Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Landing

bbbbbb Guest

How can i get auto land on flight simulator 2004

You can kinda get autoland. If you set in your NAV1 radio the ILs frequency and then you turn autopilot "APR" (approach) on, the aircraft will pretty much be guided to the ground. You need to control speed and some other aspects.

Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

bbbbbb wrote:

How can i get auto land on flight simulator 2004

You have to replace one of your existing panels with one that has auto-land or buy/download an aircraft that has auto-land. Smile

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2746/fs2004-autoland/

www.precisionmanuals.com

bbbbbb Guest

so what if i had a 737 where would i get a panal from??

bbbbbb Guest

i mean a b777

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

bbbbbb wrote:

I mean a B777

Auto-land gauge:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2746/fs2004-autoland/

Add it to the default Boeing 777 panel.
Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

I read somewhre that in order to use auto-land you need to cancel your IFR and descent to a certain altitude for the auto-land to take effect. Personally , I would never use auto-land. The whole flight is automated already, plus it's a god practice to do a manual landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

I read somewhere that in order to use auto-land you need to cancel your IFR and descent to a certain altitude for the auto-land to take effect. Personally , I would never use auto-land. The whole flight is automated already, plus it's a god practice to do a manual landing.

No, that's not true. The auto-land approach will be flown like any other ILS, at least in the real world. I've never used it in Flight Simulator. I agree with you that I don't see the point of it in FS. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

I agree with you that I don't see the point of it in FS.

Yes

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor First Officer

does the aircraft flare by itself??? Confused

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes. With auto land it will flare and touchdown on it's own. The aircraft uses a radar altimeter to determine height above touchdown to begin the flare. Smile

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor First Officer

do u have to change speeds???

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Taylor wrote:

do u have to change speeds???

The auto-land approach begins just like any other ILS approach, you will have to control speed and configure the flaps and gear at proper times. You'll have to set the Vref landing speed but the auto-throttles should maintain that during the approach. As the AP flares and lands, it will retard the thrust levers on it own(spooky). Shocked

Note: Only certain ILS runways can be use to auto-land. These are category III certified ILS systems(CAT III). You need a approach chart to determine ILS type. They must have DME capability. Only certain aircraft and specially trained crews are allowed to complete auto-land approaches and are required to complete a certain number to maintain certification. Most airline pilots don't do auto-land approaches and most of the time it's not needed(except in London, the fog). Smile

ILS Categories

CAT I DH no lower than 200 ft. or visibility below 1/2 mile or 2400 RVR (1800 RVR on some) Normal ILS approach.

CAT II DH no lower than 100 ft. or visibility below RVR of 1200 ft.

CAT IIIa No or DH lower than 100 ft. or visibility below RVR of 700 ft.
CAT IIIb No DH or DH less than 50 ft. RVR 700-150 ft.
CAT IIIc No DH no RVR

CAT II thru IIIc require special aircraft and crew qualification.
Most airline large jet aircraft are CAT II qualified.
Some airline aircraft are CAT III qualified

RVR- Runway Visual Range: The distance in ft or meters that a pilot should see high intensity runway lights. Given for a specific runway via sensors along certain runways. Normally given for 2 or 3 areas. Touchdown, Mid, Roll out. Some runways report only two.

DH - Decision Height: The altitude on ILS approach that the pilot must have some portion of the landing environment in sight in order to continue and land visually.