Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

ILS - Any wannabe instructors out there ??

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi all,

Firstly, this site has answered dozens of my questions since getting into FS9, so thanks to all for that, especially RadarMan and Tom The Tank.

I have no experiance at all of ILS and I'll put my hand up and say that the 'Learning Centre' is not helping me much here for some reason.

Would anyone like to have a go at replying with a 6 or 7 point 'checklist' that talks me through setting up and activating ILS on the default 737...

I mean from finding out the ILS frequency to where you enter it, etc, etc,

Up to now, I've only used GPS for 'Direct Waypoint' Navigation, while I've been practicing take-off landing and manouvrability (still can't spell it) of the aircraft.

An idiots guide within one posting would be very gratefully received.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did you try this site?

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Very Happy Hi
Here is a link to a very happy ROFL looking pilot Arrow

If here was my instructor Fear

Joking aside some very good tips to be had

Hope it helps

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

BAH, dont bother following links! I always use ILS, Here's a quick Checklist that'll get you to where you wanna be!

Any questions go to my Instant Messaging programs

Yahoo: fire_emblem_master

MSN Big_Beia@hotmail.com

THIS IS FOR IFR FLIGHT!

1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually Heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the directon and atitude of the pink arrows intull they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you wanna use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

Pro Member Captain

WOW !!

Superb list Fire_Emblem_Master ...... GOT ME EXACTLY WHERE I WANT TO BE, so thanks for that !!

The links can be good but sometimes it's great to get a simple 6 point list talking you through and getting you started, then the written pieces can be helpful afterwards.

F_E_M, you're my ILS role model and hero, well done, been trying to understand it as simply as this for a couple of weeks.

Thanks y'all,

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Great job by FEM. Clapping I'll add a couple of notes.

In step 1, you also want to note what is listed for the approach heading. You'll want to set that into the COURSE setting (or dial it in with the OBS, depending on your panel) so that the needles will align with the approach. This is not critical, and if you forget, you can just set it to the rnwy number (ex: 320 for rnwy 32).

Under some circumstances, ATC will have you decending late (because of terrain usually), and it's possible that you may still be above the glideslope and decending when you get to step 5. If that's the case, and you want to do step 6, don't select APP until you're below the glideslope. If you select it while still above glideslope, it will probably fail. Shocked

Have fun.

Pro Member Captain

Thanks Arkydave, I've printed your tips and will check this out too... Last night I came in just under the Glideslope so all was ok but I'll take you're advice ready for approaches that drop in from above !

THANKS!

Pro Member Captain

Just wanted to add to this posting in case any newish FS users are having any misunderstandings of ILS in general, as I was.

It is possible to LOAD ILS approaches into the GPS system, which I thought was an easier, more high-tec way of using ILS, instead of fiddling with the 'Nav Radios'.... ILS Approaches are selected in GPS by clicking on the PROC button.

The first time I set a GPS ILS approach up, my plane landed perfectly alligned to the runway (although obviously the descent / Glideslope needs to be flown manually), so this reinforced my misunderstanding that was a precision way of flying ILS.

When I relied on this tool at Mustang Beach, Port Aransas TX, I swung wide of the runway and crashed - so what went wrong ?

Well the ILS stuff in the GPS is just there for visual assistance, in other words so you can see the Vectors and direction of the Approach but it is not a Precision Approach tool.... you can't rely on it to bring you in straight, it will just get you on the initial approach path.

Thanks to FireEmblemMaster's posting above on how to set the NAV1 radio and enter the ILS RWY setting into it, I can now see how accurate the NAV ILS approaches are - AND, you get the benefit of Glideslope guidance, which you don't get with GPS.

So if you're a newy, or a reasonably newy like me, don't be fooled into thinking GPS in the modern day replacement for NAV Radios / VORs / ILS because it isn't - it's just a great visual tool to see where you are in the skies - and of course an easy way of travelling from Waypoint to Waypoint.

(I guess I should now change my name on here to "The-NAV-Kid"!).

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

How about "Flight Sim Kid". Cool David, you may get some benefit from the following two sites. They provide some pretty clear explanations about a lot of things related to this hobby/addiction of ours. The second one, in particular, I got a lot of mileage out of. Hope you find them useful.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/
http://www.flightsimaviation.com/aviation_theory.html

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

There are GPS systems that are enhanced with WAAS( Wide Area Augmentation Signal) signals that make possible vertical navigation by GPS. With that kind of set-up you can by way of GPS set up your own ILS landings at virtually any airport in the world large or small.

Pro Member Chief Captain

yeah, as far as the course setting goes, i dont use that much, because, i fly a 757, and i use the 777 panel, so its got a little G/S readout right on the attitude indicator, so i dont have to look too far down from seeing the ground.

Thanks PGS Kid!!!! I'm glad i'm your role model for that, and not because I'm a hardcore fan of a german singer who wears dark sunglasses to hide a eye disease, who is 66 years old, who was popular back in the 60's, who bakes, who has a cafe, who is married to a princess, who I am flying to germany to bust my rear trying to find and get a autograph and a handshake...because Heino, is the BEST SINGER EVER!!!!

better than Rammstein, even tho they kick rear too!

Pro Member Captain

Great Links ArkyDave - Thanks.

FEM - Wie Gehts ? Du bist eine NUTTER !! Never heard of Heino and I've noticed Amazon aren't stocking his work!

That "Wide Area Augmentation Signal" sounds like the future of Navigation to me.... all that capability without needing any Beacons or VORs out there in the world... pretty amazing.. maybe something for Flight Simulator 2010 !!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Try ebay, for Heino at least.

elkinallen Guest

One way I do it when I have total comm radio failure and I am disoriented is to:

Fly directly to the closest navaid,, closest to the airport. Then go out bound in the opposite direction of the ils runway. I go out 10 miles. I then turn around so that I know I am flying toward the ils course at about a 45 degree angle. I fly at 2000 agl for this. This is a SURE way to hook up and intercept.

Have the ils nav radio set to ident so you don't track a dead needle.