SearchSearch 

So called "Next Generation" Graphics...

Do you people really believe we are going to get much different in game graphics in Vista compared to XP?

No. Rubbish.

It is just a marketing ploy to give you another reason to get Vista the minute it hits the shelves...

DX10 will make a difference yes, but that will also be available for XP...

19 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Do you people really believe we are going to get much different in game graphics in Vista compared to XP?

No. Rubbish.

It is just a marketing ploy to give you another reason to get Vista the minute it hits the shelves...

Microsoft has said that DX10 will not be made available for XP

DX10 is backwards compatable with DX9,(for older games)but XP cant (or M/S will not let it)run DX10

Pro Member Trainee
UG_PL Trainee

yeah thats ,right if you want to spend your money on vista ,than go ahead. I will stay with XP .If you are not paning to buy DirectX 10 video card ,than there is no need....

karol

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

No. Rubbish.

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

“Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and its sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the end and make it all worthwhile. None should blame you for walking out early.”

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

“Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and its sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the end and make it all worthwhile. None should blame you for walking out early.”

You get an "A" for effort. I have to remember that one.

Sorry if I spoiled your fun.

😂 I am not the person who started this thread. But yes I have always found that quote useful.

Pro Member Chief Captain

And it is so confusing with so many people named, "Guest". 😂

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

My answer to the original poster, is you take your own pick. For me Vista is a vast improvement, as I have been running it for some time now in it's Beta 2 format. Only prob at present is the lack of support from most software houses. AVs and FWs are very thin on the ground. And sadly the graphics drivers are also in Beta form at present. Not MS's fault.

I feel sure that when Vista is finally finished and released, it will have been worth the wait. But as always some people like running vintage cars, and drinking vintage wine. But I find it hard to put Win 98 in either category.

Linux! Linux is the only answer to all the silly MS problems.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Linux and X-Plane. But not FSX Nope

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

what would happen if I get Vista, but my GFX card is only DX9 Compatible?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

That makes Windows the only answer to all the silly Linux problems.

I ran 20 Linux based servers for 6 years and a bunch of desktop machines using both KDE and Gnome. I can tell you from experience that Linux has just as many problems as Windows...just fewer people to complain about them. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I've run and tested a few flavours of Linux, for me it's the most unfriendly user interface ever. Think even the Sinclair was better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

what would happen if I get Vista, but my GFX card is only DX9 Compatible?

It'll run fine but you won't get the extra's that DirectX 10 has for FSX.

Radar

CrashGordon wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

That makes Windows the only answer to all the silly Linux problems.

I ran 20 Linux based servers for 6 years and a bunch of desktop machines using both KDE and Gnome. I can tell you from experience that Linux has just as many problems as Windows...just fewer people to complain about them. 😉

HA! The reason why people don't complain is because it is open source. People fix anything they come across and share it. It's how the Linux community works. It also depends if you are using a good distro or a back yard experiment. So far I feel that Fedora and Ubuntu are the best distros. Wink

I will admit that I prefer Gnome to KDE. But I don't mind operating in KDE.

As far as FS under Linux. www.transgaming.com problem solved there.

In regards to non-user friendly interface, I disagree as with windows you have to find all the annoying niches. You can handle everything from the terminal or konsole anyway.

Why would you pay rediculous prices for MS crap? I mean hell. Most people will need to purchase a new computer just to run vista.

I would be the original guest to start this.

So is there any DX10 cards available, do the manufacturers not have access to a beta version or something from Microsoft?

And what sort of things is it going to give us exactly? It seems very hyped up and I am yet to hear why it is so great....

Are the screenshots Microsoft have given us for FSX DX9 or 10?

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

So is there any DX10 cards available, do the manufacturers not have access to a beta version or something from Microsoft?

And what sort of things is it going to give us exactly? It seems very hyped up and I am yet to hear why it is so great....

Well my cards maker claims they are compatible!

What will it give us? Well I'm not a software techno, but while using it. It feels better, smoother, and visuals are much improved. Displays/layouts have been updated, whether you like them, that is up to each individual.

As to which DX has been used for the demos, I don't know!

If you are interested, why not get the Beta Free Version, and try it, it runs in dual boot mode, if wanted. Can then form you own opinion.

As I've said before, it's mostly down to our own personal likes and dislikes. So far, I like what I have seen and experienced. And I am certainly looking forward to the finished product, but for me, the query is, at what price?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I would be the original guest to start this.

Are DX 10 cards now available, no, not yet.

Have the manufacturers been given the tools to build their hardware to optimize it, yes.
What will it do for us.
Read here, http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/24636,directx-10-more-harm-than-good-for-graphics.aspx

Screenshots DX 9 or 10, don't know but my guess is 9, since the 10 cards aren't out yet.

Radar

Thanks for that.

Interesting read as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series

"Anandtech reports that the next generation of GPUs will range in power consumption from 130W to 300W. This increase in power consumption will make for higher-wattage Power Supply Units (in the 800 to 1100 Watt range) and/or the addition of internal, secondary PSUs solely for powering the GPUs." 😳

"The G80 is expected to be released anywhere from October to November of 2006.
It will be the first Direct3D 10 and Shader Model 4.0 card to be released.
The G80 will be a 32 pipeline card with 32 pixel shaders, 16 vertex shaders, and 16 geometry shaders per core. The vertex shader pool and geometry shader pool may be unified."