NDB's

Jamie4590 Guest

Why dont all large airports have NDB's?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I can't really see why they are needed at every major airport. Aircraft flying to major airports usually have more sophisticated methods of navigation using FMC / INS systems so there isn't a great need for them.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Most NDBs have been replaced by WORs and Vortacs, it's not used that much anymore.

Don Wood Guest

NDB's were not usually associated with airports, even when they were very common. They were and are primarily used for enroute navigation and, if one happened to be close enough to an airport, it could be and was sometimes used as an approach fix.

The posters who said NDB's are becoming rarer were correct for the developed parts of the world. They are no longer needed much because they have been replacd by more sophiticated and precise navaids. However, they are still in quite common usage in under-developed parts of the world because they are cheap to purchase and operate and the in-aircraft equipment is much cheaper than other types of nav devices. They also do not need nearly the level of knowledge and training to operate which can be a benefit in such areas.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Try navigating in Russia for fun. Even on VATSIM you get NDB approaches all the time and your altitudes in meters. Awesome!

Jamie4590 Guest

I find them useful when I'm vectoring an airport as it helps with orientation of the runway. When an NDB is absent whats the best method?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

I find them useful when I'm vectoring an airport as it helps with orientation of the runway. When an NDB is absent whats the best method?

The closest VOR would be helpful 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

GPS is the best choice for orientation or SA. 🙂

I like the challenge of using the ADF, GPS gets boring. NDB's are disappearing because of newer technologies but they are cheap and still in use in many countries.
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ndb-nav-adf-1.htm

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Sadly in the UK the NDB approach is an integral part or the IR. NDB hold and NDB procedural approach are part of the test....great fun!

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Not just in the UK Wink

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...