I'm feeling VERY angry!

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I’m feeling very frustrated right now.

After spending a whole lot of money buying and installing a new graphics card, I am experiencing the worst graphics I have ever seen displayed on my system.

Before hand, I had an nVIDIA Geforce FX 5600, which was fairly average. I was told by installing a the new nVIDIA Geforce NZ 6600 that “your graphics quality will increase by 200-300%”

Right now, I am getting a maximum of 8-10 fps, and during my previous flight, my fps were hovering at around 4-5fps, only going up as high as 8fps very briefly for a few seconds.

I am using EXACTLY the same setting as in fs2004 that I was using with my previous FX5600 card, and if anything my graphics quality has decreased by 200-300%

I have installed all the latest drivers available for my card, and scanned and removed any virus’ and spyware from my system. During my flight, I had all no other programs running except for ScreenHunter (which I always use), yet the jolts between each frame displayed on screen is atrocious.

To make matters worse, I switched “off” antialiasing on my graphics card control panel, and “on” in the sim to make FSNAV load faster, yet it only loads marginally faster than with the anitalisaing settings the other way round, still loads slower than my old FX 5600. I still get horrible flickering between every menu I switch between, and FSNAV still takes ages to load.

And before you advise me to just swap my 6600 with my old 5600, I need to tell you the worst issue of all. As I was told my graphics would improve “200-300%”, I went ahead and sold my my 5600, which has now gone off in the mail.

What the heck can I do? This is a disaster. Believe it or not, my FPS where this bad for leg #2 of my Long White Cloud tour! Was I sold a faulty gfx card, or is there someway I can fix this??

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
meylan Guest

sorry cheekytrolly i use ATI so dont know much about nvidia but if no ones knows on this forum (im sure somone will ) try this site

http://www.driverheaven.net/forum.php

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Hi Cheeky 😉 I dont wish to offend you or anything, as this can be overlooked, but have you removed the old drivers ❓ I can't remember where from, I believe GM72 posted a link ❓ but there's a free utility for removing old drivers before installing new ones, it is known for them to conflict, just a thought. 😉

Why not give this a go.......
http://www.majorgeeks.com/NVIDIA_Forceware_32_Bit_2K-XP_d3294.html

or see if this tool works and then install your drivers again........
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Driver_Cleaner_Professional_d3214.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Driver cleaner.
Clean them both out and start fresh.
Don't forget to disable your AV before loading the drivers then enable it again when your finished.

After they are loaded go to /Start/Run/ and type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and test the video.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

Radar

Madbrit Guest

cheekytrolly wrote:

I was told by installing a the new nVIDIA Geforce NZ 6600 that “your graphics quality will increase by 200-300%”

Was it someone at the store that told you that? If it was, take it back and ask for a refund saying that it was solely on the store emloyee's advice (and hopefully you know which one) that you purchased the card.

Alternatively it might just be a bad card. Say it's not working and ask for a replacement or a refund.

Other than that maybe someone else who has this card can let you into the secret for getting it to work with FS. What is the performance like in other applications, especially any video intensive apps?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Can you guys give step by step instructions to uninstall and then reinstall drivers. I'm hoping if I do that it might solve my stressful encounters with FS. 🙂

Like for instance, how do I disable my AV.

I'm just afraid I'm totally going to screw my computer up trying to do this. I already downloaded drivercleaner quite awhile ago but I chickened out. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

Can you guys give step by step instructions to uninstall and then reinstall drivers. I'm hoping if I do that it might solve my stressful encounters with FS. 🙂

Like for instance, how do I disable my AV.

I'm just afraid I'm totally going to screw my computer up trying to do this. I already downloaded drivercleaner quite awhile ago but I chickened out. Wink

Download the drivers that you need, I do it to the desktop.
Clean out the old drivers using the driver cleaner. (or just delete them in the control panels (add or remove programs, whichever you feel more comfortable with).
Delete the card in the device manager.
Reboot the computer.
Windows will find the card.
Shut down the AV by right clicking on the icon in the system tray (disable).
Load the drivers, reboot if it wants you to.
Right click on the AV again and enable it.
Go to Start/Run/ type in "msconfig" (without the quotes).
Use the test to see how the new drivers are working in the display tab.

Radar

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Right, I am going to do that now.

Can you first tell me what AV is ("Shut down the AV")

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

I'm pretty sure he means anti-virus.

Best of luck, CT, sorry to hear of your troubles.

Remember, in a worst case scenario you can always save your important
stuff to an external HD, and then re-format your main HD.

Madbrit wrote:

cheekytrolly wrote:

I was told by installing a the new nVIDIA Geforce NZ 6600 that “your graphics quality will increase by 200-300%”

Was it someone at the store that told you that? If it was, take it back and ask for a refund saying that it was solely on the store emloyee's advice (and hopefully you know which one) that you purchased the card.

Alternatively it might just be a bad card. Say it's not working and ask for a replacement or a refund.

Other than that maybe someone else who has this card can let you into the secret for getting it to work with FS. What is the performance like in other applications, especially any video intensive apps?

Generally speaking the new card should improve FPS as it is a better card. It is only right that someone selling you a better card would say it will improve FPS because it certainly should. That's in an ideal world and sometimes you will come across issues. That's computers.

NZ 6600? Never actually heard of that card? There's the 6600LE, 6600GT etc. Which one do you have?

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I just went through the above process, and nothing has changed.

I have discovered that my motherboard is not 8x compatible, which I need in order to get better performance. I guess this was a mistake made by the guys at the computer shop, even though they knew what motherboard I had... oh well, that was a big waste of time.

I think I will give up simming for the time being, as I don't have enough time, money or patience to "resolve my problem", let alone restore my graphics to the previous state.

Thanks for your help.

BashDabish Guest

One more thing to try. Try adjusting the AGP aparture size in your bios. Set it to 256mb but definately no lower than 32mb. Experiment with it and it is a simple tweak that will cause no damage.

Good Luck

BashDaBish Guest

Oh and what motherboard is it? There may be a bios update for it.

meylan Guest

well i had set my AGP speed to x4 after it kept crashing on x8 but i havnt seen any visual drop but ive lost maybe 3fps thats all . keep searching

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...