Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

graphics card

matt279 Guest

hi
i recently downloaded the fsx demo and realised my graphics card isnt compatible.... Crying or Very sad
i need to get a new one thats compatible with fsx in a price range of about 50-70..
can anyone recomend a card i can buy plzzzzzzzz Smile

Pro Member Captain
Wing-man Captain

Depends whereabouts you are in the U.K. really ? if you want to buy mail order or visit the store ?. No p&p means you can spend more on a card, the reason I say this, is because, check out your local stores and see whats on offer at what prices. I get all my hardware from CCL, and for an extra 10, you can pick up a good gamers card such as this.............

256MB Sapphire Radeon X1600XT

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=6358&category_id=257&manufacturer_id=0

Or for 61.31 you can have one of these.......

256MB Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=6359&category_id=257&manufacturer_id=0

Good Luck. Thumbs Up!

BashDaBish Guest

You will need to tell us if you have AGP or PCI Express

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I wouldnt bother upgrading just fror the demo
FSX is going to be one of the first DX10 compliant "game" release.As of this moment,no company has released a DX10 gfx card

Also DX10 will only come with Vista,so if you are looking to fly FSX in all its glory,you are going to need $$$$$ Vista and a new gfx card at least
Sorry to spoil the party

whats the difference between pci and agp? which one is better?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

whats the difference between pci and agp? which one is better?

AGP is better, PCI is older and all of the cards are weak now.
PCIe is the latest and the best but your board has to be fairly new to have a slot for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci Old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agp Most motherboards support it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCIE New.

Radar

any suggestions for a agp graphic card? Right now I have a Radeon 9550. I was thinking of radeon x1600.Will I see an improvent with this card such as better framerate and overall graphics? I dont quit understand all the numbers associated with the card (9550, x1600 etc).

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Nice card, the numbers just mean different cards, you can search their site for information.

It depends what you want to spend.
Any card you buy now will work for FS9 and will work for FSX but...Vista will have DirectX 10 and the card for that hasn't been made yet, it should be out at the same time (or earlier) that Vista comes out.
Whatever you going to buy now will work with Vista and FSX but will not use DirectX 10 but will still work on Vista (clear as mud).

Radar

matt279 Guest

how can i tell if my my computer is PCI, AGP, or PCI-E
plz help meeeeeeee

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Do this:

Go to "Control Panel" -> Click on "System" icon -> Go to the "Hardware Tab" -> Click on "Device Manager" -> Press the cross by "Display Adapters" -> Right click on your GPU -> Click on "Properties" -> Under the "General" tab read "Location".

What does it say next to location?

Nick Very Happy

matt279 Guest

it says PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
is that PCI or PCI-E

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

That means you have a PCI expansion slot for graphics card. If you wish to upgrade you need to buy a PCI card.

As tomthetank and RadarMan said if you are upgrading for FSX there is no point unless you don't plan on getting Windows Vista to run FSX on.

Nick Very Happy

matt279 Guest

yeah i dont plan on getting windos vista as im perfectly happy with xp.
so will a Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB DDR2, PCI-E, DVI, TV Out, fit in my computer and is compatible with fsx....
thx very much for your help....much appreciated
matt Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

matt279 wrote:

Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB DDR2, PCI-E, DVI, TV Out,

No sorry it won't. You need to look for a PCI card. Make sure it isn't PCI-e

Nick Very Happy

matt279 Guest

is there a possible way to change my computer to support PCI-E cards instead of PCI?
which one of theese cards do you recomend for me and are they both compatible with fsx-------
XFX GF FX5200 256MB DDR PCI DVI/TVO
or
Sapphire RADEON 9250 - Graphics adapter - Radeon 9250 - PCI - 128 MB DDR - Digital Visual Interface (DVI) - TV out - bulk

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

I have been having a poke around and I haven't been able to find a GPU that is PCI that I can reccomend to you. My card ATi Radeon 9800 is a good 128MB PCI card, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that stocks it.

Sorry
Nick Very Happy

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

matt279 wrote:

is there a possible way to change my computer to support PCI-E cards instead of PCI?
which one of theese cards do you recomend for me and are they both compatible with fsx-------
XFX GF FX5200 256MB DDR PCI DVI/TVO
or
Sapphire RADEON 9250 - Graphics adapter - Radeon 9250 - PCI - 128 MB DDR - Digital Visual Interface (DVI) - TV out - bulk

I reccomend the 256MB, but I have never used either of them so I can't be sure. They are both compatible with FSX.

Check here : http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulatorx/product_info.html

matt279 Guest

cheers
so theres no way i can change my computer in any way to support PCI-E cards. thanks

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

matt279 wrote:

so theres no way i can change my computer in any way to support PCI-E cards

This I am not sure off! Someone else will have to help you on that one. Sorry

Nick Very Happy

matt279 Guest

cheers anyway

is there really gonna be a difference between directx9 and 10? Just dont know if its worth getting vista. Can you install Vista with xp on it already?Probably a stupid question. Also I want to know if vista will be compatible with my other programs on my comp such as recording software(protools)etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

is there really gonna be a difference between directx9 and 10? Just dont know if its worth getting vista. Can you install Vista with xp on it already?Probably a stupid question. Also I want to know if vista will be compatible with my other programs on my comp such as recording software(protools)etc.

Yes DX 10 will be worth using.
Yes you can load Vista on top of XP (upgrade version) if your computer has enough "power".
No one know if all programs will work with Vista yet, most will or can be adapted to like 9X programs can be used on XP.

Radar

BashDaBish Guest

cheechm wrote:

matt279 wrote:

so theres no way i can change my computer in any way to support PCI-E cards

This I am not sure off! Someone else will have to help you on that one. Sorry

Nick Very Happy

Radarman has already hinted at this for you. You will need a new motherboard that has PCIe. But it doesn't end there. If you get a new motherboard you will need to make sure it is compatiable with your CPU and your memory. You will be lucky if it is just a motherboard you need.

If all you can afford to buy is a new graphics card then I suggest you look for a used PCI card from online auction sites or local computer stores that sell 2nd hand equipment.

I hope this helps.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

cheechm wrote:

Do this:

Go to "Control Panel" -> Click on "System" icon -> Go to the "Hardware Tab" -> Click on "Device Manager" -> Press the cross by "Display Adapters" -> Right click on your GPU -> Click on "Properties" -> Under the "General" tab read "Location".

What does it say next to location?

Nick Very Happy

I think this is wrong, my ASUS A8N32 has PCIe x16, etc. But when I try your suggestion, I get the same as the original poster, ie: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 , or PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0 , and I have 2 PCIe cards working.

The only way I know to find out what slots are there, is to know the name and model number of the actual Mobo.

Just checked out SiSoft Sandra, that will give you the info you need. Download a free copy from http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra/

HTH.

matt279 Guest

hi
i just downloaded sisoftware sandra and it still said PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0
but it also said ive got an NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT graphics card installed and it said that this is an AGP card.
so does that mean my motherboard can support AGP cards and PCI cards?

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I think this topic is running in two places at present, but never mind. I would think your motherboard can take an AGP graphics card, but in which denomination I don't know, ie, x2, x4, x8. It does also take PCI cards, but to my knowledge these are not for graphics, mainly for sound cards, extra USB sockets, TV reception hardware, and other various bits, but not graphics.

If you can give Liono on the other thread, the actual name and model of your motherboard, then Liono should be able to pinpoint all the info you need.

Have just run a check on your card, it was produced as a cost concious product, a reasonable performance for a lowish price.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/40835

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

Hi every body

My question on that matter is: Am I going to run to any power supply problem by replacing my x 9600 to x1600. Today I have a 450W PS.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Rafi wrote:

Hi every body

My question on that matter is: Am I going to run to any power supply problem by replacing my x 9600 to x1600. Today I have a 450W PS.

Have a look here Arrow

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21274/how-much-of-power-supply-do-you-need/

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Rafi wrote:

Hi every body

Rafi,
Did you get a new monitor yet.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

Thanks Greekman72

Too many questions and very few answers but I menaged by giving the same setup once with my current card and once with my future card ( maybe) and it came up with 20W different so I can sleep with that So U really helped me.