Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

civil jet decent help

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

im having trouble decending from a cruise, im not really sure when to start and and fast or slow i should be decending.....when i fly VFR this is a big problem but when i fly ifr atc gives me heading and altitudes......how can i decent and land successfully without atc ifr.....can the auto pilot decend for me???

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

To estimate about how far you should descend, use the following method...

Take the first two numbers of your FL, eg. lets say your at 30,000ft...you'll use the number 30...Now, multiply 30 by 3, and you'll get 90, which is approximately the distance at which you should begin your descent..You might want to add a few miles on to that for safety's sake. Your descent rate depends on the type of aircraft, and its speed, but for the most part, try to stay in between 1800 and 1500 fpm...Try not to exceed 2200fpm...Good Luck 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Crooscheck that's very useful info. you posted over ther. I was always wondering how ATC knows when to ell you to start the descent. Thanks,man! 👏 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Thanks 😀

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

Crooscheck that's very useful info. you posted over ther. I was always wondering how ATC knows when to ell you to start the descent. Thanks,man! 👏 🍻

Your very welcome 😉

Jon, thanks for the link 😎