Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Setting thrust levels accurately

cumpaniciu_one Guest

I find it really hard to use the "wheel" on my joystick to set thrust levels to an exact value (with +/- 2%) when flying jets. The N1 pressure is slow to move and never seems to settle at the value I intented.

Are there any, more accurate ways, of setting this? Maybe something like keyboard for +/-10% +/-5% +/-1%?

How are you guys doing this?

Thanks!

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

don't really know.. I've never used the throttle that way. if I need any exact values I just let the FMC do it for me (Autothrottle). besides that, when flying manually, I just use the throttle as I feel it is needed.. everything by feel.

maybe someone else can help you 😎

SeanGa wrote:

everything by feel.

That won't get me very far with the FS checkrides 😀

What is FMC?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Anonymous wrote:

SeanGa wrote:

everything by feel.

What is FMC?

well, when you get used to doing it by feel it works fine. besides, you always know which speed you want, so when you're used to using the throttle you will "hit" your speeds easily when moving the throttle wheel or whatever.

an FMC is a Flight Management Computer.

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Management_Computer

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

SeanGa wrote:

everything by feel.

What is FMC?

Don't look to hard, you won't find a FMC in the default FS aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Don't look to hard, you won't find a FMC in the default FS aircraft

that's one of the things I don't like about FS9. 😕

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

cumpaniciu_one wrote:

I find it really hard to use the "wheel" on my joystick to set thrust levels to an exact value (with +/- 2%) when flying jets. The N1 pressure is slow to move and never seems to settle at the value I intented.

Are there any, more accurate ways, of setting this? Maybe something like keyboard for +/-10% +/-5% +/-1%?

Thanks!

I understand exactly what you mean, and have had that problem ever since I started simming. What I've decided to do, is instead of using the wheel on the joystick, disable it, and use the F1-F4 buttons for thrust. Press them incremently, and eventually, you'll reach within one or two percent of your goal. The wheel however, is very sensitive, and slight adjustments can mean drastic changes to your N1. For example, on take off roll, if it says advance to 40%, it would be very hard to estimate 40% on the wheel, however if you press the F1-F4 buttons incremently, you will soon get the hang of it, and it will be a piece of cake 😉

crosscheck9 wrote:

cumpaniciu_one wrote:

Thanks!

I understand exactly what you mean, and have had that problem ever since I started simming. What I've decided to do, is instead of using the wheel on the joystick, disable it, and use the F1-F4 buttons for thrust. Press them incremently, and eventually, you'll reach within one or two percent of your goal. The wheel however, is very sensitive, and slight adjustments can mean drastic changes to your N1. For example, on take off roll, if it says advance to 40%, it would be very hard to estimate 40% on the wheel, however if you press the F1-F4 buttons incremently, you will soon get the hang of it, and it will be a piece of cake 😉

Tried that, but unfortunately there is no key that would increase, say, 5%. If I press quickly, it does nothing. If I keep too much it goes through the roof. Tough luck 🙂

I looked up the FS SDK and there actually are very precise throttle control commands. Now if I only had the time to implement this 🙂