SearchSearch 

Video Card Question

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Hey, I'm building a PC on dell, and I need to choose between 2x 256 cards, or one 512 (2x 512's are out of the question)

Is one 512 better than 2 256's? if so, why and how?

6 Responses

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

512 would be better if your going to upgrade later on

EDIT: ooo i thought you were talking about ram Embarassed

Last edited by atreyu on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Hello FEM long time no see

Good question,do you have a card in mind ?
Some test show that buying a card with more memory will run better than two lower mem cards in SLI mode
A bit more info please

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Ahh, thanks guys for the replies, but as it turns out, I'm just gonna go with the 2x 512 cards.

Thanks bunches anyway!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When you buy Vista and FSX Vista will have DirectX 10 but your cards won't be able to use it.
They don't make a card that can use DX 10 yet, yes it will run fine but FSX will be "optimized" graphically for it.

Maybe use a lower class card until the DX 10 ones come out.

Your sold on Dell, never looked at any other, like http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ ? Or build your own, www.newegg.com .

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Excuse me butting in, but has the Vista plus DirectX 10 combo been finalized. As I have read that the finalized version of Vista will work with DirectX 9c, but you will just miss out on a lot of eye-candy mostly.

I'm have been running Vista Beta on a spare computer, and it ran perfectly with DX9. But due to the still present lack of suitable drivers for many items, I've not used it much for fs9, this does run quite well, but has a few annoying hiccups. At present I'm waiting to do a couple of hardware upgrades, so out of the running temporarily.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

Excuse me butting in, but has the Vista plus DirectX 10 combo been finalized. As I have read that the finalized version of Vista will work with DirectX 9c, but you will just miss out on a lot of eye-candy mostly.

I'm have been running Vista Beta on a spare computer, and it ran perfectly with DX9. But due to the still present lack of suitable drivers for many items, I've not used it much for fs9, this does run quite well, but has a few annoying hiccups. At present I'm waiting to do a couple of hardware upgrades, so out of the running temporarily.

I agree, I just didn't word it better, thanks for clearing that up.

Radar