Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Other for me. I'm training.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

Good luck i keep on bugging my dad to fly beacuse he soloed at 18 then quit and now hes 41 so yeah

Jamie4590 Guest

I've never had a lesson yet but I dream of getting a PPL and then who knows?

Although I'm getting older its never too late. I read a book recently called Ready For Take Off by Patrick Quinn. This is a man that, in his 50's got a flying lesson as a present from his daughters. He fell in love with it and went on to get his PPL. All this while studying for a PhD. It was the first book in a long time I've not been able to put down until I finished it. Theres a lot of stuff in that book that's been invaluable and of course its made me realise that age should not be a factor. In fact its your later years where your most likely to be financially capable fo training for a PPL. If your young when you begin training you have the advantage of a lifetime experience ahead of you and will likely become an expert in your field.

Can pilots smoke in the cockpit?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

I've never had a lesson yet but I dream of getting a PPL and then who knows?

Although I'm getting older its never too late. I read a book recently called Ready For Take Off by Patrick Quinn. This is a man that, in his 50's got a flying lesson as a present from his daughters. He fell in love with it and went on to get his PPL. All this while studying for a PhD. It was the first book in a long time I've not been able to put down until I finished it. Theres a lot of stuff in that book that's been invaluable and of course its made me realise that age should not be a factor. In fact its your later years where your most likely to be financially capable fo training for a PPL. If your young when you begin training you have the advantage of a lifetime experience ahead of you and will likely become an expert in your field.

Can pilots smoke in the cockpit?

Age isn't a factor - its not unheard of that people get their PPL when they are 65-70. I'm only starting young because I'm lucky enough to have the oppurtunity now instead of 20/30 years down the line. Good luck with it if you do start soon! You'll make a fine pilot 😎

And no, in GA aircraft they can't and certainly not in commercial aircraft. I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule, but not many.

😉

Jamie4590 Guest

I don't smoke myself but I was interested to know because in his book Patrick Quinn was lighting up every 10 minutes in his trainer! I thought what happens if you drop it inbetween your legs?? It was written in the late 80's though.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

I don't smoke myself but I was interested to know because in his book Patrick Quinn was lighting up every 10 minutes in his trainer! I thought what happens if you drop it inbetween your legs?? It was written in the late 80's though.

Most cockpits are made out of a special foam that is comfortable to sit on for long periods of time, but when burnt, produces toxic fumes (polyurethane) which can cause incapacitation and death. We wouldn't want that now would we 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Real pilot! Here's me, a long time ago during WWI.

Joke 😉

Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

You missed out:
Shocking virtual pilot who wouldn't stand a chance in the real world.
ROFL

bosox45 Guest

real pilot in the af

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

violentviolet wrote:

You missed out:
Shocking virtual pilot who wouldn't stand a chance in the real world.
ROFL

Seriously, is your sig big enough. Wink

As for the poll, of course I'm a "virtual" pilot. I'm only 22 but I'm self employed and I'm currently making more money then I ever thought I'd make so I'm pretty happy off right now. But in a couple years I'd like to start saving up for flying schools and eventually get a commercial liscense some day. I've always had a thing for flying cargo. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

PPL at 20 now 38 flying commercial operate Lear 35A's out of KASH and surrounding areas fly vip's to job sites working for APA.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

GoneGolfing wrote:

PPL at 20 now 38 flying commercial operate Lear 35A's out of KASH and surrounding areas fly vip's to job sites working for APA.

Nice 🙂

Jamie4590 Guest

99jolegg wrote:

Most cockpits are made out of a special foam that is comfortable to sit on for long periods of time, but when burnt, produces toxic fumes (polyurethane) which can cause incapacitation and death. We wouldn't want that now would we 😉

Even in the modern age are cockpits still made out of flamable substance?
There is always the risk of electrical fire?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm not sure, it is probably a flammable soft foam with a fire retardant cover and modern cockpits contain a fire extinguisher within arms reach anyway so a fire would never reach the foam, and if it did, then that is probably the least of your worries.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I've logged sometime in 152s, 172s, and just yesterday a Diamond Katana in the real world. I'm not officially a student pilot becuase i'm under age. Have to be 16 and right now i'm preparing a letter of complaint to the FAA. 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...