.

😉