Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

restarting pc

Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

A question for all of you, I'm always pondering this:

How often do you shutdown/restart your computer?

I do it fairly often to keep everything running clean, but I am curious
as to other thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Shut it down every night and boot it up every morning.
Scandisk and defrag once a week.
Dump my cookies, cache and history every night before shutdown.
Run AV once a week after Ad-Aware and Spybot with a dash of http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx once a month.
Run http://www.ccleaner.com/ about once a month.
Clean fans every 2 months.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Where is the best place to do this from, RM?

Sorry for the noob question, but your info is very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Go to the task bar on the top of your I.E. browser.
Click on tools/options/General tab/Cookies/Delete files (that's cache)/Clear history (I have mine set to 2 days).

This way you lighten the load on your browser and (paranoid) no one know that you've been wherever the next day.
You have broadband so you don't need the cache like DUN users do.
Hope this helps.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

Very much so. I'm quite paranoid myself.
Very helpful info, thanks again!! 🙂

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Shut it down every night and boot it up every morning.
Scandisk and defrag once a week.
Run AV once a week after Ad-Aware and Spybot with a dash of http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx once a month.
Run http://www.ccleaner.com/ about once a month.
Clean fans every 2 months.

Radar

Sounds like a recipe to me 😂

I shut down my computer most nights, but leave it on some nights (some virus programs run over night so I don't have to put up with them eating away at my CPU in the day) 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I turn my PC off during the week. I run CCleaner every night before shut down as this clears the internet cokkies & cache.

I have my Anti-virus run at night as I don't lose CPU time like Jon says. Before I run Spybot & Ad-ware I dump my cookies then run the scan.

At the weekend I leave my PC turned on if I'm downloading. It doesn't really harm the PC's that much if you don't turn it off, as long as you look after it.

Let's put this way if you look after your car it looks after you without breaking down.

Jamie4590 Guest

Computers are designed to be left on 24/7 (as long as the fans work and are clean) and constantly turning them on and off isn't very good for the processer. I always put mine on standby so I don't have to wait for the toolbar to reload. Businesses usually adopt a policy of just switching the monitor off and the hard drive will go in to standby on its own. This saves electricity, wear and tear on the computers internal components and the IT guys don't have to boot up each one before performing maintainance!

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

Computers are designed to be left on 24/7 (as long as the fans work and are clean) and constantly turning them on and off isn't very good for the processer. I always put mine on standby so I don't have to wait for the toolbar to reload. Businesses usually adopt a policy of just switching the monitor off and the hard drive will go in to standby on its own. This saves electricity, wear and tear on the computers internal components and the IT guys don't have to boot up each one before performing maintainance!

I totaly agree with you. At work my PC is always on apart from thw weekend.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

There was a mention of dumping cookies. Some cookies are needed to "remember" returning members, etc. I used to have my browser set to accept first party cookies and reject third party cookies, but the number of Censored webmasters that ware willing to put their site visitors at risk using this approach, is huge. This site is one of them,

Now I have my browser set to ask when any site wants to set cookies. Session cookies which are needed to determine who is requesting data, such as the types that banks use, I accept. On rarely, have I needed to remove cookies that were accepted.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

One of the best reasons for shutting the computer down at least once a day is to shut off some of the many programs (processes) that Windows runs in the background and then forgets to shut off after using.
Shutting down and restarting rids you of all those useless programs.

Yes, dump the cookies before running Ad-Aware or Spybot I forgot to add that. If you don't you'll get false readings.

Keeping cookies are only good if you set the weather or something else on a site that you want it to remember, they aren't necessary for re-log-in. Most have a 24 hour life anyway.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

One of the best reasons for shutting the computer down at least once a day is to shut off some of the many programs (processes) that Windows runs in the background and then forgets to shut off after using.

Yes, dump the cookies before running Ad-Aware or Spybot I forgot to add that. If you don't you'll get false readings.

Keeping cookies are only good if you set the weather or something else on a site that you want it to remember, they aren't necessary for re-log-in. Most have a 24 hour life anyway.

Radar

Cookies are necessary for auto-login. My bank also checks for cookies it has left and if they aren't there, I have to answer a bunch of security questions each time I log it. (That does not mean I don't have to enter the correct user name and password each time.) In other words, they are more cautious if I log in from another computer, than the one I usually use.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well I do what works for me. My computers go on and off, as and when I want to use them. Very seldom remove/delete cookies, run Pest Patrol once a month, defrag once a week, and keep my Anti-Virus, and Firewall completely up to date. Have done this for over 25 years now, only once had a problem with an 'el cheapo' Power Supply, went feet up. Last but not least, I run 1-Click Maintenance each time before switching off.

I have 3 computers that can run, all are treated the same, they are on a home net, and allow some very interesting gaming sessions when our sons visit. Actually, have a Lap-Top as well, for when we are out, and want to download our digi photos.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I shutdown my computer:
1. every night
2. when I'm not using my computer for an extended amount of time(over six hours). 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

RadarMan wrote:

That is the main reason I like to do restarts often - in fact I'm more likely
to do one before a gaming session than after. Thanks for everyone's input!!