Installing the Demo

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

I finally got the demo files downloaded, but my computer doesn't have enough disk space for the program to run! I tried deleting some files, but the rest are files that I can't get rid of.

My question is, is it worth uninstalling FS9 to use the FSX demo? Or, would it be better to wait for the beta version of FSX to come out, which should be in the next week. (has anyone signed up to get the beta version? I did, but I haven't heard anything about it on FlyAway.)

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
BashDaBish Guest

Not a chance. There is no point in removing FS9 for the FSX demo. The demo is just a demo.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

No, don't uninstall FS9, it's not worth it. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

your most likely to get the game anyways, the demo isn't any good but i'm sure the actual game will be.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Definitely not a good idea to uninstall FS9 to try the demo. The demo is a subset of a pretty early build of FSX that is not ready for prime time.

I think MS made a mistake by releasing the demo. If they'd released a later more polished version, it would have made more sense.

The only reason I downloaded it was to see if it woukl run on my system at all.

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

Well I wouldnt know what to do id probly uninstall for a day or to and then re install and what for a better version of FSX to come out beacuse in the first editions there may be bugs.

Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

OK. SO I spend 1.5 hours on a cable broadband modem at 10 Mbps just downloading this demo. Finally get it set up (hint: disable your virus protection first), load it up and BOOM: Stutter city!

So I go to settings, reduce all things visual to Minimal, and still it stutters. Bummer. I thought the new visuals were what this whole FSX thing was supposed to let us enjoy. I mean, I am running an Intel Pentium 4 at 2.8 GHZ, 1-GHZ RAM, with an NVIDIA Ge-Force 5900 that has 128 MB on board. I cleaned up the disk, de-fragged and emptied the trash, opened up the cache to 2000MB and still it acts like I am on a 386 with MS-DOS. This machine isn't an Alienware MISTER GAMES liquid cooled dual core processor 'puter, but it ain't your Nana's email laptop either.

All I can say is: Vista better be better to run this program, or I'm not gonna bother. Either that or I call Alienware.

Whazzup with anybody else's experience here?

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Doh! Wall Bashing Don't even...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

First, if it took 1.5 hours to download, your 10 Mbps figure is a myth. It took me about 30 minutes to do the download. Installation was no problem. By the way, it will be a cold day in hell before I ever turn my antivirus off.

On a Dell Dimension 3000 with 2.8GHz P4 with 512 MB RAM (128 MB shared with on board Intel GFX chip), with sliders at minimum, I experienced no stuttering. When I advanced the sliders to maximum, ground textures began to blur.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

NEVER EVER turn off your AV,if you want the demo ,D/load from the M/S site ,you dont need to regester,so no spam.

I would not uninstall fs9 for the demo

the demo is ok,but thats all it is,as demo.Stick with what youve got,and wait for the full version

Pro Member Trainee

CrashGordon wrote:

First, if it took 1.5 hours to download, your 10 Mbps figure is a myth. It took me about 30 minutes to do the download. Installation was no problem.

OK. I get it. But my little icon says 10 Mbps with Road Runner, so I dunno. In any case, Sumpin's not right here, because I get the same stutter in the lowest vis-rate settings of CFS3, which is why I stay with CFS2. Don't have the same stutter in FS9, so I cannot suss this out. Your sage advice would be most appreciated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

greystone wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

First, if it took 1.5 hours to download, your 10 Mbps figure is a myth. It took me about 30 minutes to do the download. Installation was no problem.

OK. I get it. But my little icon says 10 Mbps with Road Runner, so I dunno. In any case, Sumpin's not right here, because I get the same stutter in the lowest vis-rate settings of CFS3, which is why I stay with CFS2. Don't have the same stutter in FS9, so I cannot suss this out. Your sage advice would be most appreciated.

How much free space do you have on your hard drive.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

as much as i know Demo takes about 600MB of disk space

Pro Member Trainee

I've got another 50 GB after the demo load.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee

RadarMan,

Thanks for the tip. That's a very handy little program to disable a bunch of memory hogs prior to starting up FSX. I used it but still got a bunch of stutters-- most especially when I hit the hat switch for different views.

I just ordered another 1GB of RAM for my box. Also bought a NVIDEA GeForce 7600 with 512 MB. We'll see if this helps. In any case, FS9 should be a screamer with this upgrade. 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The better card will be a help. Keep a cap on your FPS at more than 27 and less than 40.
That way the resources that you have won't be used on a high potential not needed frame rate.

Radar

can someone please walk me through the installation of the demo? it looks like i have to convert the files, or extract them. idk

im a noob with computers 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

can someone please walk me through the installation of the demo? it looks like i have to convert the files, or extract them. idk

im a noob with computers 😞

Just double click it and follow the on-screen instructions, nothing to it.
If you have a problem come back and let us know what it is.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...