Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

FS-2004 : HELP !!

Pro Member Trainee
rafferty5268 Trainee

Using Airbus 340, my default opens with a forward view that doesn't inlude the instrument panel (i.e. just full screen scenery). Have tried every which way on ALT, Cntrl, Shift etc etc to revert this "total" view back to a normal "cockpit" view and have failed abysmally. I know it's simple when you know how but .....

Someone kind enough to tell me how to do this please?

Jamie4590 Guest

Try pressing the i key. For me this key toggles the instrument panel on/off.

Pro Member Chief Captain
99jolegg Chief Captain

If you press 'W' and a panel doesn't appear, then ou don't have a panel installed for the aircraft.

They're simple to install. Download this one:

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=ftp&DLID=68849

Follow the readme and then start up FS9 and see if you aircraft then has a panel.

Wink

Click below to support FSF:

Pro Member Captain
Thunderbirdman2 Captain

also i is for the smoke not what the other guy said

TECH ALEC!
VISIT US DAILY FOR VIDEOS PICTURES FORUMS BLOGS!!!!!
CONTEST WITH PRIZES COMING SOON!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Shift+1 to toggle panel on/off

Jamie4590 Guest

I'm running FS2002 so my default controls are probably different. I think rafferty5268 has removed the instrument panel from the cockpit view and can't get it back even by reselecting the cockpit view. There is a key somewhere that will bring it back up. Either press each key methodically or scroll through the key assignments to locate it.

Pro Member Trainee
rafferty5268 Trainee

Folks - thank you to you all but as a cruel fate would have it, none of the suggested fixes revert me to a normal "forward" view with the cockpit view in front of me. Neither W nor I nor their variants with Cntrl or Shift re-establish a normal view of cockpit plus sky. Total sky obstinately remains! Have now tried every combination of keyboard inputs I can think of and still gets nowhere. Thank you, too, for the suggestion of d/loading a panel to install but there's already one installed! Pressing W simply brings up the T-panel instruments at the bottom of the screen and toggles them there or not there.
This is baffling - anyone with any further thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thank you !!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

rafferty5268 wrote:

Folks - thank you to you all but as a cruel fate would have it, none of the suggested fixes revert me to a normal "forward" view with the cockpit view in front of me. Neither W nor I nor their variants with Cntrl or Shift re-establish a normal view of cockpit plus sky. Total sky obstinately remains! Have now tried every combination of keyboard inputs I can think of and still gets nowhere. Thank you, too, for the suggestion of d/loading a panel to install but there's already one installed! Pressing W simply brings up the T-panel instruments at the bottom of the screen and toggles them there or not there.
This is baffling - anyone with any further thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thank you !!

I'm convinced Jolegg farther up had the right idea.

You say that

Thank you, too, for the suggestion of d/loading a panel to install but there's already one installed!

...would you care telling us which panel it is and where you got it from?

You mightn't be aware that just because there is a 'panel folder' inside the 'aircraft folder' doesn't necessarely mean you have a panel.
Often the 'panel folder' only contains a text document that aliases to another panel.
Now if you don't have that panel -- you won't see it.

Unless I've missed it, you haven't yet informed us whether that particular panel has worked before in that particular aircraft.

Just make sure you you have a peek inside the 'panel folder' and let us know what's inside. I'm sure the issue can be easily solved.

Pro Member Trainee
rafferty5268 Trainee

Dear Tailhook andf Jolegg
You've made me a happy bunny - many thanks! Installed the panel you suggested to be d/loaded and lo and behold the problem is immediately solved.
However - the bizarre thing - this commercial add-on came with all its bells and whistles attached and I was happily flying it until this glitch manifested itself. Which means, mysteriously, that the original "panel" folder must have simply disappeared for some reason! No computer crash, no re-installation of anything, no deleting anything. As I say - bizarre!
However, thank you again to you great clued-up guys ... and I've learnt something new!

Best wishes and stength to your drinking arm.

Pro Member Chief Captain
99jolegg Chief Captain

Glad you got it working Thumbs Up!

Click below to support FSF:

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Yeah Exclamation Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

rafferty5268 wrote:

...the original "panel" folder must have simply disappeared for some reason! No computer crash, no re-installation of anything, no deleting anything...

I'll mention this in case you're not aware of it and hopefully help you to avoid some of the problems that are bound to loom on the horizon.

Though you haven't re-installed anything as you mentioned, you might have installed a freeware add-on using the self-installer that came with it.

Those self-installers are a motley bunch. Some (and I mean some as in minority) work flawlessly... the rest of them are one big headache.
Let's keep in mind that those self-installers are written by mere mortals like you and I.
If the add-on is a freeware aircraft including panel, gauges and everything else for example, the self-installer will just overwrite files such as gauges, effects and sometimes .cfg files willy nilly because it isn't intelligent enough to distinguish between the old and the new.
Unawares you'll end up with older files and you'll only notice it when your trying to load or fly a particular aircraft. The more time has elapsed since you've used that self-installer and your noticing of strange behaviour, the harder it is to troubleshoot.

The above pertains mainly to self-installers of Freeware, though the intelligence of Payware installers is limited too.
Basically, files contained in folders that payware add-ons have to share with the default fs9 directories are in danger - modules in particular.

Let's say you're starting from scratch, you're re-installing fs9 and all your payware add-ons. You've just re-installed a beautiful package that was published only a few months ago and now you're re-installing another beauty which you've enjoyed for the last three years. Any modules with the same name will be overwritten and you're in trouble again.

Glad you've got it working now, enjoy your new panel and thanks to your blessing we can stop doing those silly one-armed pushups now Cheers!

Pro Member Trainee
rafferty5268 Trainee

Dear Tailhook

Thanks for the addendum - that's very interesting and I'd not have thought of it. Another notch on the learning curve! The rum thing is that all other a/c models continued to behave peerlessly - was only this A340-600 which went pear-shaped.

Best wishes

rafferty5268