Version: 61.77
Release Date: July 27, 2004

Arrow

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77

Im d/loading now so can not comment, but will let you know after some testing

Hack

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Forget them buggers Tom, I use Omega drivers from www.omegacorner.com. There alot better than Nivida ones. Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Thumbs Up! Omega

I did have the V1.5672 drivers(I think they were the latest) untill last night,and I am now going to give the new Nvidia drivers a sound thrashing Whip with a spell on Farcry and then in fs9

Ill let you know

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Ok. Smile What sort of graphics card do you have as the 61.76's give me a bit of trouble with my FX5200. Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Smile Did have a fx5700 but now have a fx5900 golden sample Big Grin Its the dogs wotsits

Did you have a flickering screen during the loading screen? Umm... I thought it was only me

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

5900 you lucky bugger! Laughing Anyway, yeah the screen did flicker a little on loadup, also when I pressed ALT to bring up the menu bar, my computer would hang for a good 3 minutes. Wall Bashing Sods law really, every new driver I have tried from Nivida has had a major problem on my PC. The only one that worked well was the 53.04's.Punk

Not all doom and gloom though, i'm getting Windows XP next week because i'm sick to death of ME. Puke Up

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Very Happy XP is the best
It will take a little getting used to,you know things not where they should be.
But you can change the look of it back to ME if you want(I did )
Also kill all the fancy animations(a real hog)

Say goodbye to the BSD (blue screen of death)that ME was famous for

All in all XP is good...............................................................once you have updated it (sp1 and all the other updates)That should keep you busy for a while ROFL
But once you have all of that...........it is Thumbs Up! smooth sailing Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

As TTT said download SP1 but don't touch SP2 until it's been out for a few weeks.
XP has a built in firewall. activate it before you connect to the net, keep out those nasty little bugs.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Cheers Lads! Very Happy I should be getting it Monday so if I have any problems, look out for me.Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have XP over ME, it's very easy to install.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Oooh no, I am going to clean install it - want rid of it completely. One question though guys, I have a reasonably powerful computer and FS is sometimes a little choppy and can slow down to a crawl after flying for a while. Will installing XP fix this, i.e. will it run a little smoother? Even if it doesn't i'll buy it anyway because ME is running by the skin of it's teeth and i've lost the installation disc.Doh!

Thanks.Cheers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

XP is faster and it doesn't have memory leaks like ME had.
A clean full install is much better than what I did (they (Gateway) gave me the XP for $15 as an upgrade because it wasn't ready when I bought this machine).
It will however use more memory (128mb) than a 9x system but has fewer programs in the background.
After loading everything and getting the system up to date eliminate down some of the start up programs, all you need are 2 or 3.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Cheers fella.Bow Down Well I phoned my local PC shop (where I got my PC from) and they have XP in stock but it's the OEM version (79.99). This isn't a problem but they said to buy XP OEM I would have to buy a piece of hardware (something as simple as a mouse). Is this a safe option Radarman?Think

PS-I'll just put this here: Off Topic!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

From what I understand as long as you get the key # with it you can run updates. With an OEM version you won't get documentation, a box or a free hat (kidding about the hat). I've seen on the net that you have to buy at some "sellers" a piece of hardware, this I believe is the way they get around the agreement with MS not to sell the OEM version without it being installed on a machine.
They (MS) is starting to complain about all the OEM's being sold and may cut it off soon, who really knows but that's a good deal because all you need is a legal disk and registration number.
It practically installs itself, just follow the wizard.
If you want to test your PC for XP readiness go here and run the test listed on the left. It's a very safe reputable site.
http://www.pcpitstop.com

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here's the info if you buy it here, and you do get a hat Laughing .

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=37-102-141&depa=6

U.S. Only.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Thanks alot Radarman!! Cheers! I'll go take a peek at those.Poke in Eye