Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

SUPER HOT!

GringoHomie Guest

Just yesterday, I went to check something on my computer when I noticed that the back of my PC was SUPER HOT! I noticed that the fan that usually cools the hard drive wasn't spinning. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it safe to use the computer like this?

2) Do I need a new hard drive or can I just replace the fan?

3) Because of the many power surges in my area, could a power surge (my computer is plugged into a surge protector) have caused the fan to break, and if so, would it be a surge protector failure?

I will appreciate all the help I can get.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

GringoHomie wrote:

Just yesterday, I went to check something on my computer when I noticed that the back of my PC was SUPER HOT! I noticed that the fan that usually cools the hard drive wasn't spinning. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it safe to use the computer like this?

2) Do I need a new hard drive or can I just replace the fan?

3) Because of the many power surges in my area, could a power surge (my computer is plugged into a surge protector) have caused the fan to break, and if so, would it be a surge protector failure?

I will appreciate all the help I can get.

(1) It is not safe to use your computer like that. Excess heat is the enemy of any electronic device.

(2) The fan not working has nothing to do with your hard drive. If it is only a faulty fan then that is all that needs to be
replaced. I would replace the fan and go from there.

(3) It probably isn't a surge problem. Most likely it is just the fan has give up. Did you notice any unusual noise from the
computer before it quit? That is usually a sign the bearings have went dry. Maybe dry bearings has seized it up, maybe it has
just burned out. I have had fans go bad. Both the ones in the case and the ones on the CPU.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Shocked SWITCH OFF NOW read the rest later

Rolling Eyes WarHawk42 has it all spot on Wink

Case cooling fans are cheap and easy to replace

IF you can fit 2 one to replace the faulty one and another at the lower front of your case (bottom one blowing in top rear blowing out)

GringoHomie Guest

The box that the fan is in says "only a certified technician should open". Is it still ok to open it?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

GringoHomie wrote:

The box that the fan is in says "only a certified technician should open". Is it still ok to open it?

That box is your power supply and should never be opened unless you have first disconnected the power cord to the
computer. You have raw 110 volt power coming into that.

Changing a fan is a simple matter but if you don't feel comfortable with it I would take the Computer to a shop and have it
changed. It should not cost all that much. It does not sound like you have much knowledge of the workings of the computer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Don't turn it on with out the fans working, you'll lose the entire machine.
If you don't know how or don't want to change the power supply take it to a pro and let him put in a new one with double fans, get at least a 350w (Antec if possible) and while he's in there let him put a $10 fan in the rear of the machine. If your case a can take it have him put one in the front to suck in cold air.
You can never have too many fans.

Have him clean your heat sink fan (CPU fan).

Radar

GringoHomie Guest

I took the power supply apart, and I found out that the fan had popped out because of a spring. So I took out the spring (I don't know why it was there) and put the fan back in and it works Very Happy Now all I have to do is hope the fan stays there. Thanks for all the help Cool

Doh! Rolling Eyes