Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Flyaway

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Flyaway, wherever you are, I'm guessing you've seen our posts -- Thanks for starting to make changes 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

🙂) 👍 ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

WHat changes?

Jamie4590 Guest

I agree. I haven't seen any stupid posts for ages (mine excepted) ROFL

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Insight wrote:

WHat changes?

Several guests have confirmed there is now an extra procedure they must complete before being allowed to post. I don't know how effective it is, but it means something is being changed. Thats all I'm looking for at this time -- response, whether verbal or through his actions, he's starting to respond

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

WHat changes?

I believe that anonymous posters have to enter a code before their post is accepted. Spammers will adapt to that minor inconvenience.

But most importantly, the number of posts for promotions was changed. If you had 91 posts fewer, you'd have been demoted. 😳

Wonderful how things of no worth at all, get done, but a spam filter is still not in place.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Insight wrote:

WHat changes?

I believe that anonymous posters have to enter a code before their post is accepted. Spammers will adapt to that minor inconvenience.

But most importantly, the number of posts for promotions was changed. If you had 91 posts fewer, you'd have been demoted. 😳

Wonderful how things of no worth at all, get done, but a spam filter is still not in place.

So far today neither TTT or I have had one piece of spam, I like that.
Lets see how this new "mod" he used works.
Even the most guarded sites have spam, believe me.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Time will tell. I suspect the spammers will adapt.

Jamie4590 Guest

CrashGordon wrote:

Do you mean like the Borg?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

Do you mean like the Borg?

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. 😂 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

These mods. are window dressing meant to pacify the gullible. Leave open the door for anonymous posters and you leave open the door for spammers.

It's the same door -- why is this so difficult to grasp?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

These mods. are window dressing meant to pacify the gullible. Leave open the door for anonymous posters and you leave open the door for spammers.

It isn't hard to grasp, at all and I totally agree. Still, it isn't my site and I will give the new requirement of anonymous posters being required enter a code in order to post, a chance. If it doesn't work, my complaints will be louder than ever.

If governments haven't learned that you prevent terrorism by denying terrorists access to their targets, it isn't surprising that flyaway still doesn't realize that you prevent spam buy denying spammers access to the forums.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Probably the same reason its difficult to grasp that Flyaway is a business. Businesses make profit. Getting rid of Guest posting means there is one tier membership where charging any member, would decrease the flow of posts here. I know people have suggested that you can have 2 tier membership, free for the forums and then pay for the downloads, but come on, the download area is ever so slightly substandard so who'd pay?

In the end, you either decrease the profits this site makes, or you stifle the flourishing forums.

Why is that so difficult to grasp?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Day 1 and, we(radar and me) have not seen one spam post. 👍
Some say they(the spammers ) will adapt,what?So they can spam this one forum!
Time will tell,but for now lets enjoy the forums and get back to enjoying ourselfs Group Wave

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Probably the same reason its difficult to grasp that Flyaway is a business. Businesses make profit. Getting rid of Guest posting means there is one tier membership where charging any member, would decrease the flow of posts here. I know people have suggested that you can have 2 tier membership, free for the forums and then pay for the downloads, but come on, the download area is ever so slightly substandard so who'd pay?

In the end, you either decrease the profits this site makes, or you stifle the flourishing forums.

Why is that so difficult to grasp?

I'm not sure I understand the meaning of your post Jon. A 2 tier membership, if feasable, should work the other way around. Downloads for free, as it should be to begin with. This would ensure that the files available are up to standard because the authors would be happy to have their work uploaded in the first place.

Wanna join the forums? REGISTER!! Free of charge or for 5 Bucks, that's for the bussiness minded administrator(s) to decide.
Am I really the only one who decided to pay for membership because of the forums here, the ability to search within the archives and the ability to tackle more technical issues or to seek one on one help and be able to give one on one advice in return via PM?

I'm very surprised to find that apparently I'm the only one who did NOT take out membership for the purpose of having access to the file library.

I'd like to remind us that not allowing anonymous guests to post does NOT prevent them from browsing and benefiting. This is NOT a revolutionary, new idea, on the contrary.
I do not see how a civilized approach to the way posting is managed would stifle the flourish of these forums. If we're honest, we must admit that during times of very busy traffic, the posts lose their quality. Answers become garbled and so do the questions resulting in a rapid to and fro and nobody in the end knowing what the thread or topic is all about.

To think that the sheer quantity of posts ensures a friendly atmosphere is erroneous. Quality loses out and we end up with post races and endeavours to chase promotion to higher ranks.

I know, I know... what about the permanent guests who have contributed so much and whom we would not like to lose?
Well, we all know who they are. Considering to offer free membership or any other way around the "problem" is not for me to decide. We know that those guests are adult in mind and young at heart and I'm sure that they would take out membership if it was required. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The main simplistic point that I wanted to emphasise was the following:

If you do charge for the forums and not the download sections then yes, you are diminishing the profits. Very few people are like you in that they didn't join for the download section. New flight sim enthusiasts go to Google, type in Flight Sim 2004 downloads and come to this site which is why they join, not knowing that the download section is poor to say the least.

As has been said before by other members, guests (on the whole) provide new challenges and interesting topics which (in my opinion) prevent some forums from becoming distinctly stagnant. You've helped many a guest yourself as they drop by with a quick question not wanting to register. That, is what I meant by stifling flourishing forums; maybe I didn't make myself clear.

Jon

Pro Member Chief Captain

At this point, I'd suggest that we all take a deep breath, and see if the new anonymous posting scheme works. I suspect it won't in the long run, but I'm curious.

Obviously, I agree that anonymous posting is a bad idea and that a 2-tier registration system would be better. I don't let people I don't know into my home. I defend my email inbox with a ferocity you wouldn't believe. So, letting people into a forum without some registration process is not one I would ever support.

That said, it is flyaway's site not mine. If he chooses the path of least resistance rather than using security best practices and wants to convince himself that changing the number of posts needed for the various forum ranks is something worthwhile, it's his right. If making stupid choices was illegal, we'd all be in prison.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

So far the new coding rule seems to be working. No more spam, at least for now. I sure hope it stays that way. Limitting the guests to only one or two forums that they can post on would not work obviously, but in the other hand I don't think that the spamers if I can call those spam posting worms will try so hard to override the system and post spam again. There are millions of other sites that can be used for such a waste of space.