Something missing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Hi,

When doing long haul flights..I tend to get a little bored if you like when up in the air at my cruise altitude...doing nothing for about five hours.

Is their any add-on which can be used to fill this time when I am up in the air so I don't feel bored no more......... apart from FSPax.

Thanks 😀

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not that I know of. If there is, then it is likely to be unrealistic because there really isn't much to do in real life, other than checking engine output, weather forecasts, approach plates for your destination and for alternative airports.

😉

dvorak Guest

I'm a real world pilot, I fly the 737-700 for a passenger airline and let me tell you that can be a wee bit boring on the long flights when cruising

Usually the pilot and co-pilot would spend alot of the cruising time just talking about stuff, anything really, general conversation

Sometimes if we get bored we would hand-fly the aircraft for about 10 mins, before turning autopilot back on

Ah but when flying a long flight there is also other stuff that occupies your time, eating the plane food dinner and that!!

I dont know about FS, apart from FsPassengers, what else there is that would give you something to do in the air. What about the in-flight web browser? You can surf the web while monitoring the engines and other necessary instruments

Hope this helps

Jamie4590 Guest

I used to scribble mathmatic caluculations on bits of paper during flight. Stuff like fuel consumption and airport distance. Now I can fly a descent and make the calculations required in my head. Flight sims have really improved my maths which is useful for every day life.

I also get bored sometimes especially when I think it will all be in vain if I mess up the landing but there are always instrument scans and fuel calculations to do. Its the scans that identify a small problem before it becomes a major one. When you're cruising and autopilot is set make a cuppa or grab a cold beer. I know alcohol and flying don't mix but its too much fun! 😂

Dvorak, Are there rules from airline to airline that forbid you from disingaging the autopilot above certain altitudes or is it common for pilots to hand-fly during cruise? In the past when I've turned off the autopilot it canceles the pitch trim that had been set and sends the aircraft in to a nose dive! I assume to cobat this you would set the pitch trim dial to mimic the autopilot settings before autopilot disengagement?

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

If your doing a flight with a freind next to you like i do somtimes i ask my mom to get food like a ahhh wat r those calledyes flight attendent 😉 so we eat then somtimes talk somtimes play cards but watching the screeen

Jamie4590 Guest

Using the virtual cockpit view you can zoom right in to the instruments so they fill the screen. This way you can be some distance away from the monitor but still see the HSI clearly.

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

o yeah also in the virtual cockpit i like to zoom in on airports and other aircraft for a little bit

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

It seems that everyone is flying without the ATC. Otherwise, you'd be doing yet another needless frequency change every 10 minutes or so. I always love it when I am told to contact the center, whose space I left 1/2 hour ago. 😂

Jamie4590 Guest

lol the ATC is very enjoyable but its quirks like that which make me keep it off. That and I hate being rushed! I know I shouldn't as ATC is a way of life and crucial for all pilots. Is add-on ATC software for MSFS fault free?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...