SearchSearch 

Video Card Question

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

I am my PC ready for FSX such as increasing RAM. I am looking to up my current PC card to the Radeon X1800 512 RAM.

Is there any body our there that has this current card or have any experience with this card? I have been reading plenty of comments on this card and they all said it does get VERY hot and will need a cooling fan to maintain temps.

Jetman

7 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you can hang on a while for the DX10 enabled GFX cards to start shipping then you will be future proofing your PC

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Well my plan is to get a nice video card for fsx and I am also going to upgrade to Vista too. Will the Radeon X1600 work in Vista? I am a little confused on DX9 and DX10. Vista will have DX10?

Hold on for GFX cards? Are they going to be more expensive? When are they going to be avaliable?

Jetman

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Is there going to be a new generation of video cards that work with DX10? Will current cards work with DX10? Should I wait to buy a new video card?

Jetman

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Current cards will work with DX 10 but not use it.
You have to buy a new card that will use DX 10 to get the full value, they are not out yet.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Thanks Radarman for the info. Do you know when the new cards will be out? When is Vista suppost to be release? What is a GFX card?

Are you getting a new PC now?

Jetman

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Current cards will work with DX 10 but not use it.
You have to buy a new card that will use DX 10 to get the full value, they are not out yet.

Radar

👍

Spot on

But with DX10 being so new to the GFXcard makers,will it all run smooth for those early adopters Dont Know

DX10 runs the GFX almost entirely via the GFX card,where as DX9 and all below use both the GFX card and the CPU

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

jetman35 wrote:

Thanks Radarman for the info. Do you know when the new cards will be out? When is Vista suppost to be release? What is a GFX card?

Are you getting a new PC now?

Jetman

There isn't much point in releasing the cards now so the price will go down by the time Vista comes out (late January (27?) ).

GFX is short for Graphics and yes I will have an entirely new Core2 SLI computer. Probably 4 gig of ram.

Radar