Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Troubleshooting missing DME?

Hi there!

For some strange reason, when I set the button to NAV (LJ45), and set the correct frequency, the DME never seems to work. The localizer works without any issue.

In fact, it doesn't matter what airport I fly to, and what runway I select. All of them gives a result of 0.0NM when switching to NAV.

If I rely on the GPS then it meassures the distance.

Any clues on how to debug this wierd problem?

PS. Using FS2004.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hi there!

For some strange reason, when I set the button to NAV (LJ45), and set the correct frequency, the DME never seems to work. The localizer works without any issue.

In fact, it doesn't matter what airport I fly to, and what runway I select. All of them gives a result of 0.0NM when switching to NAV.

If I rely on the GPS then it meassures the distance.

Any clues on how to debug this wierd problem?

PS. Using FS2004.

Are you definitely tuned to a VOR station within around 70nm?

In fact, I've just tried to tune in on a VOR/DME on my ILS course, and it works, ie. it gives out a distance.

So the problem seems to be airports/runways only.

Don Wood Guest

DME does not exist on many real-world ILS approaches. Since FS9 tries to model the real world, I doubt they would put a DME on an ILS that did not really have one. I'm not suggesting there may not be a bug in FS9 that prevents you from getting distance when you should be able to but have you confirmed the ILS you are flying actually does have DME?

For an ILS, distance is nice information to have but is totally unnecessary to fly a precision approach. If you keep the needles centered on the approach, you will remain exactly where you need to be for a successful landing.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I've just landed (a bit roughly, but you know how LJ45 flies) in ENGM, and the DME worked nicely here. I'm guessing either I have specific issues with certain airports or there's some errors in the information.

And I'm pretty only using the distance to give me an idea on how long it takes till touchdown, and generally, just assuring that I'm approaching correctly.

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I've just landed (a bit roughly, but you know how LJ45 flies) in ENGM, and the DME worked nicely here. I'm guessing either I have specific issues with certain airports or there's some errors in the information.

And I'm pretty only using the distance to give me an idea on how long it takes till touchdown, and generally, just assuring that I'm approaching correctly.