Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

approach help

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Does anybody know how the approach button works? At what point do you click it ON when you making your approach to the airport.

Any good working B29 or SR-71's out there?

Jetman

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 You can only use the approach button on a ILS approach
Wait untill you have the hight indicator showing as a mageta triangle on the righthand side of the display
(otherwise the autopilot will dissengauge the hight and you will desend too quickly)

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Try hand flying the approach. It really hones your piloting skills. That's how I do it.

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Am I doing something wrong?

I was coming in to Phx last night in my 737 and had the autopilot on including the height, approach and direction indicator ON. ATC told me intercept the local something and nothing happened. Is the direction and height button suppost to deactivate?

Jetman

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

jetman35 wrote:

Am I doing something wrong?

I was coming in to Phx last night in my 737 and had the autopilot on including the height, approach and direction indicator ON. ATC told me intercept the local something and nothing happened. Is the direction and height button suppost to deactivate?

Jetman

Okay - you have AP on, with Heading and Altitude selected. ATC has given you a heading and altitude, and told you to maintain that altitude until established on the glideslope.

You have to have tuned the appropriate ILS frequency into NAV1, and have your NAV/GPS switch set to NAV. You should see the ILS needles indicating that you are right or left of the localizer and either below glideslope or above it and descending. Whenever you are below glideslope it's okay to activate the APP button. Not before.

If you've done all this, then the AP will turn you to align with the localizer when you get there (be patient), and descend you along the glideslope when you reach it. You'll have to adjust your airspeed, set flaps and landing gear for proper landing configuration. Cool? You bet.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi Jetman35,

Check out some of the earlier posts that I raised on ILS in general, it's not easy at first as there are a lot of factors you have to get right...

My questions would be - are you getting the ILS Frequency for the RUnway that you want to land at ? (You get it by double clicking on the MAP, that you can get up on the screen)...

Then you need to dial this Frequency into the NAV1 radio and switch that Radio on.... then if you've been using GPS to get to the Airport's approach, you need to get straight with the runway and descend so that you will enter the glideslope, preferable from below, (around 2,600 is ok for most Jets), lastly you need to switch the NAV/GPS button to NAV, and hit teh magic APPROACH button... then A/P will get you straight over the runway and start managing the Glideslope for you, just keep the IAS speed at the right approach speed (ie... around 150-155 kts for the 737), get your flaps right, then when you are 60 feet from the runway quickly press Z key to de-activate the Autopilot, and if you are flying a plane with Autothrottle, quickly press SHIFT+R to deactivate the autothrottle..

You can then glide down, flaring the nose and get ready to hit F2 for your reverse thrust....

It's not easy doing all of this in a short time but that's the challenge in it!

Good luck mate!