SearchSearch 

Staying Centered in Winds

Jamie4590 Guest

I'm trying to get used to landing in windy conditions. A recent flight in only light winds caused the aircraft to veer off from the runway. I had selected LAND mode after getting lined up and normally the aircraft will land on the center line everytime. This is with no wind of course. When landing in the light winds the ILS localiser was spot on but it slowly moved off center as I came in to land and missed the runway completely. This was despite the fact LAND was engaged which makes its own corrections to stay on the localiser. How can I ensure the aircraft stays on the center line as I approach because when the AP is engaged I have no way of making steering corrections and have to rely on the LAND mode corrections? (which in this case failed)

Dont Know

3 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

I'm trying to get used to landing in windy conditions. A recent flight in only light winds caused the aircraft to veer off from the runway. I had selected LAND mode after getting lined up and normally the aircraft will land on the center line everytime. This is with no wind of course. When landing in the light winds the ILS localiser was spot on but it slowly moved off center as I came in to land and missed the runway completely. This was despite the fact LAND was engaged which makes its own corrections to stay on the localiser. How can I ensure the aircraft stays on the center line as I approach because when the AP is engaged I have no way of making steering corrections and have to rely on the LAND mode corrections? (which in this case failed)

Dont Know

There isn't too much you can do if the AP fails to recognise that you are going off course, but I can't think why AP wouldn't make for wind correction - it has any time I've flown. Did you verify that the APP was actually engaged and locked on to the glideslope? Its the only way I can see why it wouldn't fly towards the ILS. You'll have to land manually if it starts to occur again.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Jamie is it so hard to land manually ❓ It's not a disaster if you don't land exectly on the center line, is it ❓ 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

The fact that you mention LAND mode instead of APP makes me think that you're either using a panel or a gauge for Autoland.

Not sure whether adjusting to windy conditions lies within the scope of Autoland features.

If indeed your using APP instead, I concur with 99jolegg -- the AP usually makes the adjustments.

Let's keep in mind though that due to bugs in the default scenery, many airports are just simply out of tune which makes it impossible to make use of the AP or any Autoland feature.