Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Getting Flight Simulator 2004 Tomorrow :)

Munkeh Guest

Helloooooooo guys!

Righty I'm getting flight sim tomorrow Group Wave It looks pretty damn kool...but after looking around the forums, looks like a nightmare for someone new! 😳

What do you guys reccomend to do to start off and stuff? I assume there's training...and I really want to get into a big airliner 😎 but probably a bit too big a step.

Oh yeah and what add ons are best?

Thanks 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Hey, welcome to our world 😉

Well i'd advise reading the ground material...but if your human then you'll just want to get into an aircraft and fly.

Some might tell you not to get straight into an airliner...it may be a good idea to start with a small prop like the Cessna 152.

The lessons are useful in FS but I have found them very frustrating in the past...the best way to learn is through simple trial and error, and of course you can ask questions on these forums 😉

The most important thing though is that you enjoy yourself ❗ ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Welcome and I hope you enjoy the sim - please feel free to ask any questions you have.

FS is a big learning curve, but is highly rewarding. You're likely to get the best reception if you start off in a Cessna and do the lessons, asking any questions you have here, on the forums. As opposed to climbing into a 747 and wondering why you can't fly from airport to airport without crashing. Do that, and you're likely to get the reply "do the lessons".

I suggest you get the sim first, and find areas that you want to upgrade before you consider addons 😉

TimH Guest

OK here is some advice for you, more or less which 99joelegg has summed up nicely 🙂

When you get the sim first, you are probably going out to try the bigger planes first (747 etc). This isnt a personal comment, more or less everyone looks to see what the much advertised 747 is like, its more or less normal to have a go with, but it is going to be impossible to fly without starting with the Cessna and taking lessons first

My advice is after you do all the first time things, which usually involves checking out all the planes, seeing what your home airport is like in fs etc, take the lessons

Sure Rod Machado is as annoying as hell at times, and the checkrides can be very annoying and sometimes bugged, but still do them all

They really help. Even though you may not think at first (I dont see how flying a Cessna in a straight line is going to help me succesfully fly a heavy metal, it does, so dont just jump straight onto the 737 lessons, because they will be a handful at first)

I made this video
http://www.freewebs.com/tim_hyland/testflight.html
Its of me flying a 737-700. I'm not here to pimp my video or anything, just to say that I myself think I did a good job flying that 737-700, and I wouldnt be able to fly anywhere near as good as I thought I flew in that video if it wasnt for taking them lessons, and practising them in the solo flights

Please let us know how you get on, fs may seem a handful at first but the good thing is that you can take it at your own pace, you dont have to learn it all in the one day etc

Enjoy FS, its probably the best buy I have ever made in my whole life so hopefully it will be yours to 😀

Pro Member Trainee
mikecurrie Trainee

I've been playing FS for about 30-40 hours in total, maybe more, and I still can't land the 737 very well (i even managed to goof up with the appraoch autopilot on, didnt have enough power and was about 20 mtrs too early on the ground) but anyway, definatly start doing the cessna lessons and some of the 'select a flight' the just work your way up to the beechcraft, start learning ATC commands if you want to fly online (which makes it much more challenging IMO) with vatsim, then play with the big boys, then, just click autopilot, and ur off!

Munkeh Guest

Well I've started training but just had to come off as going out...just done stalls and now doing ILS and some other stuff like that (can't remember).

I love it. Think it's excellent, certinally changes your perception of what goes on inside a cockpit 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

you should brush up on your skills quickly so that you will be ready for FX 😛

Jamie4590 Guest

Welcome Munkeh, this is the place to be. As already advised its fine to play around in the cockpit and experiment with the jets at first but at some point you should decide to devote all your time to one trainer aircraft and don't know near another plane until you've mastered the inside of your chosen bird. Learn the layout so you can see it in your sleep. Read up on navigation and about all the cockpit instruments. Its hard work but structure your reading so it flows. For example the exiting subject of ILS requires knowledge of various aviation topics to appreciate and fully understand. Its important to take learning one step at a time to promote good flying habits. Some of the most exhilarating experiences I've had are thanks to flight sims and the more I learn the more I admire 'real-life' pilots for the job they do.

Its a challenge to get to a standard where you can create flight plans, and fly them, in large jets and appreciate the sophisticated equipment provided in the cockpit to make your job easier. Sadly, I found you can't learn it all in one night, it wouldn't be as much fun if it was too easy though so from now on think aviation. You've got a lot of help and advice on hand from people who want you to make your first ILS landing. Work for it and enjoy the ride. 😀

Munkeh Guest

Heh cheers for the more tips 🙂

Right I've got my first problem! I'm on a ATC lesson, and I need to taxi. So, i've set my controls for yaw rudder left and right, however, when I select either, I click the button on my joystick, but say i click left, the plane keeps on going left and I can't stop it! Same with right, but once going left, if i clicked right, then this wouldn't cancel left action. And the plane keeps going left.

I hope that makes sense ?!! How do I stop this because I can't learn further with it happening 😞

Jamie4590 Guest

There is a button that returns the rudder to center rather than doing it manually. Assign that command and that might solve it. Pressing SHIFT + S should change your camera view. Or you can change the camera view by pressing ALT and scrolling through the options. Using the different views you can zoom in to the control surfaces on the plane to see the movement working and see the rudder 'snap' back to center using the associated key. I dont know if real aircraft have this facility for the rudder but I rely on it when on the tarmac.

Munkeh Guest

Thanks for tip but it doesn't help, and it's really beggining to irratate me in game because I can't do anything!

I just want to turn a bit left on the tarmac, but it doesn't stop turning, please, how about someone just tells me what settings for turning left and right on the runway?

I've got rudder yaw left and right set atm, and the plane never stops turning or becomes VERY un responsive, i.e. i'll hold right for 3 seconds sometimes and it turns right or 30 seconds something till it turns, argh! Evil or Very Mad

Jamie4590 Guest

The rudder and elevons control the left and right movement but the rudder is favoured for taxi direction. Elevons are the wing surfaces that bank the plane in the air. Get an outside view of the rudder as you press the buttons so you can better understand why you're having this problem and post your findings. Try only adding 15- -20% throttle and tap the rudder RIGHT, monitor what happens, then tap LEFT. This should put you back on the runway centerline. Move very slowly to ensure your key assignments work. If they do then you could be adding too much power which is causing the plane to overturn.

Select a quick flight at, say heathrow, you have a long runway to play with and you can use it to get your key commands down. It took me about 2000 hours just to configure all the keyboard controls (I'm not exagerating) 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Taxiing using the keyboard is a hard task - in fact, I never managed it perfectly. Where you are going wrong, is where Jamie4590 has pointed out. You need to just tap the left / right rudder to move it left and right, and then tap the opposite direction to center the rudder - don't hold the left / right rudder down because it will swing full left / right and it'll take an age to center it.

P.S Jamie, the 3 control surfaces are rudder, ailerons and elevators - I think you combined ailerons and elevators in your previous post 😉

Munkeh Guest

Cheers guys, I was holding it aye so the problem seems to have gone now 😀

Now I need to get rid of Ron - he just ended the lesson because "I was distracted" while he was flying! Silly man that Ron is.

Jamie4590 Guest

Glad to hear it Munkeh.

Jon, Elevators are on the tail section and are used to pitch the nose up and down. As they dont control left and right movement they didn't get a mention but they are quite important. 😉

Control surfaces on the wing are the ailerons and elevons. Both independant from each other and both help you steer left and right. From what I understand all aircraft have elevons but not all have ailerons. If I'm way off the mark on that please go easy! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

Glad to hear it Munkeh.

Jon, Elevators are on the tail section and are used to pitch the nose up and down. As they dont control left and right movement they didn't get a mention but they are quite important. 😉

All true.

Jamie4590 wrote:

Control surfaces on the wing are the ailerons and elevons. Both independant from each other and both help you steer left and right. From what I understand all aircraft have elevons but not all have ailerons. If I'm way off the mark on that please go easy! 😀

It depends on what aircraft you are talking about. 90% of conventional GA aircraft and 100% of the commercial aircraft (that I know of) have ailerons on the wings (they can't be used on the ground), elevators on the part of the vertical stabiliser, and a rudder also on the vertical stabiliser, so they have 3 different control surfaces for the 3 axes (roll, pitch and yaw). Elevons are control surfaces that are only used on delta wing systems, where it combines the functions of elevators and ailerons due to a non-existent vertical stabiliser (in the conventional sense).

Elevons are usually placed on the trailing edge of a wing, so when moved up and down, control pitch just like an elevator does. The axis of roll is achieved by creating polarised lift, i.e. one elevon on the left wing goes down (creating lift) and the elevon on the right wing goes up (decreasing lift). Asymmetric lift of the left wing rolls the aircraft to the right. It is mainly military jets like stealth aircraft that use elevons.

😉

Jamie4590 Guest

Cheers mate. Useful stuff to know. 😉

Munkeh Guest

Intresting read jolegg!

Well I just did my first fspassenger flight (and first 737 flight) with the trial version! 😀 Dead kool, had 100% satisifaction right up to the end when it went to 2% 😞 Went into overspeed so reduced engine power and put up flaps...flaps flew off and plane kept veering to the left!!

Managed to land it at destenation airport, so weren't too bad.

What's the procedure when you go into overspeed?

Reduce power and lose speed 😛

But in real life planes never go into overspeed, all pilots are careful like that, and its not going to jump itself into overspeed unless the pilot does something wrong

When you go into overspeed, dont slam on flaps, the plane could float up like a balloon. Maybe it might help to put on spoilers (press '/') and raise the nose to maintain altitude and speed should drop quickly. When you reach your desired speed for the altitude you are at, lower the spoilers and lower the nose

Pro Member Chief Captain

There isn't really a procedure for overspeed, other than to reduce thrust. The key is to not become overspeed in the first place. You have to follow a lot of rules of flying for FsP to not penalise you. Flap and gear extension speeds are 2 of the most important.

😉