SearchSearch 

What is the Ideal system for FSX??

dutchie936 Guest

O.K.,I've put off building a new computer for almost a year now.In anticipation of the release of FSX.So I would like some advice from more experienced computer guys.I have a good chunk of money saved,what would the "IDEAL" set up be for FSX?? Thanks for your help. 😀

15 Responses

ideal? as good as your money can buy, in my opinion.

The more the better.

CtrlAltDlt Guest

I suggest waiting a tad bit longer. Wait and see what people say about how it runs on their systems. I have a feeling that many people will be quite upset performance-wise. I can't even get FS9 to get past 15 fps. (I have integrated graphics with 128 mb shared video mem) I really need a new gpu, but I'm waiting for fsx to come and everybody to start hollering from both joy and pain. Call it a bittersweet experience.

But then again, what do I know?

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

Hew Would 20 Fps be goood what is the best

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

HI!!! 😎

I happen to be an expert in this field. 😂

An ideal system would have an AMD Athlon FX or an Intel Pentuim 4 (one that is DualCore and 64 bit). For the graphics card, a nVidia GeForce 7950 is ideal (you can get a ATi GPU also, if you want). nVidia SLI or ATI Cross-fire also boost the speed. With nVidia SLI and two or four GeForce 7950s, your PC would be the fastest around. 😳
If you want to get Windows Vista (which is 64 bit), get a nVidia nForce motherboard. Windows Vista will run FSX MUCH MUCH faster than Win XP. I belive Vista will have Windows Aero and DX10.
You can get a 200GB HD (those are big but not too expensive).

How much money do you have saved? ❓
If you have $3,000 or more, go to Dell.com and check out the XPS.
If you have between 1,000 and 3,000, just look around for a fast system. 😉
If you have $1,000 or less, KEEP saving. Hack Or, you can just upgrade your system.

I reccomend you wait until THE LAST moment to get a new system. That will give you more time to save money, and also, the price will be lower on everything. Juggle

I hope this answered your questions!

dutchie936 Guest

Thanks Encarta!! Thats exactly what I was looking for.I have just over 2grand saved,and am going to build my PC from the motherboard out.But I will wait til FSX comes out then away we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

dutchie936 wrote:

Thanks Encarta!! Thats exactly what I was looking for.I have just over 2grand saved,and am going to build my PC from the motherboard out.But I will wait til FSX comes out then away we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be sure to buy a video card(s) (not out yet) that supports DirectX 10 not one of the ones that he mentioned above.
DirectX 10 will be part of Vista (not useable on XP) and FSX is going to be optimized for it.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

RadarMan wrote:

dutchie936 wrote:

Be sure to buy a video card(s) (not out yet) that supports DirectX 10 not one of the ones that he mentioned above.
DirectX 10 will be part of Vista (not useable on XP) and FSX is going to be optimized for it.

Radar

Actually, there are video cards that will support DX10. I heard a nVidia podcast saying that any video card that has DX9c WILL support DX10. Go to nvidia.com to hear the podcast............ 😀

DX10 will take most of the load OFF the CPU and instead games will use a GPU.......and at the same time it will use the CPU, which will make games and programs faster. 😂

I reccomend that when you want to buy, get a nVidia GPU. With those, you can rig up to 4 on one motherboard. 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

encarta2006 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

dutchie936 wrote:

Radar

Actually, there are video cards that will support DX10. I heard a nVidia podcast saying that any video card that has DX9c WILL support DX10. Go to nvidia.com to hear the podcast............ 😀

DX10 will take most of the load OFF the CPU and instead games will use a GPU.......and at the same time it will use the CPU, which will make games and programs faster. 😂

I reccomend that when you want to buy, get a nVidia GPU. With those, you can rig up to 4 on one motherboard. 😳

The closest that I can find.
If you can still locate that video (or Podcast) I would like to see it.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_31190.html

Radar

CtrlAltDlt Guest

Keep in mind that while these cards will or might be dx10 compatible, that doesn't mean they're optimized. So far no one has even the SDKs for dx10 and the hardware companies haven't yet designed cards for Vista. All this takes time and patience unfortunately. However, dx10 looks promising performance-wise.

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

CtrlAltDlt wrote:

Keep in mind that while these cards will or might be dx10 compatible, that doesn't mean they're optimized. So far no one has even the SDKs for dx10 and the hardware companies haven't yet designed cards for Vista. All this takes time and patience unfortunately. However, dx10 looks promising performance-wise.

I agree...... 😀 🙂 Surprised 😂 😎

tabjai Guest

I'm planning to upgrade my PC to play FSX> I bought a new one in 2003 for FS2004 and I still use it and it runs amazingly. I have the Geforce FX5200. For about $1000-1300 I'm planning to upgrade everything but the case, HD and CD/DVD drives. I'm planning on getting a Geforce 7900 (when FSX is released and prices are lower), 3.6 GHx processor (intel), a good motherboard and 2GB 433 MHz RAM.

I think that with that I can run it with Vista appropriately.

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

tabjai wrote:

I'm planning to upgrade my PC to play FSX> I bought a new one in 2003 for FS2004 and I still use it and it runs amazingly. I have the Geforce FX5200. For about $1000-1300 I'm planning to upgrade everything but the case, HD and CD/DVD drives. I'm planning on getting a Geforce 7900 (when FSX is released and prices are lower), 3.6 GHx processor (intel), a good motherboard and 2GB 433 MHz RAM.

WAIT!!!!! Don't get a GeForce 7900!!!!! Get a GeForce 7950!!!!! They only cost $100 more but are much faster. It has TWO proccesers in one!!!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I suggest that you wait until Microsoft Vista is out before buying a system. If you want a top of the line system, take a look at a few places that I'm considering getting my next computer from. 🙂

www.falcon-nw.com/

www.widowpc.com/

www.velocitymicro.com/category.php?cid=12&PHPSESSID=4d8be3d768602850ada1c93649b91428

tabjai Guest

encarta2006 wrote:

tabjai wrote:

WAIT!!!!! Don't get a GeForce 7900!!!!! Get a GeForce 7950!!!!! They only cost $100 more but are much faster. It has TWO proccesers in one!!!!!

I know, but I have a tight budget. I'll se the prices around december when I'm getting it. And, will the 7950 be able to run FSX in Windows Vista with DirectX10?

Pro Member Trainee
encarta2006 Trainee

tabjai wrote:

encarta2006 wrote:

tabjai wrote:

I know, but I have a tight budget. I'll se the prices around december when I'm getting it. And, will the 7950 be able to run FSX in Windows Vista with DirectX10?

Oh!

The Geforce 7950 will cost less when FSX comes out, so KEEP SAVING!!!! Also, nVidia might just develop one that is optimized for DX10, so if you can find one that is, than buy it! The reason I ALWAYS reccomend getting the 7950 is because it is 512-bit. You can get a 512 mb 512-bit card from ATI for $1,200 😳 (which is WAY TOO MUCH), but from nVidia you can get the 7950 that is 1 GB and is 512 for $600!!!!!!!!!

God bless, hope you can save LOTS for the BEST PC!!!!
😂