Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

ADDING AIRCRAFTS AFTER YOU REINSTALLED FLIGHT SIMULATOR '04

HyePilot Guest

Hi, I have downloaded a lot of aircraft for Flight Simulator 2004 a long while ago, and I have re-installed Flight Simulator 3 time for a problem I was experiencing a lot. After I uninstalled it, and re-installed, i downloaded more aircraft and I still flew with those aircrafts. The second time I re-installed it, I would put some downloaded airplanes in the my fs9 aircraft folder and when I go to the main menu to find the airplane, it wouldn't show. It wouls only except recently downloaded planes, not the old ones I saved to a temorary folder on my desktop. BEFORE EVERY UNINSTALLATION AND REINSTALLATION, I WOULD SAVE THE AIRCRAFTS THAT I REALLY LIKED TO A TEMPORARY FOLDER AND AFTER I REINSTALLED FLIGHT SIMULATOR, I WOULD PASTE THOS AIRCRAFTS INTO MY FS9 AIRCRAFT FOLDER AND WHEN I GO MAIN MENU, I WOULD NOT SEE THOSE AIRCRAFTS. PLEAS HELP AND IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, PLEASE ADVISE. THIS IS EXTREAMLY URGENT!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Make sure that the aircrafts you have downloaded are actually in the FS9 aircrafts folder. If they are, the problem might be in the aircraft.cfg file. Make sure that all the aircrafts are numbered accordingly and don't forget to save any changes to the .cfg file 😉

what is this .cfg file?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

what is this .cfg file?

Editing the aircraft.cfg file fixes the problems of the original poster in most cases.

HyePilot Guest

how do i get the aircraft.cfg? IS it a program?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

HyePilot wrote:

how do i get the aircraft.cfg? IS it a program?

Each aircraft has its own aircraft.cfg file. Without it, the aircraft won't fly.
Use Windows Explorer and navigate to any aircraft inside your FS9 - open the folder b737_400 for example and inside you'll find a text document that opens in Notepad. This is your aircraft.cfg file. It looks something like this:

[fltsim.0]
title=Boeing 737-400
sim=Boeing737-400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
kb_checklists=Boeing737-400_check
kb_reference=Boeing737-400_ref
atc_id=N737Z
atc_airline=American Pacific
atc_flight_number=1123
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type="737-400"
ui_variation="American Pacific Airways"
visual_damage=1
description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."

[fltsim.1]
title=Boeing 737-400 Paint1
sim=Boeing737-400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=1
atc_id=N737W
atc_airline=Landmark
atc_flight_number=1123
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type="737-400"
ui_variation="Landmark Airlines"
visual_damage=1
description="One should hardly be surprised that the world's most prolific manufacturer of commercial aircraft is also the producer of the world's most popular jetliner. The 737 became the best-selling commercial jetliner worldwide when orders for it hit 1,831 in June 1987 (surpassing Boeing's own 727 as the previous champ). However, it wasn't always that way\s in the first few years of production, there were so few orders that Boeing considered canceling the program. They didn't, and the airplane has more than proven itself in over three decades of service."

The Panel folder and the Sound folder inside the Aircraft folder also have their own, individual .cfg files. Besides that, there is also the fs9.cfg inside the Hidden Files and Folders.
The fs9.cfg doesn't need much editing.

HyePilot Guest

So, what should I do basically? I open up the notepad document and then what? What can I do to make the aircraft appear on my FS9? 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

fltsim.0]
title=Boeing 737-400
sim=Boeing737-400
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=
atc_id=N737Z
atc_airline=American Pacific
atc_flight_number=1123
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type="737-400"
ui_variation="American Pacific Airways"
visual_damage=1

Make sure that the first line of thext (bold text at the top) that the numbers are continuous 0,1,2...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

Make sure that the first line of thext (bold text at the top) that the numbers are continuous 0,1,2...

That's a good starting point. The original poster wrote:

...I would put some downloaded airplanes in the my fs9 aircraft folder and when I go to the main menu to find the airplane, it wouldn't show. It wouls only except recently downloaded planes, not the old ones I saved to a temorary folder on my desktop...

Problem is, we have no idea whether the aircraft have been installed correctly (it's so easy) --- we don't even know whether they are actual aircraft or just textures. Don't laugh, he wouldn't be the first one to try and make textures fly without having the aircraft.

Since we've started on that downward spiral again of having to coax every little bit of information out of our poster(s) [we don't really know how many different Guests are asking the questions here...] the easiest solution is:

Guest, whichever one is asking the questions, just post the aircraft.cfg of the aircraft in question and we can edit it here.

HyePilot Guest

It's an actual FS9 airplane, and it's not a texture lol. It has a panel, a model, and sound, etc. I still don't get exactly what to do. Be more specific in what you guys are telling me. Step by step what to do, and then I'll get it, and I'll see what I can do. Thanks...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

HyePilot wrote:

It's an actual FS9 airplane, and it's not a texture lol. It has a panel, a model, and sound, etc. I still don't get exactly what to do. Be more specific in what you guys are telling me. Step by step what to do, and then I'll get it, and I'll see what I can do. Thanks...

You are very vague as to what your problem actually is -- you are vague about who you are (can't be bothered posting under the same name within one thread) yet, you want us to be more specific? How is this going to work? I don't find your proposal 'lol' at all.

So it's an FS9 airplane. What FS 9 airplane?? Please don't tell me it's a Boeing with wings on it.

Have a closer look at what you just posted: 'It has a panel, a model, and sound, etc...'. My question: Does etc. include a texture folder for the livery you want? Does it include an aircraft.cfg file and an air file? What model is it? All this can have a bearing on whether the plane shows up in the menu or not.

What is an actual FS 9 plane

Is it supposed to be there after you've installed fs9 or is it just because it says for fs9 in the file description?

I wouldn't have to ask all those questions had you posted the aircraft.cfg in the first place as I suggested in my previous post.
How are we supposed to tell you step by step what to do if you don't even do the first step?

While we're on the subject of 'plane not showing up' --- there are at least to kinds of 'not showing up' in the display window of the Create A Flight menu. One is you can only see a black, empty space, the other one, you can actually see the aircraft but it's naked. It's got no paint on it -- no, not raw metal either. Surrender

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Tailhook, I understand that you are getting frustrated over this because the question is not clear, but the guest that's posting the question is also frutrated because he can't fly the damn plane he wanted so much and all those "out of space" files in an aircraft folder are even more confusing to him. That's the reason he is doesn't haven the patience to write a fully understood question. He's in a hurry, angry at the FS9 and would just love it if we could read his mind and give'em an answer of his dreams. hehehe 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

VegasFlyer, one of the things I'm trying to convey in a subtle manner I hope, is that the first requirement is exactly that: PATIENCE. Without patience all around -- NO RESULT. I could write a tome on patience... don't worry, not now.

No one who just starts out simming knows how to install aircraft or add textures to an existing aircraft. That's the starting point. But instead of sitting down and reading a tutorial that deals with those basics many impatient new enthusiasts skip the basics and decide to tweak, edit, design their own aircraft or found their own VA. It just doesn't work. The old adage "Learn to walk before you try to run" comes to mind.

Have a look in the archives and you'll find many threads which took up several pages and got many people envolved to try and solve a simple problem, only to find out at the end that the topic starter didn't know how to unpack a .zip file or couldn't distinguish between a file and a folder.

I've always thought that anyone who is able to type a question (which requires the ability to write) can also read. Not reading the Stickies that are plastered all over the place is not impatience, it's simply lazyness.

I'm very much aware that those who post questions in a vague manner are always in a hurry and that none of us has the means of slowing down those kids and drum (common) sense into their brains.
What we can do though is make them sit back, retrace their steps and think the whole thing over instead of getting mad and hammering away on their keyboards without any particular aim in mind.

Our persistent probing for detailed information regarding their problem (though seemingly embarrassing to them - why, I don't know) could possibly save them hundreds of dollars and more frustration in the future.

How so?

This is what happens too often: Impatience and lazyness has led to utter frustration, so the kid persuades the old folks to by him a PMDG. Ha, installation was absolutely painless. Now we're getting somewhere!

For a few days we don't hear of 'the kid' in the forums. Then... sometimes under yet another alias, we'll get questions like:

Q: what is the apu PLZ HELP!!!!

Q: i can't find the gps

Q: where is the light switch

Q: i can start my engines but then they just stop

Q: how do i program the fmc ...etc. etc..

Once we've succeeded in persuading the kid to read the manuals and check out the support forums there is another spell of silence. Meanwhile the kid is about to explode: All those Censored switches, manuals and checklists Evil or Very Mad

Then, the kid will sell off everything that is remotely connected with flightsimming (what a shame) or he'll be back asking sensible questions, no longer afraid to admit that he's a beginner.
And suddenly, as if by magic, simple issues can be solved swiftly and easily.

All is well, no problemo. Except, the kid has wasted a lot of money on sophisticated payware which he will never use again, because by the time he is old enough to have the patience to study the procedures and manuals, that software will be so dated that it has become virtually useless.

Greetings to you VegasFlyer 🍻

Btw, I've so given up to try and read peoples minds 😀

HyePilot Guest

Okay, to make everyone minds a little clearer, is that, the airplane is a A320-211 download freeware. When I see I can't see the airplane, there is [b]NO[b] black box when I search for airplanes when FS9 is booted up, the problem is, after I downloaded the free ware, I pasted it to my FS9 aircraft folder, and when I boot up Flight Simulator 9, I wouldn't see "Airbus" under the airplane manufacture. I only see the airplanes flight simulator 9 came with such as the Boeing, Lockhead, Cessna, etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

OK so we know it's an Airbus.

So now we need to know where did you download the aircraft? If you could post the file name that would be good?

So then I can do a detailed post on how to install it

HyePilot Guest

I got the airbus A320-211, Armavia Airways from: http://IFDG (Now closed)

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I'm downloading teh A318 it has the smae files as the A320. Check back in about 30mins for a very detailed report on how to install this aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Look under iFDG in your menu.

HyePiloy Guest

Hey Guys, I want to thank all that helped, my aircraft is now working perfectly, I reinstalled the aircraft and it works just fine. By the way, since you're reading this, please check out my website along with my videos at http://www.YouTube.com/hyepilotproductions