Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Stalling at High Altitude

lucifer Guest

I am using FS2004 and am having trouble after reaching 15000 ft.
The plane pitches vertically, loses power and stalls. This happens with original default aircraft as well as addons. The simulator worked great when new, I have reinstalled but am still getting the problem with
jet airliners. I'm a novice, can anybody assist me.

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

That is odd, you should be able to fly most anything at that altitude. Are you sure you have the throttle and mixture right? Gear, flaps, air brakes, and tray tables in their upright and locked positions? Just kidding about the tray tables Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

8OAt what rate are you climbing?and in what aircraft(each aircraft has it own best climb rate )

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Unless you are flying a turbo-charged piston engine craft most piston aircraft will start to poop out around 15000'. The Cessna's 172, 182 service ceiling is under 15000'. If you are flying a jet you are doing something wrong.

lucifer Guest

I am flying jet aircraft, particularly Learjet, Airbus A300 and Boeing 737,
I have adjusted rates of climb from 200ft to 3000ft and still get stalling
after reaching over 10000ft. Have tried with autopilot on and off and still
get the problem. Please, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Shocked Ok You need to have your flaps set to 8 (1st notch)and 10-15 deg pitch nose up,then apply full power and rotate at about 130kias
Once you have positive climb get the landing gear up and the set flaps to up at about 200/210kias then climb at 2000 fpm at 250kias

Here is a page of check lists for a few planes,have a look Arrow

http://www.faatest.com/downloads/simchecklists/simchecklists.html

Once you are above 10000 increase speed and lower you climb rate to 1800fpm

That should work,please let us kow

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

If you are stalling at 10000' in a jet witha climb rate of 200-300fpm, there is something definately wrong somewhere. On all the airliners I fly I have no trouble at all climbing out through 10000'. The standard climb profile I use is 250kts indicated, flaps up, and generally am climbing at 3000-3500 fpm depending on weight. Most all airliners use the 250kts profile for climb-out under 10000' due to FAA speed limit----250ktias under 10000'. Once over 10000' they usually nose over a little and set-up for a 280-290 kts profile, this puts them further forward on the power-drag curve.----- more efficient. If you follow that profile and the plane still stalls, then you have serious problems with your program.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

P.S. Pardon me. It should read 15000' Oops!

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

One question? What does your airspeed indicater read when you're climbing out?

Lucifer Guest

Thanks guys for your thoughts, I've tried your suggestions and I can
get above 10000ft by nursing the climb rate at approx. 400ft. I can't get the airspeed over 230k even on autopilot so I'll think you'll agree there is still a problem, particularly when the tower wants you to speed up your climb rate.

I shall persevere and possibly try reinstalling again and cleaning out
existing addons. Thanks again.

Lucifer Guest

I have now done a complete cleanout of addons and reinstalled FS9.
It is now working great and I think the main problem was I had
installed too many addons and had made the controls sluggish.
That's my guess anyway so from now on I will be more liberal with
installing addons.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Very Happy Glad you are now flying ok

It was probably just one of your add on's that was causing the upset(a 2002 import??)

Cheers!

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I thought it sounded like a program glitch. Happy flying. Let me know if you need more help.