FS2004 Crashing mid game

Pro Member Trainee
starman316 Trainee

Hi Guys, Really would appreciate your help on this one
everytime I play flight sim 2004 the frame rate slows down midflight and generally playing up and have experienced where the game just locks the pc and sound looping making me restart pc. its been driving me mad for months, i have updated all the drivers, disabling unneccesary services including all antivirus scans and programs, I just have basic services running, deleted all the temp files, disk defrag, increased pagefile etc etc, Madness everything i could think of, seriously wanna chuck this pc in the bin

My old intel p4 was much better before it died, looking at a new 3.06ghz pc (intel) at the moment but dont wanna buy it perposly for fs2004 lol. any help appreciated guys and many thanks in advance

Cheers from Lee. Specs below

PC Specs
AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8ghz
Asus K8V-MX Mobo
768mb pc3200 ddr400 Ram (Team)
Nvidia Geforce 6200 256mb
Cmedia Pci sound
Win XP Pro, Avast Antivirus and Adaware Pro Spyware Remover

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Could be a lot of reasons but if i was you i would start with a cleaning of CPU's and VGA's Fan & Heatsink just to prevent a possibility of overheating.
I would also try to lower my display settings or decrease the screen resolution and check what will happens.
Next step would be a Re-installation of FS.

And a stupid question...Do you know your Power Supply's Specs...I mean Watts?A small in Watts PS could cause a load of problems...

Thanks for the detailed report of your problem.Let us know how it goes... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well, I would say it is not the Motherboard, as that is quite a nice board. But maybe you could do with some more memory, 768Mb is pretty marginal for fs9. My stand by computer is almost the same as yours, but 2Mb of Mem, and an Athlon XP 64 754. And that runs fs9 without any bad stops or hiccups, but fps is a bit low.

If your using the built in sound, that should not cause any problems.

Of course the settings can make a vast difference to the way fs9 runs, but I assume you have tried lowering them all.

I expect you will get more suggestions from forum members, probably better than mine. But I hope I've started the ball rolling for you.

Good thinking there, Greekman. Yup! I've had a similar experience some time ago, and it was the Power Supply. You need a well known good brand, with enough power to give you ample safe margin. With your computer I would say a minimum of 450 Watts.

spuddi Guest

how many minutes into the flight does it happen?
is it the same each time?
have you installed the 9.1 update?
does it happen in the default aircraft?
does it happen if the flights are in different parts of the world?
did it used to work without crashing?
have you loaded any addons? aircaft/scenery?
if you turn the scenery settings down does it still happen?

meylan Guest

Hi , i had a similar problem not long back where fs9 would crash 30 minutes in with an infinite sound loop .

my solution was to decrease AGP speed in the bios .
It was at x8 but when i decreased it to x4 the problem went away .
you might also have the option to decrease the AGP speed in your graphics card smartgart option if nvidia have that option. If you have the option in your graphics card setting decrease it to x4 in there aswell as the bios.

hope this helps

Jamie4590 Guest

Make sure your FS package is installed on your C drive. This can help.

Also do a thorough scan disk and defrag and as already advised check your fans. A few weeks ago England experienced some very very hot weather and during this period all my programs would be erratic. Lock ups, lagging that kind of thing. I had bought several fans so trained one of them on to the base unit and it seemed to help. That summer weather is long gone now though. Until next year!

Pro Member Trainee
starman316 Trainee

Hi Guys Many Thanks For The Responses, firstly their is not an option in the bios to turn down the AGP to 4X The only options are

AGP fast write on/off
AGP 3 Calibration on/off
Vlink 8X on/off

I have turned off the Vlink 8X and still no difference, I played the game many times today and seems when i get into the game it gets slower and slower and then it freezes and locks the pc, it is doing my head in guys on the verge of binning this AMD Piece Of **** lol ive had 3 AGP cards and all performed same, freezing and locking pc, I took out the 256mb ddr400 memory to see if that was it as mixing a 512mb and 256mb doesnt always go and it still crashed, power supply is a 450watt and i have downloaded asus probe tool and all reports voltages fine, absolute madness guys its definatly the AGP nvidia 6200, like i said frame rates drop dramatically druing game to a point where it freezes pc. all i have running in background is basic windows loading files, all startup options disabled, i have even installed a fan on the agp card as it did not come with one (how very odd in my opinion) because before it had one it got very hot!

BTW what is Hyperthreading?? in Bios its set at default 800MHZ 16 BIT up and down.

should i enable ECC stuff for my memory (team) ddr400

cheers guys for the great responses 🙂

think i will go out and buy that 3.06ghz intel p4 next week lol

Pro Member Trainee
starman316 Trainee

spuddi wrote:

how many minutes into the flight does it happen?
is it the same each time?
have you installed the 9.1 update?
does it happen in the default aircraft?
does it happen if the flights are in different parts of the world?
did it used to work without crashing?
have you loaded any addons? aircaft/scenery?
if you turn the scenery settings down does it still happen?

no it varies in flight the freezing
yes installed update
changed aircraft does the same
no difference where flying
its never worked properly on this system
no add ons only aircraft ive downloaded and realtime weather
yes tried lowering graphic

its driving me nuts
recently done a reinstall of xp and fs2004 and still same probs thanks anyway 🙂

naailyo Guest

hi.its not the processor. i had the same problem.it was my ram so i replaced it with the correct ram compatible with my motherboard and things started working properly. I do get the random stuterring and restarts.i would check with the ram manufacturer website what is compatible with your motherboard. i got a crash today when exiting flight simulator 2004. but otherwise i dont really get them. id just check everything over.someone might have already said what i said in this forum but i havent read all the threads yet.

Amd Athlon 64 x2 4400+
1.62gb ram kingston
Ati radeon x800GTO2 DDR3
dvd rw and cd rom
250gb maxtor hard drive
Email: floppynaailyusuf@hotmail.com

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...