Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

New Computer: Which Graphics Card?

robertjhenry Guest

hello i am thinking about getting this as a new computer
http://www.bban.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=INTELDUO%2DPERFORMER

but i need advise on what Graphics card i should get i am willing to spend up to 1300 on this computer.

Pro Member Captain
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) Captain

Awsome looks good

robertjhenry Guest

anyone?

matt279 Guest

looks a good computer
i would recommend the radeon x1600PRO 256mb

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

GForce7900GT, or if you can afford it the GForce 7950 two in one. I can't speak for ATI cards, have never used one. probably just as good, but different. The best you can afford, always applies for graphics cards.

robertjhenry Guest

i want a graphics card that will let me play fsx with full detail but i dont want it to be to expensive because i know i will have to upgrade it when vista and driect x 10 come out

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You first message leave us the impression that you are willing to spend some good money for a card.Anyway...
Get Ken Tel's suggested card.It will run FSX more than great.After some months ,and if you get Vista. sell it and buy a direct X10 compatible GFX.
Too complicated?...Then dont buy anything untill you get Vista and FSX. Wink

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

What Greekman has said, makes a lot of sense. Make do with your present setup, and then when FSX and Vista with DX10 are available you then make a selection of hardware.

Wish I had the patience and forethought to do just that, spent plenty of cash building my present setup, which will probably need another upgrade for FSX, DX10, and Vista.

robertjhenry Guest

thank you all Laughing

but i am still going ahead with this build as i do not intend to upgrade till
1. vista has come down in price
2. dx10 graphics cards come down in price

hopefully this will happen some time in 2008.

so my last question to you is witch card is better the 7900GT or 7900GTX

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

7900GTX. Wink

robertjhenry Guest

Thank you Greekman Very Happy

but now that i have had time to think about it i will wait till next year before getting a new computer. Thank you all for your help Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Looks like a good computer [sp?] Thumbs Up!

Munkeh Guest

The 7900 is a good card when it works. But most of them seem to suffer "sudden death syndrome". Definately the least reliable nvidia card.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Oh Dear, I'm running 2 of them! Suggest you think again!

Actually, that statement is wrong, I'm running three of them, have just fitted another in my spare computer. In over 30 years of building computers, the weakest component in my experience has always been the Power Supply. Bad QC, under specified components, poor connectors. I never buy cheap PSUs, it's the heart of any computer. I've about 6 or 7 PSUs in storage, (keep saying I must get rid of them), all in working order, but all cheapos. I wish that the case makers would stop fitting their choice of PSU, invariably cheap, underpowered, and nastie.